Gloves: the search continues

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
merino glove liners might just be the ticket for me too

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.kuiu.com/hunting-gloves/ultra-merino-210-glove/81006.html?dwvar_81006_color=ViasCamo

these sort of intrigue me

20151002_164347.jpg

They are to be used as a liner only as the merino is not durable one bit. I used them very little before they were turned into data tip gloves.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good to know, however I was only (mostly) intending on them being a liner glove. I appreciate the heads up tho

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rock climbers and such tape hand warmers (or sew pockets into wrist warmers or fingerless gloves) so that the warmers heat up those big veins on the back of your hand. The claim is (and it sounds logical) that the blood warms while flowing past that region - thus delivering warm blood to the fingers/palm.

I'm sure some of you have relatives, moms, grannies who knit or crochet - get cracking and report back to us. :D

Back in the day I used to find socks that didn't have a formed heel, just a straight tube. Then I would cut 4 finger holes in the end and a thumbhole on the side. I would put them on and then a long sleeved shirt over them. Seemed to keep the blood warmer by keeping my wrist covered. I wore either finger gloves over top or chopper mitts.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have good circulation (knock on wood) - but when it starts to hurt I like Hotfingers brand. Have had three pairs of crap-is-it-cold gloves over the last 35 years. That's right - when crap gets too cold I have relied on exactly three pairs of gloves to keep me warm and they were all various models of Hotfingers.

They all cost a stupid lot BACK THEN. Now I browse and all the nice gloves cost a lot... but most suck.

Fit is key - it has to be perfect or they'll suck even if Hotfingers.

When I am wearing my lighter "high dexterity" gloves for action tasks I bring like 2 or 3 pair and swap out to dry ones if they get too wet (since they are cheap you can buy a bunch and they get holes in them, etc.)

I usually have like 4 pair of gloves with ice fishing (in a backpack or duffle with other odds/ends) - I really like to swap out to gloves that make sense for the moment.

I would really really really like to try on some of the Arcteryx gloves - man they make nice stuff.

Arcteryx makes top-notch outerwear. Raingear, light jackets, shells, etc. TOP-NOTCH stuff, but you pay for it.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, as it's been stated, my hands and feet have the endothermic properties of an ice cube. I usually wear some gks gloves that I've had for five years. They work pretty well but don't fit the bill when it gets below zero. My wife destroyed them and I still don't understand her thought process. stainless steel table, steel wool, 80 degrees out, she thought I didn't use these gloves anymore, pile of leather. :mad:. So, I thought maybe I'll switching things up a bit this year. Maybe a thin, merino wool liner glove and some mittens.

and go...

What are these "gloves" going to be used for? General everyday use ? only on outdoor outings? What outdoor outings, hunting, fishing, figure skating? Is the general purpose of the glove for warmth or dexterity?

…need a little more to go on

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice fishing mainly. Maybe a little snow shoveling. Hunting is a little easier when it's cold out since you don't constantly have to jig.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like anything else it is extremely difficult to find one "perfect glove" especially given your endothermic limitations. I generally have three go to winter gloves: 1. Good gortex Pinnacle cold weather glove, for extreme cold and mostly snow blowing, although hI do bring them ice fishing from moving from point A to point B. 2. A berber gortex glove mid weight, more of an everyday use in winter, leather palm so fairly durable. 3. A good light weight windstopper glove, this is the one I use the most while ice fishing. Of course it matters greatly if your inside or outside…outside fishing I would go with a mitten/glomitt system with hand warmers...

however in search of the ever perfect glove, with ice fishing in mind these seem to intrigue me:
simms-eflxm10705-2.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

I forgot about those. I carry a set in my pack in case I have the need to sit for an extended period of time. I've used them during elk hunting sits of 90-120min over morning ambush sites with good success.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot about those. I carry a set in my pack in case I have the need to sit for an extended period of time. I've used them during elk hunting sits of 90-120min over morning ambush sites with good success.

I've been staring at these as well. How is the sizing? I usually get an XL, but sometimes they run big and I wish I would have bought a Large.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been staring at these as well. How is the sizing? I usually get an XL, but sometimes they run big and I wish I would have bought a Large.

Free shipping on $49 or more at Cabelas right now : Enter promotion code 115GEAR during checkout...I may have to move them from my wish list to cart soon

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Price usually follows quality. I have no doubt it's awesome gear. I'll peak around for the gloves. thanks for the heads up fellas. As of right now, I'm thinking some mittens and a thin liner are the go to for warmth and dexterity. Any of you guys use rubber gloves under a set of gloves. My father in law swears by it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
worst thing about big $$ gloves is that of all outdoor equipment it seems that gloves are the most likely to get lost, melted, cut on auger blades, fuel soaked, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Any of you guys use rubber gloves under a set of gloves. My father in law swears by it.

disgusted-face.jpg

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually those SIMMS are only running about $60 right now…which if you look a good gortex winter glove or any of the SPyder or Manzella winter gloves at Scheels they are all over $75, I’m with you SIMMS is usually about $3-$4 out of my price range but these seem competitively priced…

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
worst thing about big $$ gloves is that of all outdoor equipment it seems that gloves are the most likely to get lost, melted, cut on auger blades, fuel soaked, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

disgusted-face.jpg

was my look of horror also. ruber equals sweat and not breathing which equals cold cold hands when you slow down

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife used to give crap and called me a SIMMS whore because I went on a little spree searching Ebay and the like for SIMMS items and had a steady stream of packages for a while. I finally bought her the women's Rogue hoody. She absolutely loves the thing and now understands.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
was my look of horror also. ruber equals sweat and not breathing which equals cold cold hands when you slow down

exactly. I've spent enough time in rubber gloves during cadaver lab that I won't even wear them while gutting deer.

- - - Updated - - -

And I'm going to buy the simms gloves. Haven't found a bad review yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49