Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
B2BFA20D-9B40-4E89-9194-30693C4CA164.jpg

Curing Winter Sweet and Sunshine Kabocha squash. These are notably sweeter than buttercup. They keep very well.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ill have to weigh it tonight, its been out of the ground a few days so its lost a bit Im sure...

31398102_10160364001130451_3625644433019502592_n.jpg
I WIN!!! Any more challengers?

The game ain't over yet, I still have around 40 hills to dig up yet. :;:duel ::boxing::

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys do with hot peppers ? Deer ate the sweet ones but they left the Tiger paw habaneros alone. I stuck a tooth pick in one and put the toothpick in my mouth and broke out in a sweat.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What do you guys do with hot peppers ? Deer ate the sweet ones but they left the Tiger paw habaneros alone. I stuck a tooth pick in one and put the toothpick in my mouth and broke out in a sweat.
Wash and dry them real good then hang them in the picture window to dry . By Christmas they will glow in the dark and so will your butt when you use them. A friend of mine would dry them real good and then run them through a food grinder until they were fine ground and then use like regular black pepper. I know he had cast iron guts to do that. When you grind do it outside with a cross wind and you will be fine.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive got half a grocery bag full of Jays Peach Scorpions, its a cross between ghost pepper and Trinidad scorpion that turns peachy colored when ripe. Maybe 1/3 of mine got to peach stage, but even the non peachy ones are freakin hot! I put some in pickles and my wife likes them chopped up sprinkled over food. Ill probably dehydrate most of them for adding to recipes. I made the mistake of trying to take out my contacts a few days ago after handling them without gloves and was in agony for about 10 minutes afterward, dumb move.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well unless one of you other green thumbs has a potato bigger than Lycan it looks like he has the biggest. I didn’t quite make it to 2 pounds. :(
08D1D011-0A20-436E-B3E6-99EFA5044F4C.jpg

These three went 1.75 pounds each 105DDFF6-FB3C-42D2-98E1-E587B17C9323.jpg

Filled up a 5 gallon bucket full of ones that weighed 3/4 of a pound to a pound and a half.

This garden hasn't seen water since the last time it rained (maybe a month?) I wonder how big of one I could of had if I had watered it more. :;:huh ;:;banghead

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not me, I grow tater tots compared to you guys. I'd say Lycan has the record for white potato and you have the record for red.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm hooked on dehydrated tomatoes, Sliced them about 1/4'' or thicker and cherry tomatoes I cut in half but left some skin so they just folded open and stayed intact. I did 2 full batches thinking that was plenty and I was going to use them for cooking but they were also very good to snack on. Some went in soup and salads and were good there too.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is always next year for the big potato, yeah I follow the Vikings and the twins. Have to dig carrots yet.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did You fertilize Your spuds and if so what kind?

I use an, 11-13.3-20-11.3-.33 This is the analysis of the fertilizer I use on my garden, lawn and Mrs.Tikkalovers flower pots and beds. Don't ask me how much I use because I just guess at what I put on. My garden is 16x16 and I guess I put on maybe an ice-cream pail to a pail and a half on in a growing season. The trick is to fertilize a little, more often, than a lot all at once. I call it "spoon feeding the plants". Remember, potatoes love potassium chloride. The potato growers at Karlsrue spread it on the potato pivots anywhere from 500 to a 1000 pounds to the acre.............Oh, and will not find this fertilizer in any store or garden center. :cool: :)

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are planning on planting garlic, the time to plant is very soon. The forecast is getting colder every day. Cover the dirt with straw and wire to keep it from blowing away. Next spring it will pop up through the straw without weeds. I have had 100% success growing garlic in the fall.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That time again for me, sent out my seed order this AM. Must be cabin fever. Now I do the rotation planning and draw it all out on paper of what I want where.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
That time again for me, sent out my seed order this AM. Must be cabin fever. Now I do the rotation planning and draw it all out on paper of what I want where.

I got the seed catalog in the mail yesterday and threw it away. I'm going back to buying started plants this year. The tomatoes that I started from seed grew last year but they were just way behind. I'm more of a lazy gardener anyway.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have so many seeds its hard to justify ordering more but there are always new varieties that look like it would be fun to try. Too bad I dont have an acre to plant instead of my little 20x30 plot.

Heres a big indoor tomato thats going kinda crazy... Pic is a couple days ago.
20180106_190915.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do you guys order seeds from and how do you store them from year to year ? I have been buying at fleet farms and walmart and since I can't walk past a bargain I pick up a few when they go on sale after planting season ends and I keep them in gallon zip lock bags but I ended up with a mixed up mess. The last couple years I've had bad luck with poor germination with no rhyme or reason to the date stamp on the seed package so I need to plant them in a food plot and start over. Some of those bargains looked better on clearance than they did in the garden.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gurneys have what works out to 1/2 off all seeds and plants until Jan 31. But you have to order over 50$ and get a 25$ coupon off, over 100$ get a 50$ coupon off, 200$ get 100 off. Guess where Iam at. They send seeds or plants just before its time to plant. Works for me. Seeds will come first part of Feb incase your starting in house. Plants come kind of by their planting zone map.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking forward to heading to the local green house come spring. I don't have the room to start indoors and it is fun to bring my girls with to look and have them help pick, between me and the wife and grandparents they go there probably 5 times a year for either garden plants or flowers. They are getting pretty good at helping plant but need a little weeding practice.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do you guys order seeds from and how do you store them from year to year ? I have been buying at fleet farms and walmart and since I can't walk past a bargain I pick up a few when they go on sale after planting season ends and I keep them in gallon zip lock bags but I ended up with a mixed up mess. The last couple years I've had bad luck with poor germination with no rhyme or reason to the date stamp on the seed package so I need to plant them in a food plot and start over. Some of those bargains looked better on clearance than they did in the garden.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5mL-Clear-...hash=item25daef2fc7:m:mZc8nCyHSMHRyRtjsSZ27gg
d with the variety, brand and date purchased. I put some of those silica dessicant balls in there from the little white packets that come in purses and shit to help keep moisture from building up and keep them in the freezer. Most seeds will last several years like that. Ive got some that are close to a decade old that seem to germinate fine for me still. Basically just keep them dry and cold and they will keep.
I use little plastic vials to store seeds with scotch tape on them, lable

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93