Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The garden looks great! The rain and heat have been just what the garden needed. The corn I planted May 30th will be hip high on the 4th of July.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool beans, I don't have corn, my potatoes are quite high. Which I for some reason think is a bad thing (growth above ground instead of below). Don't know where I learned that, either the internet, mom, or the muppet show. Carrots are really struggling. Been waging the war on weeds, mostly thistles. I am somewhat fortunate to have the time to weed daily or that war would not be pretty.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My plan this year ~ Summer fallow. Planted just enough for a summer supply . Attending the farmers market if need be will allow me to eat more fish with my vegetables this winter. It's taken 15 years to accustom to being empty nesters.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine really looks crappy this year for some reason. Half of my Potatoes are weird and struggling, most tomatoes and peppers look stunted and the cucumbers and zucchini not the greatest and even my asparagus is weird with only 3 out of 4 plants sprouting this year. None of this is normal for me, its almost like they are getting burnt up from too much of something. I'm actually starting to think it might have something to do with all the ash from grilling and smoking food is causing my problems as the plants struggling the most is where most has been thrown more often.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
My potatoes are high too. Not sure what is up with that.

Cool beans, I don't have corn, my potatoes are quite high. Which I for some reason think is a bad thing (growth above ground instead of below). Don't know where I learned that, either the internet, mom, or the muppet show. Carrots are really struggling. Been waging the war on weeds, mostly thistles. I am somewhat fortunate to have the time to weed daily or that war would not be pretty.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not giving away as much as I used to. When its not appreciated, and more so expected it comes to an abrupt halt.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I took on a community garden plot this year also, out by 4h building in bismarck. Ground is really sandy and the amount of weeds coming up is ridiculous. I think Ive finally got it under control thanks to the assistance of my wife. Planted potatoes really late, they are only a few inches above the ground right now, but I dont care, theres plenty of summer left. Just netted my cherries and juneberries in the last few days, both are starting to turn color and become bird magnets. Honeyberry are picked.
Put in a new strawberry patch this year. I have a bunch of cuttings from various honeyberry and cherry rooting. I would have added pictures, but seems I cannot add any, keeps saying upload failed.

Attachments

f4afce807b98f8c344934c84bdd938aeeeb75c8b.jpg
Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine really looks crappy this year for some reason. Half of my Potatoes are weird and struggling, most tomatoes and peppers look stunted and the cucumbers and zucchini not the greatest and even my asparagus is weird with only 3 out of 4 plants sprouting this year. None of this is normal for me, its almost like they are getting burnt up from too much of something. I'm actually starting to think it might have something to do with all the ash from grilling and smoking food is causing my problems as the plants struggling the most is where most has been thrown more often.

hope you didn't get composted grass clippings from the local herbicide recycler (city waste dept's "free" compost)

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
hope you didn't get composted grass clippings from the local herbicide recycler (city waste dept's "free" compost)
Nope I have never really added any yard waste, even my own if I have sprayed at all. Only waste that sometimes goes into my garden is what came from the garden or some of my leaves in the fall. At least I helped the neighbor start a garden so we should be able to get a few tomatoes if mine don't do well. thinking I might have to get a soil test for next year considering the odd problems that started last year a little and are really prevalent this year

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
modern herbicides are super effective

on the drive to pick berries the grass I saw on both sides of the ditch had a stressed creepy yellow look along one section

beans were planted along both sides - and these were very wide ditches along a county highway - the entire ditches had been “burned" by an herbicide

when I got to the end of the bean field both sides of the ditch instantly turned back to normal dark green grass/clover

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our garden is doing Ok, other then this weed
CARPETWEED365.jpg
;:;banghead After 21 years of pulling weeds you would think there wouldn't be no seeds left for them to grow. Planted tomatoes, cucumbers, green, red, yellow and jalapeño pepper plants on Memorial weekend. The tomatoes have grown 2 feet and the pepper plants at least a foot since then. Cucumbers are vined out about 2.5 feet with lots of flowers on them. Planted potatoes the weekend after that and they are a foot tall. Have fertilized it once so far but I think its time to give it a little more. Do you guys hill your potatoes? As far as tall potatoes I wouldn't worry to much about that as last year my potato plants were 2.5 to 3 feet tall and they just laid over. And some this big
attachment.php

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
wifey started mulching with weed killer free grass clippings (no weed killer used on it)

no more carpetweed

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't put grass clippings in the garden because if a potato plant or cucumber or plant lays on the wet grass it has a tendency to start to get mold on it from staying to wet. ::thinking:: Could probably put grass around the tomato and pepper plants.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Supposedly you can eat carpet weed. I can't eat something that I hate so much.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
correct - tomatos and peppers seem to thrive when mulched with clippings - less watering too

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My plan this year ~ Summer fallow. Planted just enough for a summer supply . Attending the farmers market if need be will allow me to eat more fish with my vegetables this winter. It's taken 15 years to accustom to being empty nesters.

I'm with you. After about 40 years of maintaining a large garden, I seeded mine into grass this spring. It looks great....only had a $200 water bill! I have mowed it 3 times and they say after the 4th time you can hit it with a herbicide. Definitely needs that! I am down to rhubarb and asparagus now. Sure don't miss the backbreaking and tedious work but do miss the fresh veggies. Have to hit the farmers markets I guess.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or go raid a few gardens around the neighborhood after dark. ;:;popcorn :;:smokin

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 193
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88