Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recall my mom putting green tomatoes onto case flats that came with cases of pop and sliding them under her bed. I don't recall if it was to ripen them or keep them from ripening. Maybe it was their midnight snack....

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, to ripen the green ones. In the fall we pick ours before a frost and put around 10 gallons on the floor in the spare bedroom and keep it dark in there and once in a while check them to take out the ripe ones.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 extensions - frost deep --- 30 day outlook looks cold 90 day imo looks cold. Plant first week of June to escape frost.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am going to start my transplants for first of June planting.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thumbs UpLycan are those LED lights ? How many watts ,How many hours a day and about how many days did it take to create that jungle ?

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Tomatoes chopped cuz they were out of control...
IMG_20181117_093721.jpg93a378308c7e1ed44e96eb978469b58a.jpg
Ha hide the mary jane AND get fresh salsa for the Doritos..........

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone grow Brussel sprouts ? They are my new favorite vegetable and we have never planted them in the garden. I watched a couple videos on youtube and will have lots more to learn before spring. I'm getting excited for fresh garden food again. Wife told me we had way too many tomatoes last year but I picked them and froze them whole not knowing what I was going to do with them. What a stroke of dumb luck that was, My bride has been making the best tomato soup out of them so I'm going to plant way too many again this year. The cherry tomatoes make better soup than the large ones. It's nice to see the days are getting longer and this warm weather is a real treat. A couple more snow storms and we will be done with winter.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For any kind of soup or stew or hotdish just frozen tomatoes work just wonderful.

- - - Updated - - -

For any kind of soup or stew or hotdish just frozen tomatoes work just wonderful.
Same with onions.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are LED< light above the tomatoes uses 220w total and after they plants grew around that I added a 150w side light. Not sure how long it was going total, maybe 3 months from seed?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone grow Brussel sprouts ? They are my new favorite vegetable and we have never planted them in the garden. I watched a couple videos on youtube and will have lots more to learn before spring. I'm getting excited for fresh garden food again. Wife told me we had way too many tomatoes last year but I picked them and froze them whole not knowing what I was going to do with them. What a stroke of dumb luck that was, My bride has been making the best tomato soup out of them so I'm going to plant way too many again this year. The cherry tomatoes make better soup than the large ones. It's nice to see the days are getting longer and this warm weather is a real treat. A couple more snow storms and we will be done with winter.

I planted some 2 years ago and they took up a lot of space for what they produced, also the 'sprouts' didnt get very large. Plants grew tall tho, maybe 5 feet or so? I wasnt impressed....

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some juneberry I started from seed a couple months ago. They are all over 12" tall now...
20171220_130440.jpg
20180129_074258.jpg
20180304_213920.jpg
Rooted hardwood honeyberry/haskap cuttings... I transplanted these into their own containers a week or so ago.
20180305_101530.jpg

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have grown brussel sprouts a few times. Kinda waste of time. If the weather is hot they taste bitter.

One very dry year I left them in the garden until I got sick of looking at them....About December 10th. They were still green, growing. Everything else was brown or gray.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Same with onions.

Good to know , We had way too many onions too and left about half the crop in the garden. a few have started to sprout so my wife put them in a planter by the window and we are using the greens in salad.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good to know , We had way too many onions too and left about half the crop in the garden. a few have started to sprout so my wife put them in a planter by the window and we are using the greens in salad.
You just need to cut the onions up the way you would want to use them because if you leave them whole they get real mushy when thawed out. We cut how we want then put on cookie sheets to freeze then into zip lock freezer bags then you can take out what you need without thawing whole bag. You might want to double bag too or your freezer will smell of onion.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

Too many onions is a problem Ive never had. Its really handy to dice them, vacuum seal and freeze them for later. If you have a dicer at least, by hand it would be a huge pita.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too many onions is a problem Ive never had. Its really handy to dice them, vacuum seal and freeze them for later. If you have a dicer at least, by hand it would be a huge pita.

If you ever walk past bags of set onions on clearance 2 for $ 1 you might . I didn't think $ 3 was too much to spend but my bride did by the time we finally had them all in the ground.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have about 100 ft of straight property line that I want to grow fruit bushes.

Nanking, red currant, and honey

Can one of you berry jocks recommend cultivar, spacing, etc?

want two or three types - alternate them or three sections of each type? etc.

I’m berry bush retarded as you can see.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends your reasoning for growing them. If you want to harvest fruit, keep them together so you can net them, else the birds will eat most of what you plant. If its for wildlife it doesnt matter as much, but larger bushes could choke out smaller ones of different variety over time. Id skip nanking and plant either carmine jewel or juliet cherry or maybe both. Red currant rovada is kinda the standard now, but you could try rosetta or rolan or rotet also, I dont have any yet so cant speak for them as much. Honeyberry depends what you are looking for, do you want something for fresh eating or processing? The new U of S varieties, aurora, beast, beauty and blizzard are probably the most tested and best developed but there are also some varieties from berries unlimited that look interesting. Might be worth checking out. A lot of those come from Russia i think. Spaciing depends on what you want, do you want individual bushes when they mature or a hedge?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
eating on cereal, processing, rolling around in them - fruit/berries are a gift from God enjoyed many ways!

Guess I'll space them out just enough for a "porous hedge" - ha ha

yep - you are right - same plants side by side for netting, harvesting

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now is a good time to start your tomato and peppers. They will be ready to go by late May or early June. It's not about how big the plants are it's all about soil temps.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88