Big kitty snared near Mcleod ND

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
imagine if they let you keep incidental walleye taken when you chuck spears at "dark shapes" up in Devils Lake

Bad example I know - but I think it's to ensure nobody is tempted to up their chances of incidental takes

speaking of which - ARE there places in the DL basin where a guy could poach walleyes spearing if he was so inclined?

At every advisory meeting I have been to when discussing a situation somewhat similar the G&DF director has said wardens have "discretion" when dealing with these things.

Anyone want to bet on what G&F office this will end up mounted in?

It seems like if it is a spike buck or if this was a yearling cat it is higher odds of that "discretion" kicking in.

They have a year round season, the G&F has publicly said they don;t really want lions outside the badlands.......so.....

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
More cats moving east? This one near McLeod, one near Hillsboro, and one spotted near Wahpeton all in the last couple months.

There have been lions in that general area for years, though not many. I've seen one in a fleeting glimpse and was enough to know it was not a yote or deer within 200yds of the horses. In about 10yrs I think we have confirmed 3 cats around our farm, mom heard one scream and scared the crap out of her(same week a neighbor 1mi away had a horse killed), dad and our blue healer came across something that scared the healer crapless which isn't normal and dad didn't get a good look at it, and then my sighting near the horses.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Confiscating the cat falls into the same G&F BS as not being able to pick up antlers if a skull is attached.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

Remember this is the same agency and their "trained professionals" that for years told us here in ND that we did not have mountain lions despite numerous encounters and livestock depredations until a couple out of state mountain bikers had their biking shorts soiled.

It is why I always get a kick when certain people on here talk about "trained professionals"..........

So they have the ability to decide not to issue a citation..........yet still take the hide and skull..........it will look good mounted in a G&F office.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha you haven't spent much time in western ND the past 5 years have you...

No, I haven't. My thought was that if Mt Lions are as easy to locate as Bighorns, the quota would get filled quickly even without hounds.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
imagine if they let you keep incidental walleye taken when you chuck spears at "dark shapes" up in Devils Lake

Bad example I know - but I think it's to ensure nobody is tempted to up their chances of incidental takes

speaking of which - ARE there places in the DL basin where a guy could poach walleyes spearing if he was so inclined?

I have suggested for several years that they consider allowing an "incidental catch" tag system for paddlefish in the Missouri below Garrison. No way, no how. They think people will stand around chucking rapalas intentionally targeting paddles. I've caught several paddles over the years by accident with cranks, and even one on a floating jig. Even then I don't think I'd ever target them intentionally, just seems like a waste of time.

But on the very rare occasion a person caught one by accident...it'd be nice to keep one a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember this is the same agency and their "trained professionals" that for years told us here in ND that we did not have mountain lions despite numerous encounters and livestock depredations until a couple out of state mountain bikers had their biking shorts soiled.

It is why I always get a kick when certain people on here talk about "trained professionals"..........

So they have the ability to decide not to issue a citation..........yet still take the hide and skull..........it will look good mounted in a G&F office.

Relax...some may even consider a rancher a "trained professional" when it comes to animal husbandry or range science.

I think we can all get testy when someone outside our own profession offers up some advice.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. At least if a person were intentionally targeting a mountain lion, they'd hopefully be prepared for the sticker shock at the taxidermist.

Accidentally getting a cat dropped in your lap that you could keep is akin to running your car into a power pole. Yeah sure, you get a shiny new paint job, but you ain't gonna like what it set you back.

Bohica

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would he been able to have kept it if he had shot it when it was dead, and then remove the snare? Tell the G&F that you don't have any idea how it got the snare mark.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many had to google where McLeod is lol I know I did. I'll save you the time, it looks to be about 20 miles ESE of Lisbon (and right in the middle of the Sheyenne National Grasslands).

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The wolf is coming, I know a guy who raises cattle, asked him what he thought of them and all he said was, shoot

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
GST--When did G&F tell anyone there were no lions in the state? I've been to a lot of meetings for a lot of years and have never once heard them say that. They did say a long time ago they didn't believe that they had any breeding cats in the state, but that changed when the SD population expanded. I think you're telling lies again.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
GST--When did G&F tell anyone there were no lions in the state? I've been to a lot of meetings for a lot of years and have never once heard them say that. They did say a long time ago they didn't believe that they had any breeding cats in the state, but that changed when the SD population expanded. I think you're telling lies again.

i have heard the same thing so not lies

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
For a long time they said we didn't have a resident population of mountain lions aka a breeding population. I don't think you'll ever hear them say there's no chance an individual animal of any species has wondered into the state. It happens know with wolves, bears, wolverines, etc but one probably wouldn't argue that we have a viable population of those animals hear. That's the difference and really, prior to the time of the mountain bike incident, sightings were rare. When South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana populations started to grow and expand was when we started seeing more here and a breeding population was established. I know a couple wardens and I can tell you definitively they do not have discretion in cases like this. The department heads at Game and Fish might but the field warden does not. I'm pretty certain this was an incidental catch but once you cross that line and allow them to be kept where does it stop? I've heard of incidences of bighorn sheep and elk being shot thinking they were deer, more than one elk killed when someone doesn't realize they hit the first one and shoot again, mule deer or whitetail being shot thinking they were shooting the other species. All probably honest, yet negligent, mistakes. Should they be allowed to keep those animals. It sucks in these situations but unless it's black and white you'll always have problems.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

Shortly before the mountain biker incident there was a young horse tore up by I believe Denbigh. The G&F came out and said it was not a lion as there were no lions in the state.

I was on the board and at the meeting of the NDSA when Randy Krile stood in front of us and in response to complaints of livestock (primarily horses) being attacked and in a couple cases killed and partially eaten claimed there were no mt lions in ND. When pressed he then quantified it with no "resident" lions living in ND.

Now when you claim I am "telling lies again", that infers I have told lies on more than one occasion previously. So I must ask you to substantiate that with the examples of where it happened........or perhaps you are the one telling the lie.

- - - Updated - - -

I have suggested for several years that they consider allowing an "incidental catch" tag system for paddlefish in the Missouri below Garrison. No way, no how. They think people will stand around chucking rapalas intentionally targeting paddles. I've caught several paddles over the years by accident with cranks, and even one on a floating jig. Even then I don't think I'd ever target them intentionally, just seems like a waste of time.

But on the very rare occasion a person caught one by accident...it'd be nice to keep one a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Relax...some may even consider a rancher a "trained professional" when it comes to animal husbandry or range science.

I think we can all get testy when someone outside our own profession offers up some advice.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. At least if a person were intentionally targeting a mountain lion, they'd hopefully be prepared for the sticker shock at the taxidermist.

Accidentally getting a cat dropped in your lap that you could keep is akin to running your car into a power pole. Yeah sure, you get a shiny new paint job, but you ain't gonna like what it set you back.

Allen, note the words "get a kick"....as in finding humor in as in not "testy" or unrelaxed".

- - - Updated - - -

How many had to google where McLeod is lol I know I did. I'll save you the time, it looks to be about 20 miles ESE of Lisbon (and right in the middle of the Sheyenne National Grasslands).

If you go to the bar there, make sure you don;t lean on it

- - - Updated - - -

For a long time they said we didn't have a resident population of mountain lions aka a breeding population. I don't think you'll ever hear them say there's no chance an individual animal of any species has wondered into the state. It happens know with wolves, bears, wolverines, etc but one probably wouldn't argue that we have a viable population of those animals hear. That's the difference and really, prior to the time of the mountain bike incident, sightings were rare. When South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana populations started to grow and expand was when we started seeing more here and a breeding population was established. I know a couple wardens and I can tell you definitively they do not have discretion in cases like this. The department heads at Game and Fish might but the field warden does not. I'm pretty certain this was an incidental catch but once you cross that line and allow them to be kept where does it stop? I've heard of incidences of bighorn sheep and elk being shot thinking they were deer, more than one elk killed when someone doesn't realize they hit the first one and shoot again, mule deer or whitetail being shot thinking they were shooting the other species. All probably honest, yet negligent, mistakes. Should they be allowed to keep those animals. It sucks in these situations but unless it's black and white you'll always have problems.

Who ever comes on the radio from the G&F on KFYR told a caller earlier this fll that wardens have some degree of discretion when deciding to issue citations I would hope if he is speaking with the public he has his facts straight.

I would imagine it is like the hiway patrol suggesting to slow it down when he stops you for doing 70 in a 65.

Comparing this to mistaking a bighorn sheep for a deer is a bit of a stretch. This fella really did nothing wrong as you simply can not trell what will end up in a snare or trap many times where the other fella didn;t have a clue what they were shooting at when the pulled the trigger. Bit of a difference there to me.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member

Years ago i remember the Game and Fish denying we had any in the State.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
GST Did you find out not to lean on the end of the bar the hard way or by hear say. Seen more than one guy do the Irish jig.:;:cheers

Hammer

The guy that snared this kitty is a friend of a coworker of mine. Game and Fish took the cat to do their studies on it but are giving it back to the guy. He was not purposely trying to snare cats. He will be sending the cat to a taxidermist.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88