New boat companies

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't remember a time where so many new boat companies were popping up. In the walleye boats that is. Typically when I see a new company join the ranks, I assume they are not worth the investment. They haven't proven themselves yet. These new boats look incredible though. Caymas, Vexus, Rage, and others. What's everyone's opinions on these new boats and do they rival the old standard: Ranger, Yarcraft, Warrior, Nitro, etc...

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caymas was started buy Earl Bentz who also founded Stratos and Triton, he seems to have a history of starting and building up a boat company and then selling it off and has become very wealthy doing it...rinse and repeat.

Vexus was started by the founder of Ranger's grandson after Ranger was sold to Bass pro.

Rage I believe is from a Canadian boat maker Campion that mostly makes runabouts and ski boats but decided to make a fishing boat and you can tell by looking at them.

Long term resale would concern me a bit on all of them, but I'm not a guy that jumps on the latest and greatest bandwagon. I think many of these new companies are just trying to get in and eventually sell again to a major company like Brunswick and Bass Pro. Are they concerned about you or just their bottom line looking for a buy out...you decide.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
a lot of boats sittin on lots is what i see -- inventory is not moving very fast

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 years ago there was virtually no boat inventory. Now the dealerships are loaded and can't get rid of them. Seen a big Vexus rippin across the lake the other day, haven't ran into any rage boats or Caymas yet but spose its a matter of time.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 years ago there was virtually no boat inventory. Now the dealerships are loaded and can't get rid of them. Seen a big Vexus rippin across the lake the other day, haven't ran into any rage boats or Caymas yet but spose its a matter of time.

Vexus seem pretty common at this point. I have yet to see a Caymas on the water and the only Rage I've seen is Peluso.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just put new stickers on my Mercury Optimax 225, as the sun had done the old ones in.
Took about 1.5 hours with the pressure washer, and then some elbow grease with the goo gone from mrs johnr, boat looks new again. Can probably run her for another 13 years. Cost $65.00

Spending what these new boats cost is for the rich, or retired. When an average guy puts maybe 20 (2days x 10 weekends) days on a good season in the boat, its impossible to justify that expense.

In retirement, when I am at the lake for the 100 days of summer, yup maybe then.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished out of a Vexus. Cant say it will last ten years it was like fine sports car. Run the heck out of it for few years seems scary how it holds up. Look at all hour meters for ones for sale very few hours at full tilt. All I see is most of them get run year or two and are for sale. Maybe thats how they play the game to pay for them. The prices are just crazy for sure. Does seems like boat lots are full this year. Those that can buy them enjoy.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't remember a time where so many new boat companies were popping up. In the walleye boats that is. Typically when I see a new company join the ranks, I assume they are not worth the investment. They haven't proven themselves yet. These new boats look incredible though. Caymas, Vexus, Rage, and others. What's everyone's opinions on these new boats and do they rival the old standard: Ranger, Yarcraft, Warrior, Nitro, etc...
Many of the people who start up those new brands came from established boat builders. They know how to build boats.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s because they loaded up their lots with boats that cost 70-110k. A person really needs to use a boat a lot to justify one of those. What you don’t see on the lot are 17-18’ boats because they are either not ordering them or that’s the only ones that are selling well. 17-18’ boats work for most people but even those prices have skyrocketed. Only thing keeping boats affordable is 10-20 year loans

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t need to justify to anyone (except the wife) when it comes to how I spend my money. Just know that I’m enjoying the hell out of it.

DF2AB5FA-3116-4EA0-AAF6-4049C484B0E8.jpeg

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Look at all hour meters for ones for sale very few hours at full tilt. All I see is most of them get run year or two and are for sale. Maybe thats how they play the game to pay for them. The prices are just crazy for sure. Does seems like boat lots are full this year. Those that can buy them enjoy.

The reason you see this is that most of the people that are willing to plunk down the money or make the payments on a top tier loaded multi-species boat, are also the first ones to upgrade every few years. Most of the players in that arena are not buying their "forever" boat, hence why you see late model boats with modest hours on them.

The reality is (tillers boats excluded), most weekend anglers don't crack 50 hours per year on the main motor, very avid anglers between 50-100 hrs, and rare to find those few guys that are doing 100+ hrs in the northern states. The other part that comes into play is water access. Take ND's biggest resource, Lake Sakakawea, and there are few stretches of shoreline that don't have an access at least every 10-15 miles, more less multiple boat ramps in that stretch. Most people don't need or like to make long runs to fish on the average day. On one of my biggest usage years, my boat literally touched the water 40+ days and I made many 20-30 mile one way trips and I still only hit about 80 hours on the main engine. So seeing 2-4 year old boats with a couple hundred hours on them isn't out of ordinary expectation.

TBH, the boats, engines, and electronics we are all using today are unbelievably superior to what we had even 20-years ago. Marine quality these days on these top tier boats is so much better, from wiring, composite stringers, floors, and transoms that won't ever rot; to modern 4 stroke efi engines that are expected to run 4000+ hours and tough coated steel or full aluminum trailers that aren't rust buckets after 5 years. A properly cared for and maintained boat from today could easily last most people a lifetime even though most won't ever keep them even 5-years. Frankly, anything that's been decently cared for and manufactured in the last decade will make many a great boat. Electronics can always be upgraded and that's probably one of the biggest areas of change.

I hope to update from my 2018 in the next year or two and it has nothing to do, or even the modest thought that it's unreliable or falling apart. Frankly, like many, I just have the yearning for something new and I'm a sucker for sparkly boats, lol.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t need to justify to anyone (except the wife) when it comes to how I spend my money. Just know that I’m enjoying the hell out of it.

DF2AB5FA-3116-4EA0-AAF6-4049C484B0E8.jpeg
Of course you don't, nor was I making that point. If you were replying to my post.
I was stating that putting that kind of bank into a boat is either a guy is rich, or he uses his way the heck more than I do.

I have to justify everything to mrs johnr, and she is also my banker...:cry:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
JohnR, your in good hands!

I bought my first boat in 1998 for $3300. Sold it in 2001 for $5500 put in new seats. Bought a carryover a 2000 1850 Lund Tyee for 21,000.
Traded it in 2007 for an 1860 Ranger Angler.
Traded that in 2014 for an 1850 Ranger Reata all cash trades or I would not have done it.
Each to their own I guess.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Of course you don't, nor was I making that point. If you were replying to my post.
I was stating that putting that kind of bank into a boat is either a guy is rich, or he uses his way the heck more than I do.

I have to justify everything to mrs johnr, and she is also my banker...:cry:
Or they get a pretty good deal from either a dealer or the manufacturer directly. AKA sponsorship.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dirty Mike, is that a Vexus, Caymus, or ???

I remember you stopping by with your “new” 617 tiller.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Malibu? Meh that’s for peasants. 😉 ….try a Pavati
https://pavati.com/ 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑. A used one is $450k

Too bad Pavati’s aren’t that well regarded in the wake boat arena outside of being stupid expensive. Natique, Mastercraft, & Centurian are the gold standard. they aren’t Pavati expensive but there top tier stuff will still set you back $300k

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33