Burgum's income tax proposal?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious how many have been following the Governor's income tax proposal and some of the other counter proposals?
Burgum's Income Tax proposal vs property tax

And one of the big things in the story I need to know is where/how did Representative Ista reach the conclusion that this gives people earning more than $490k a year a $36k tax break when the current highest income tax bracket for ND is 2.9%? Near as I can calculate, it would take an income of over $1.3 million to get to a $36k ND income tax expense.

Now, I'm in no danger of paying $36k to the state under either scenario, but I am wondering how his math works.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My property tax is up $500 this year, not what you are asking, but just wanted to let everyone know with the surplus we have seen, and the supposed property tax relief, I am in fact paying more. So that is really great.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Burgum is trying to make the state a bastion for the rich. Those in jobs making huge money like surgeons etc. he’s not interested in helping the common man. He needs us average joes to pay more than we need do so he can give tax relief to the big money earners. I’m not opposed to tax relief for anybody. Just don’t forget about the rest of us

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bill would impose a flat tax rate of 1.5% for individuals making more than about $45,000 or married filers making more than about $75,000. As for those who make less than $45,000 per year: no state income tax.

The government preaches we all need to stop disparity amongst all of us.

The meaning of disparity is, a difference in level or treatment, especially one that is seen as unfair.

Sooooooooooo, my take on this is the state of ND is showing disparity towards my wife and myself because we make over $75,000.

Maybe the fuckers running this state and country should practice what the preach.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is a distraction from the real problem which is Property Tax. He is literally trying to appease people with crumbs. I have never in my life heard anyone ever complain about North Dakotas income tax.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i been working on understanding our new budget by reviewing on the internet.

There are a number of places to go to read about the budget but in one address he states.
He is against using state monies to buy down property taxes and he has been successful in doing this. He did state why in this address. and is not in favor of helping out the local financing. db

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the avg person in ND income tax relief doesn’t virtually nothing. Property tax reform is needed by far more than income tax reform
100% agree with this. My property tax also went up $500 this year. Maybe my income tax savings could cover my property tax increase. Bend over.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm getting tired of all of it. Taxes continue to rise, MDU, electric, gas, groceries, everything is on a continuous rise. I am tired of the "well, it's only pennies a day, you could skip going out to eat once a month....blah, blah, blah!" You can stop your frivolous spending and quit asking to raise your rates when you are showing record profit. Sooner or later, something has to give.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm also getting sick of it. Just a few years ago I had about 315% increase in my property taxes. I was underpaying, and knew it was coming. I didn't expect that much of an increase though, and I didn't expect it to keep going up as much as it has every year since. Taxes are starting to make me real grumpy. Especially property...

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hard to argue against a reduction in any tax. One issue I see is that the State Income Tax and Property tax are not related. The State collects and spends Income tax. Property Tax goes to counties schools, towns and cities, townships. Or in other words property tax pays for most of your road maintenance, law enforcement, fire protection, etc. The only part of property tax that the state legislature his is they think it's their job to tell the other elected officials what to do.

If you really want to change property tax it's better to attend local (city, county, school, etc) tax equalization and budget meetings. From my experience of working with schools and city the attendance at these meetings, which are required to be held each year, and help either control spending or find a better way to increase income.

Do you really want to go to the state legislature for approval every time you local government needs to buy a new road grader or hire another police officer. In the years I was in city government not one time did one of our local legislators respond to a question I contacted them about.

It's easiest for the state to be talking about reducing income tax because that is what they collect and spend. They do neither with property tax. It's no different with state sales tax and city sales tax. The state doesn't seem to like city sales tax as that can dip into their ability to raise sales tax for the state, never mind what it does for local needs. One difference is that some of the state sales tax does go back locally but not all. In my mind relying on the legislature to listen to local concerns is a long process to get done what you really need.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I
I'm also getting sick of it. Just a few years ago I had about 315% increase in my property taxes. I was underpaying, and knew it was coming. I didn't expect that much of an increase though, and I didn't expect it to keep going up as much as it has every year since. Taxes are starting to make me real grumpy. Especially property...
there should be no way in hell they should be able to raise taxes more than 10% a year

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s no better down here property taxes on my wife’s day care went up 512% in one year. With the price of everything else and that it made it an easy decision to sell it. They had it valued at almost a half million I wish that’s what its actual value was.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s no better down here property taxes on my wife’s day care went up 512% in one year. With the price of everything else and that it made it an easy decision to sell it. They had it valued at almost a half million I wish that’s what its actual value was.
Unbelievable.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you try and contest it?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88