24 year old walleye out of Sakakawea

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Our G&F needs to get out of the stone ages. When are they going to get serious, get some choppers/airplanes in the air, and do some real walleye population surveys?

~KDM

Planes and choppers? I thought we were talking new age here? Drones are where its at. Chopper would spook a school of migrating walleyes. A drone just looks like a seagull to a walleye.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planes and choppers? I thought we were talking new age here? Drones are where its at. Chopper would spook a school of migrating walleyes. A drone just looks like a seagull to a walleye.

fail

de33c49b7ac33870d663920669a32f4f--good-life-wildlife.jpg

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what WHAT fish migrate never happens. the same people that say this fish is 24 years old Hmmm. Just saying. I believe fish migrate chased them from south of bis all the way to tailrace. walleye do live to 25 years wow this one must of had no teeth and in a Wheelchair.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what happens when you get old, you have a hard time chasing/eating your food. ;:;popcorn

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our G&F needs to get out of the stone ages. When are they going to get serious, get some choppers/airplanes in the air, and do some real walleye population surveys?

~KDM

Now that's just a waste of money. All they need to do is mail the surveys to the walleyes using the postal service. No need to use airmail.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now that's just a waste of money. All they need to do is mail the surveys to the walleyes using the postal service. No need to use airmail.

If they used the postal service, they wouldn't get the survey till way after they are dead! At least if it was mailed from my area, or being delivered to my area!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
what WHAT fish migrate never happens. the same people that say this fish is 24 years old Hmmm. Just saying. I believe fish migrate chased them from south of bis all the way to tailrace. walleye do live to 25 years wow this one must of had no teeth and in a Wheelchair.

Yes, this makes me kinda roll my eyes each fall and spring too. I kinda always thunk that they moved away. Turns out they just quit eating for 8 months?

I know, I'm over-simplifying. It's hard to believe though, that most of them don't migrate. Catch a tagged fish in Bismarck, and a year ago it was in SD. I don't know how else that could happen.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
wildeyes - any chance you were actually chasing water temps/conditions that were “traveling” upstream?

kind of like morels - they don’t migrate but certainly appear to

with the cold water being released on the Missouri below the dam it is unlike the natural systems that generally all warm up simultaneously- so I could see an optimal bite “wave” working its way slowly upstream as increasing daily temps are able to warm the water to optimal temps / conditions - ever so slowly shortening the distance away from the chutes where an optimal bite starts to occur

just a thought

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are some really interesting stories about fish in general. About fifteen years ago someone caught a tagged walleye in the north end of Van Hook that was tagged three days prior in white earth bay. That's a lot of miles in three days.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleye do migrate/travel quite long distances. Walleye that spawn on the reefs of western Lake Erie will summer from Buffalo to Saginaw Bay. Stone Labs and the Ohio DNR tag walleye in the spring and use a similar program as ND. Find a tag turn it in. They have also started tagging with tags that are acoustic. They have put a series of listening posts around key areas of the lakes that log the fish as it swims past the detectors. I will have to look up the site but you can view a live feed from the detectors. It is also used on fish species that are endangered or being reintroduced, like lake sturgeon. Welcome to the brave new walleye world.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the early 2000s I caught a tagged walleye in Garrison Bay. The walleye was 21 inches and about 3lbs. I looked up the tag # and it was a 12 year old male walleye. I thought that was crazy old.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
He checked the age of 600 walleyes by removing their ear bones. Does that mean there are 600 deaf walleyes swimming in Lake Sakakawea?

I think many are deaf, whispering here fishy fishy has not worked well for me at all.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
guy, I think you are on the right track and if we knew for sure we would be rich men. I believe they are moving because of the bait they are chasing which likes cold water also on that line ice fishing is dictated by the hatches that go on through out the year that is why some lakes turn on and off. I know from experience on one lake that it is good until a little black bug starts to hatch and as the bugs start to really take off the fishing dies out. but like i said if I knew for sure would be rich. How is the hunting dog doing?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
guy, I think you are on the right track and if we knew for sure we would be rich men. I believe they are moving because of the bait they are chasing which likes cold water also on that line ice fishing is dictated by the hatches that go on through out the year that is why some lakes turn on and off. I know from experience on one lake that it is good until a little black bug starts to hatch and as the bugs start to really take off the fishing dies out. but like i said if I knew for sure would be rich. How is the hunting dog doing?

slooooow recovery for the magic poodle

vet says no running/playing for 8 weeks so it's kinda hard to say - wish he would just spring back in a few days but that's not happening

he starts bucking around and fooling goofy and wanting to play and we have to tell him to knock it off - it feels like we're trying to break his spirit - which sucks

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 117
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 46