Bringing back wild bison

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would it take?

I mean, a guy could just buy some bison and let them go, roaming the countryside as feral beasts to reinhabit the landscape. It would obviously piss of landowners and farmers, and justifiably so. If there aren’t laws against it you can guaran-dam-tee our septuagenarian legislature would make laws against it and landowners/law enforcers would be given the authority to euthanize the “abandoned” animals.

I suppose a guy could slowly acquire A LOT of land and start populating his own property with bison, but the legal system would view those animals as private livestock.

I want a world where bison roam freely like other game animals and can be hunted by the general public. How does one make it happen on a broad scale? You need to start convincing landowners to take down fences, that’s for sure.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What if a guy just started releasing bison across several states, like a tatanka vigilante. Figure you unleash two OTR trailers at each location. I know there are buffalo ranchers around here who I’m sure would love to act as accomplices.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would it take?

I mean, a guy could just buy some bison and let them go, roaming the countryside as feral beasts to reinhabit the landscape. It would obviously piss of landowners and farmers, and justifiably so. If there aren’t laws against it you can guaran-dam-tee our septuagenarian legislature would make laws against it and landowners/law enforcers would be given the authority to euthanize the “abandoned” animals.

I suppose a guy could slowly acquire A LOT of land and start populating his own property with bison, but the legal system would view those animals as private livestock.

I want a world where bison roam freely like other game animals and can be hunted by the general public. How does one make it happen on a broad scale? You need to start convincing landowners to take down fences, that’s for sure.
A LOT of open range. Like in Yellowstone National or Custer State PARKS. OH wait!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A LOT of open range. Like in Yellowstone National or Custer State PARKS. OH wait!
I had no idea you could hunt bison in Yellowstone and Custer. Learn something new every day!

NodakBob

Honored Member
Had a bro-in-law that had half a dozen bison calves...had...they all climbed out of his corral west of Manning. He called me up and we went buffalo hunting driving all over hell looking for them...never found them. I told him he should be looking in his neighbors' freezers...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a bro-in-law that had half a dozen bison calves...had...they all climbed out of his corral west of Manning. He called me up and we went buffalo hunting driving all over hell looking for them...never found them. I told him he should be looking in his neighbors' freezers...
Tasty they were I bet. LB

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apparently Europe has bison as well, but they’re different and there are far fewer of them. There wouldn’t be ANY bison - or “wisent” as they’re called - remaining in Europe if not for the dedication of renowned German conservationist… Herman Georing? One more reason for Kanye to love the Nazis I guess 🤣

8A9791DB-243E-49D6-84FF-226959627DC2.jpeg

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If we bring them back to huntable populations we can all find out.
Go out to the badlands and shoot one. when they are out of the park they are fair game. The G&F don’t regulate them because they aren’t considered a game animal. If they have no brand, ear tags, or other type of identification then they are yours. My brother shot one a few years ago. Personally I wouldn’t waste my time. They taste like shit.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go out to the badlands and shoot one. when they are out of the park they are fair game. The G&F don’t regulate them because they aren’t considered a game animal. If they have no brand, ear tags, or other type of identification then they are yours. My brother shot one a few years ago. Personally I wouldn’t waste my time. They taste like shit.
Have eaten lots of Buffalo in my day. All were very good eating.
I think you ate the wrong parts of the critter. :unsure: :eek: ;) ...rofl...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Friends of mine had a small herd and feed the calf's sunflower hulls out of a calf-feeder and butchered the next spring before the cows calved again and they were excellent eating. LB

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Skeeter:

Did not know that one could shoot one in the badlands.
Hope to soon get my Model 1 Ruger in 300 Weatherby and try that 1000 yard shot this summer. Wanted a 45-70 but a 10-foot drop at 500 yards, I think that will not work. Are you sure on this? Do not want a visit from a warden. db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77