MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe Davey but he has a unique garden shed :
first-shed-built-using-common-core-math-millenial-high-schoolers-3347227.jpg

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
With cooler weather ahead it may be a good idea to work on the tomatoes. Blight can be nasty. Trimming leaves is a good first step. Only indeterminate tomatoes should be trimmed. That means the plants continually bear fruit. Most varieties do that. I like to trim real good in the bottom foot of the plant. Keep the leaves off the ground. Normally blight starts there. I also spray the plants down with copper fungicide. That is allowed for organic use. Then again every 7-10 days. Always water at the base and early in the day. Avoid wetting the leaves. If you grow heirloom tomatoes this will really help avoid disease. It helps with all tomatoes.
n

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looking at about 35# of tomatoes setting on counter top in kitchen. Salsa making this weekend. I use Mrs Wages mild salsa mix and docter it up a bit and freeze in pint containors. A couple might not make it to the freezer YUM. YUM.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
my radish crop was shit this year, Kohlrabi never made it out of the ground, peppers are really small yet, I think i planted them too late, watermelons are to be determined. the sunflowers, corn, carrots, beans, potatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins and gourds all look pretty good though. new garden location so that may have had an effect on some things both good and bad.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My garden was a total failure due to deer predation. The deer mowed everything down a few weeks ago. EVEN MY POTATOES! Don't know what happened, but I think the vermin hit the 7ft tall fence wide open and ripped it. If you're looking to bow hunt in Minot this fall, I'll have a blind setup.
The worst part, NO BLT's! The best part, tasty venison this winter.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The heat is too much for things like peppers and cucumbers. It knocks down the buds. Luckily my peppers flowered early. Not so much with the cucumbers. My Carbon tomatoes are getting sun scald. I had to shade them today. Probably won’t grow them again.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
This year we planted 2 varieties of jalapeños. Three plants were the same ones we did last year, no problems with them. But the new variety we tried this year was called Emerald Fire, they are having an issue 484EFCB2-81CF-4AD9-8CA8-239A5A80245A.jpg anyone know what is the problem I am having? We won’t be planting them again, just wondering if I’m maybe watering them to much or not enough. After harvesting over 350 cucumbers in 5 weeks and the heat of last weekend kicking the shit out of the plants, they were pulled last night.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Peppers dont like a lot of water. I think Daveys right with blossom end rot. I check my tomatoes and peppers when they are small and knock off that little blossom that sticks to the bottom of fruit and then I have little problem with it. So many peppers and tomatoes left that I ran out of people that will take them. Wife is headed to Fargo to get rid of a pickup load to friends and family there.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever grow yard long green beans ? I tried some this year for the first time and will grow them again , They taste just as good as the regular ones.

dscn6810.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I love raw green beans fresh out of the garden , I'd rather eat them raw than cooked when they are fresh but frozen and baked is ok too .

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Blossom End Rot, all my tomatoes got it last year, they say to much fertilizer, had really nice tomatoes coming and they all ended up with the rot. My garden this year is shot, gave up on it 2 weeks ago. Next year it's going to be the farmers market, or Veggies from Walmart

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blossom End Rot, all my tomatoes got it last year, they say to much fertilizer, had really nice tomatoes coming and they all ended up with the rot. My garden this year is shot, gave up on it 2 weeks ago. Next year it's going to be the farmers market, or Veggies from Walmart

I said the same thing last year but it's hard to quit if you really enjoy it . I downsized and you would be amazed how much produce you can get out of a small space. It was a win win , I planted it and wife picks the weeds when she picks the strawberries .

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
0B314DF6-0800-45F9-A706-38AD3300E681.jpg

Almost three pounds. Carbon Heirloom variety

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone ever grow yard long green beans ? I tried some this year for the first time and will grow them again , They taste just as good as the regular ones.

dscn6810.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I love raw green beans fresh out of the garden , I'd rather eat them raw than cooked when they are fresh but frozen and baked is ok too .

I will be growing those beans next year. Results from the NDSU garden trials rave about these bean varieties.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked onions yesterday...
20180916_111817[1].jpg
Also was running low on seeds so I did a seed run by planting my smaller onions last fall and letting them grow this summer...
20180826_084851[1].jpg
These should be enough to last a few years!!!
20180916_173814[1].jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are the labs much help? Mine will pick her own fetch toys if you dont watch her.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are the labs much help? Mine will pick her own fetch toys if you dont watch her.

The younger yellow one has developed a taste for apples, kinda strange, also she will eat whole carrots, loves the damn things. Black one wont touch that stuff. I blame it on my wife, thats her baby! Actually her mom is full golden retriever and the dad was SUPPOSED to be great Pyrenees, but Im doubting it, shes 10 months now and still smaller than her mom, short hair, etc...

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only thing left in my garden is 28 hills of potatoes. Dug 2 hills this evening 44C0B5CF-AFC7-47A5-81B5-D89245012C32.jpg Nothing big yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88