SD state record waldo

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn't the game and fish take possession of the possible record and do tests on the fish before declaring any new records? I read this was the procedure in north dakota and I sure south Dakota must have the same when deal with potential new state records.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Appears to be the case - gotta imagine it lost at least a few ounces.

FARGO — Aaron Schuck had to excuse himself and put down his cell phone Friday while talking to me about his state record walleye. He was fishing on Lake Oahe in South Dakota, a massive reservoir on the Missouri River, and his buddy had a big fish on the line. Schuck was needed on the net.

After a few minutes and some mostly inaudible chatter back and forth, Schuck could be heard saying, "Well, it's no state record but she'll do."

Schuck picked up his phone and I asked him how big the walleye was that he'd just helped haul into the boat.

"Oh, I'd say 28 inches. Maybe 30. It's a big fish," he said.

But in the context of our conversation, it wasn't that big of a fish. Even though a 30-inch walleye will usually eclipse 10 pounds.

That's because Schuck is the new record-holder of the largest walleye caught by hook and line in South Dakota. He boated a 16-pound, 8-ounce monster Saturday, Oct. 28, from Lake Oahe near Akaska, S.D. It was 33 inches long.

The Bismarck, N.D., businessman caught the state record trolling a Walleye Nation Creation Reaper crankbait.

The fish broke the former record of 16 pounds, 2 ounces held by Georgine Chytka, who nabbed her walleye in November 2002 at the Fort Randall Dam tailrace on the Missouri River.

Schuck was fishing with his friend, Jesse Schumaker of Bismarck, when he caught the big walleye on a frigid day.

"It was so cold. Just a cold day out on the water. The back of the boat was iced up. My buddy almost fell in the water because he slipped netting the fish," said Schuck, a 43-year-old co-owner of 701 Caulking & Sealant in Bismarck.

Aaron Schuck netted walleye.jpg

Aaron Schuck's South Dakota state record walleye that weighed 16 pounds, 8 ounces filled up the net on the bottom of the boat.
Contributed photo
It's a good fish story.

Here's the rest of the story: It could've been even better.

Schuck figures the fish might've weighed 17 pounds immediately after it came out of the water, but through a series of circumstances he wasn't able to get it weighed on a certified scale until two days after he caught it.

Fish lose weight after death because of water loss and Schuck figures the delay cost him several ounces, maybe a half pound.

"It's a once-in-a-lifetime fish for sure, but it probably weighed more when I first caught it," Schuck said.

Here's the story:

Schuck and Schumaker, who usually fish the Missouri River around Bismarck and North Dakota's portion of Lake Oahe, drove the two hours south into South Dakota because they'd heard big walleyes were biting in the Akaska area.

"I've caught lots of big walleyes in my life, but I've never caught a really big one that I could get mounted," Schuck said. "I was looking for a 14-pounder, or at least one in that 12- to 14-pound range. So that's what we were looking for."

When Schuck hooked the big fish and reeled it within sight, he knew it was the walleye he wanted.

"When I saw it, I was yelling, 'That's 14! That's 14!," Schuck said. "It ended up being even bigger than that."

Not that Schuck and Schumaker knew the accurate weight right away. The digital scale in Schumaker's boat was hampered by the cold weather and the anglers didn't feel they were getting an accurate reading. It kept reading 15 pounds, 10 ounces but they felt the fish might be even bigger.

When they got back to the boat ramp, on stable ground, they weighed the fish again. It came up the same.

So Schuck and Schumaker drove back to Bismarck to Schuck's house. They went to Schuck's heated garage to clean fish when Schuck figured he'd try his scale, which was warm. It said the walleye weighed 16 pounds, 5 ounces.

Aaron Schuck livewell walleye.jpg

Aaron Schuck's South Dakota state record walleye dwarfed other walleyes in the livewell. The big fish weighed 16 pounds, 8 ounces.
Contributed photo
"I was like, 'Holy crap. I caught the state record walleye in South Dakota and now I'm back in North Dakota,'" Schuck said. "I caught a state record fish and nobody's going to know about it."

By that time it was about 10 p.m. Saturday, too late to drive back to South Dakota and get the fish weighed on a certified scale in that state. So Schuck put the walleye in the refrigerator to keep it cool and moist — not the freezer, which would dry it out — and waited for the morning.

The next day, Sunday, wasn't the best day to roust a representative of the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Department to help him officially weigh the fish, so Schuck began making calls to find out where he could have the walleye weighed on a certified scale in the presence of a SDGFP employee on Monday morning.

There was an official scale at Oahe Sunset Lodge in Pollock, just over the North Dakota border. So Schuck drove there Monday morning and had the fish weighed.

It tipped the scale at 16 pounds, 8 ounces.

"So, basically, 48 hours after I caught the fish it weighed 16-8," Schuck said. "I have to believe it was over 17 pounds in the boat."

His previous big walleye was a 31-inch fish that weighed 11 pounds.

Schuck will get the record fish mounted. He's been back on the water several days since catching the whopper, including Friday when I called.

"It's quite the story," he said.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know of multiple fish over 12 caught this weekend. My one friend told me 8 pounders are getting boring. The amount of boats out now is crazy

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not only the big mammas are biting. I was in town Saturday and the guy who told me about the big fish weighing story had been out and was already limited on 16-19 inchers and said they were fat.

My brother limited on Saturday also and said they also caught 30 BIG silver bass. Said they were the size of the bottom of a 5 gal bucket.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not only the big mammas are biting. I was in town Saturday and the guy who told me about the big fish weighing story had been out and was already limited on 16-19 inchers and said they were fat.

My brother limited on Saturday also and said they also caught 30 BIG silver bass. Said they were the size of the bottom of a 5 gal bucket.
Been a while since the silver bass have even been around in numbers to catch since the die off. Good sign more bait for the fish. Talked to a guy who went north and they struggled getting their unders

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
good bait for the fish but don't let their numbers get too high...they'll in turn eat all the bait and there will be none for other fish. Happened here on a few lakes several years ago. White bass had incredible numbers and the eyes got quite skinny for awhile. Finally people started keeping white bass realizing they're not too bad to eat and all came back to balance.
Question...are they catching fish there shallower now or have fish gone deep looking for warmer water?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
good bait for the fish but don't let their numbers get too high...they'll in turn eat all the bait and there will be none for other fish. Happened here on a few lakes several years ago. White bass had incredible numbers and the eyes got quite skinny for awhile. Finally people started keeping white bass realizing they're not too bad to eat and all came back to balance.
Question...are they catching fish there shallower now or have fish gone deep looking for warmer water?
Cranking over deep water down in akaska i was told and guy who went north did every thing and caught fish. You used to have to put a heavier jig on to get to the walleyes when i first moved here. Then there was a huge die off and since then just caught random white bass. Seemed it was a better fishery with the high numbers of bass

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where we usually catch them in the fall is a deep jig bite. I didn't talk with my brother about how deep he was but I know where they were and they usually fish a pretty deep drop at that spot. 25-35 ft deep.

And the other guy I talked to was jigging deep too.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
huh...my old man used to fish Akaska every fall on pheasant opener. No traffic and he would wack the eyes shallow with jig and minnow.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know up here in Yates we always jig deep off the main channel break too. No matter the elevation they hang in and around those deep channel bends in this area. Same with the Grand and Oahe. Now I've had a few years where we were in say 17-25 fow but I've never went real shallow.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy Sheeet --- look at that tank in the livewell. I have seen alot of habbing -- but when it looks that huge in the livewell. That is mamoth!!!!!!!

Kurt please PM the coordinates :)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy Sheeet --- look at that tank in the livewell. I have seen alot of habbing -- but when it looks that huge in the livewell. That is mamoth!!!!!!!

Kurt please PM the coordinates :)
Go to swan creek when you get out of the bay take a left and look for the boats. Won’t be able to miss it

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will they bite on cheese and/or do they have mind control ability to suppress information?

Last edited:

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
If Facebook can be believed, a 17lb 13.92oz (33" length & 22" girth) walleye was posted by South Whitlock Resort today.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84