Gloves: the search continues

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've worn them inside other gloves on hazardous waste work and I do admit that there were some projects, temperatures, wetness combinations (can't recall exactly) where they were oddly comforting compared to no rubber (nitrile) gloves inside... I think when work gloves get wet/tarry/oily it's nice to have your hands inside a nitrile barrier.

But when you have to do anything that requires no gloves it's a drag pulling nitriles off and then you have to put a new one on... no way a wet nitrile glove is going to go back on intact.

Of course they are dirt cheap in bulk so you blaze through 20 a day easy.

We buy them in color black. Cuz nothing says hazardous waste site badass like black nitrile gloves while everybody else is wearing gay colors like teal or flesh :;:rockit

- - - Updated - - -

And I'm going to buy the simms gloves. Haven't found a bad review yet.

please report back

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Price usually follows quality. I have no doubt it's awesome gear. I'll peak around for the gloves. thanks for the heads up fellas. As of right now, I'm thinking some mittens and a thin liner are the go to for warmth and dexterity. Any of you guys use rubber gloves under a set of gloves. My father in law swears by it.

I have tried two different styles of the rubber gloves. Full neoprene and rubber fingers and palm and I threw them both away. The rubber gets cold and your hands freeze. Your hands sweat then freeze. They crack and your hands get wet and freeze. I was fishing in sub zero temps last year with an insulated half rubber style and my fingers froze while running around drilling holes. I will never use those styles again for winter use. The only time they worked was early season when it was 20 degrees and the sun was shining.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
th

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I throw mine under ice armor mits and I have never ever felt a bit of cold. Cumbersome they are but worth the hassle in my eyes.

Have the same mits, have nothing but good things to say about them. Have some cabelas shooting gloves I wear with them.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been staring at these as well. How is the sizing? I usually get an XL, but sometimes they run big and I wish I would have bought a Large.

I typically wear a XXL glove. XL is the largest they make in this glove and I found them on sale somewhere in the past. They work well for me as-is but there'd be NO room underneath for a liner glove for me.

Sierra Trading Post sometimes has REALLY good pricing on Simms stuff.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does any store locally in Bis Man carry the Simms gloves to try on for fit and feel? I could never buy any clothing item online not knowing how it fits.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does any store locally in Bis Man carry the Simms gloves to try on for fit and feel? I could never buy any clothing item online not knowing how it fits.

Scheels should have them in the fishing dept.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
The warmest setup I have found by far is a pair of beaver mittens with a light set of gloves underneath so if you have to shoot at yote or reel in a fish your hands stay warm in the mean time. I made the mittens. I had a tanned beaver pelt that I used. than I took a pair of buck skin mittens that I got for dropping off deer hides and cut it apart at the seams for a pattern. I traced it out on the hide and cut it out. Than I used the same pattern on some felt and used that for a liner. Things are insanely warm

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're active @ those temps, Gortex or windstopper and Primaloft. Plan on replacing every couple years as the Primoloft loses it's loft. If you're inactive, mittens/glommets AND chem handwarmers.

Good advice.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite gloves and mittens are the Cabelas Pinnacle Gortex ones. They're about $70, but I've found them to work great at keeping my hands warm.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't picked any up yet. Found the simm's ones at scheels in bismarck but forgot my gift cards and instead of going home, I spent $60 on ice fishing lures and dog stuff. There's times where I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
so whats the outcome of this thread....lol......I'm looking to for some extreme cold gloves...getting sick and tired of my fingers getting cold after 10 minutes outside.....I was thinking of trying what was said some where in this thread...to wear a liner glove inside of another glove of good quality...but what brand?.........

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up another pair of gsk (I think) gloves. Black glove with the hide Palm. They're 30$ and I was unaware of a hole in my mucks. So I'm getting a set of boots instead. I have a set of mittens of the same brand. Real cold weather gets the mitten.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5