Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sotaman

Established Member
Red Neck Weed Control.

My old man always made us use a push mower and bag our clippings. He would then put them in the garden about 4 inches thick and never had to weed. Held water nice too, but was it a pain in the ass until he got his garden filled.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or go raid a few gardens around the neighborhood after dark. ;:;popcorn :;:smokin
Less likely to be shot if you just hit up the community garden after dark, all the old people go home around 10pm.... :;:muahaha

- - - Updated - - -

My old man always made us use a push mower and bag our clippings. He would then put them in the garden about 4 inches thick and never had to weed. Held water nice too, but was it a pain in the ass until he got his garden filled.
Grass clippings are ok but they are really high in N, good to layer then with straw or some 'brown' material... Shredded leaves from previous fall would work good also.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with you. After about 40 years of maintaining a large garden, I seeded mine into grass this spring. It looks great....only had a $200 water bill! I have mowed it 3 times and they say after the 4th time you can hit it with a herbicide. Definitely needs that! I am down to rhubarb and asparagus now. Sure don't miss the backbreaking and tedious work but do miss the fresh veggies. Have to hit the farmers markets I guess.

I actually enjoy gardening so it has never seemed like hard work but it sure cuts into my time for other hobbies. I've had to make the decisions to go fishing for a weekend or stay home and work on the garden way to many times in the past so downsizing is perfect. Grandkids are old enough now so I helped them plant a small garden this year and they are prouder than the dickens of it. That's all the gardening satisfaction I need. I got too carried away and seed prices are getting right up there now days , I was spending $ 50 a year for sweet corn seed and only eating a dozen cobs.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
our clippings don’t decompose - they just lay on top

we water but not with a sprinkler so the clippings rarely stay wet long enough to break down

they simply shade the ground

we toss them out end of season virtually intact

- - - Updated - - -

2018-06-27_15.20.33.png

- - - Updated - - -

we stretch plastic wrap (thick shipping style) around the cages - it creates a light penetrable wind barrier for when the tomatoes are young

haven't gotten around to removing it yet - ha ha

- - - Updated - - -

2018-06-26_21.03.32.jpg

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice cages. Instead of wrap I grow tomatoes in rings made from 5 gallon buckets cut in half. They store easily and last many seasons.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen a few tomatoes and pea pods last night. Hoping the hot weather brings more good things. Pulled all the radishes from first planting on the 4th, got some good but most were thin. My seeding spacing, depth, and probably seed bed prep are all likely suspects. Live and learn. I have some more radishes that were planted a couple weeks after the first batch, they are up, hopefully build beneath the soil. If I am correct the hot weather (not just the current wave) of summer is not kind to radishes. Any thoughts... PS. I put salt on my radishes, pink himalayan salt to be precise, yum.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Keep the soil loose around radishes and onions lets them fill out more. Hard soil and they really have to work to put on size.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep the soil loose around radishes and onions lets them fill out more. Hard soil and they really have to work to put on size.

thanks for the tip, good project although this years crop may not benefit much.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Starting to get a little picking. Green beans, onions, cukes, potatoes and sweet bell peppers. Hot dam.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted a small garden this year and enjoying the free time. Eating peas ,Beans ,Radish ,June berries and strawberries like they are going out of style and new crop watermelons are only 3 bucks a piece at the store. Life doesn't get much better than this.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I planted a small garden this year and enjoying the free time. Eating peas ,Beans ,Radish ,June berries and strawberries like they are going out of style and new crop watermelons are only 3 bucks a piece at the store. Life doesn't get much better than this.
Might put a lot of mine in C R P next year.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan, your picture sucks because there isn't one. We put in 3 tomato plants, they are about 4' tall and have quite a few green tomatoes on them. Put in 3 green, 3 red, and 3 yellow peppers in, have a lot of golf ball sized peppers on them. 6 jalapeño plants, already picked 1 with lots of little ones on them. 30 potato plants that are about 1.5 to 2 feet tall. 4 hills of cucumbers and since Sunday at noon have picked 41 cucks that are 8 to 10 inches long. :;:rockit

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m surprised how many and how big the tomatoes are. The corn was hip high on the 4th.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
doesnt work, it shows the picture in the reply window, but browser hangs up when you click post...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
doesnt work, it shows the picture in the reply window, but browser hangs up when you click post...

You have it worse than me then. I tried it the regular way with no luck so I saved the pic to my desk top and snatched it from there with copy and paste.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88