remember when...

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"My Pappy said son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop driving that Hot Rod Lincoln"...

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone smoked....everywhere. Even your doctor. Cigarette vending machines were as plentiful as candy ones.
Yup, I remember not that long ago, in the early 90's, lots of people smoking at BSC. If the teacher smoked, they could allow smoking in class, during class. Ashtrays in the backpacks. Light 'em up! Also, smoking in the entrances later, when smoking was being phased out.

Also, smoking sections in restaurants, and in jet airplanes. Funny when you think about it. Nowdays, if someone flicked their bic on an airplane, you'd expect it to fall right out of the sky (wouldn't all the oxygen just make it explode!?!?) Nah, it was fine...

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Commander Cody and his Lost Planet.
2400:
Had a 327 SS chevy and I could not beat my buddy in his 59 Rambler. How Sad was that. db

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
brokenbackjack
So many memories brought back that I had forgotten about.
My friend drove his fathers 59 Ford 3 speed on the tree with that level under the dash that he would pull for the overdrive.
At the time I was going to find out how that work and never did. Was it in the transmission or like a two speed in the rear end of the farm trucks?
So a memory that I never completed, now we have the internet so I guess I will find out unless jack you can tell me. db
It was in the transmission.
Took ours out after Dad passed away. It did 70 in first and OD, 105 in second and OD, and buried the needle quick in third and OD. Wasn't a quarter mile machine but not many could touch her on top end.
Life was good!
How about those old hunting cars we would buy for 25-50 bucks? Fun times.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya I remember those. I think it was transmission. I run all over with an old Ford tractor that had the overdrive lever on the left side right on the side of the transmission. I could just barely reach it from the drivers seat. In overdrive my dad followed me and it did 22 mph.
They used to call them step up transmissions if I remember correctly.
Different from a vehicle OD. But on same principle.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trying to remember what cartoon had the head on train wreck and the old car jumping over the house in the opening scene ? George of the Jungle ?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grandpa kicked grandmas ass because she didn't have meat and potatoes at noon.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
First 4 wheel drive I saw and rode in was a 66 Dodge 3/4 ton I was impressed but what I remember most about it is how the all steel cab would ring almost like a bell when you slammed the door shut.

- - - Updated - - -

Grandpa kicked grandmas ass because she didn't have meat and potatoes at noon.

During harvest grandma had it out to the field by noon. Pots and kettles with food and coffee in canning jars.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Member when people smoked in the bar. In college during the winter I had a "bar jacket". It got washed every couple of weeks from the funk. Back then you'd walk into the Turf and you couldn't see past the bar. Also at that time Labbys/Reebs used smoking and then free market to their advantage and we're smoke free. We'd go there every now and then just to get a break from the smoke. Novel idea, right?

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Squirt and Orange Crush with the pulp in the bottle, Clutch Cargo with his friends Spinner and Paddlefoot, Mighty Mouse , Tom Terrific

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When Dad had the kids turned the TV over before there was a remote . Even if kids didn't like the program we stuck it out sometimes for the commercials.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember when the Christmas season started in mid December , then the different service clubs had a pile of kids, gave us a bag of peanuts, with some of that hard candy thrown in with an apple or an orange, then showed old ( even then cartoons), like deputy dog,heckle and heckle, huckleberry hound and such, maybe even the 3 stooge. Mom would start making Christmas cookies, Pheffernouse, checks mix, and all the old German sweets. So much simpler then, the whole family , I mean aunts uncles, cousins would go back to the old farm and go sled riding and tobogganing, and have the horse pull everything up the hill, then go skating on the creek. Good times, too bad we can't go back to those times eh, how long would these kids make it today, before being bored, or cold, to have that much fun

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
29 cent/gallon gasoline was the lowest I ever paid

that wasn't that "long" ago -- thinking 76 ?

><>><

beer, drugs and rock and roll

oh wait, that was last week : )

- - - Updated - - -

Remember when the Christmas season started in mid December , then the different service clubs had a pile of kids, gave us a bag of peanuts, with some of that hard candy thrown in with an apple or an orange, then showed old ( even then cartoons), like deputy dog,heckle and heckle, huckleberry hound and such, maybe even the 3 stooge. Mom would start making Christmas cookies, Pheffernouse, checks mix, and all the old German sweets. So much simpler then, the whole family , I mean aunts uncles, cousins would go back to the old farm and go sled riding and tobogganing, and have the horse pull everything up the hill, then go skating on the creek. Good times, too bad we can't go back to those times eh, how long would these kids make it today, before being bored, or cold, to have that much fun

I remember the brown paper bag of Christmas goodies and the movies like it was yesterday. Always had an orange AND and apple in ours.
Ahhhhh the good old days.
Thinking the movie was 25 cents to get in. ??

A couple of times a year, Ma would send all of us kids to the Saturday matinee. What a treat. A lot of Disney movies on Saturdays for the kids.

After a long day of working in the garden in the summer, we would go to the local root beer stand and get a gallon of root beer.
Then on to home for ice cream floats. Yippee!

<>><
2400 your post about push starting your car after parking got me remembering. thanks!

I remember the first time I went parking with a girl. The next day I couldn't find my wallet anywhere. Searched high and low. Went back to the country road where we parked and there it was, laying in the gravel. : )

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
they sold cigarettes in vending machines in the lobbies of most hotels

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
29 cent/gallon gasoline was the lowest I ever paid

that wasn't that "long" ago -- thinking 76 ?

><>><

beer, drugs and rock and roll

oh wait, that was last week : )

- - - Updated - - -

I remember the brown paper bag of Christmas goodies and the movies like it was yesterday. Always had an orange AND and apple in ours.
Ahhhhh the good old days.
Thinking the movie was 25 cents to get in. ??

A couple of times a year, Ma would send all of us kids to the Saturday matinee. What a treat. A lot of Disney movies on Saturdays for the kids.

After a long day of working in the garden in the summer, we would go to the local root beer stand and get a gallon of root beer.
Then on to home for ice cream floats. Yippee!

<>><
2400 your post about push starting your car after parking got me remembering. thanks!

I remember the first time I went parking with a girl. The next day I couldn't find my wallet anywhere. Searched high and low. Went back to the country road where we parked and there it was, laying in the gravel. : )

Was your buckskin rubber still in the wallet?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28