Best pistol?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an XDM in a 40 I only have about 1500 rounds threw it so can't say alot about how reliable it is but in happy with it and it shoots good. I like the grip safety don't get in the way if a guy handles the gun the same way each time he shoots it will never be an issue.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is this pistol going to be used for home defense, concealed carry, hunting, range, or BBQ gun? Answer this question then we can start to narrow it down.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never owned a Taurus, so I can't say much about them. I have around 3 to 4000+ rounds. It'll eat anything. My choice bullet is a 200 gr. Wad cutter. And yes Glocks break I have seen it. But being a range officer I see a lot of issues most don't.

Everyone I know who owns a Taurus raves about how wonderfully they're treated by customer service every time they have to get a replacement part or send their gun in for repair. I've never heard a peep about Glock's customer service. (A lightbulb just came on. Now I know why I can't buy Vortex.) How many rounds have you put through your Rock Island? Just curious. I'd love to find out that they're a quality gun.[/QUOTE]

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is this pistol going to be used for home defense, concealed carry, hunting, range, or BBQ gun? Answer this question then we can start to narrow it down to the right Glock for you.

Fixed.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know shit about pistols but I have heard a 9mm is to small to stop a human being.:;:stirthepot

Plenty big enough but from my understanding is the velocity is too fast and bullets tend to pass through the body rather than embed and stop them.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll go out on a limb and say you can't do much better than a wheel gun with .357mag rounds in it. Great all around gun, and can shoot your .38 special rounds for target practice at lower prices. If you are concerned about a 9mm. 40 or even a .45 stopping a human, shoot the .357 for the heavy work. It can be tough to conceal in the summer though when you are wearing light clothes, but that's why they make a 2-1/2" barrel.

But I agree with an earlier post. What is the purpose of the gun?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an xdm and havent had any problems with the grip safety. Not sure if I would ever want to fire the gun when I wasnt actually holding it. Is this something that breaks, or what is the issue?

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 3 Rugers LC9, SR9,1911. Like all three a bunch. The 1911 packs the biggest punch by far. All three would stop a bad guy IMO. Back to what you want it for.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a (Internet) genius and here's what I've learned in my extensive (Internet) research:

There is a fallacy in handgun caliber considerations that suggests different loads have better or worse "knockdown" power. Rifles are for knockdown, not pistols. Most Pistols (.460 & .500 notwithstanding) lack the kinetic energy to create hydrostatic shock that's sufficient to damage elastic tissue. However PENETRATION, not just of flesh and bone, should be a consideration.

Scenario: You're in your vehicle with the doors locked and a maniac is trying to force his way in. Are you going to roll down the window to shoot or carry a caliber and bullet that will retain mass and energy after passing through tempered auto glass? What if you shoot through the door instead of the window? What if he's wearing a heavy down coat?

Scenario 2: maniac is charging down the hallway at you, you unload on him. Some rounds hit their target, others miss. Are those misses going to penetrate a few layers of Sheetrock and harm the family next door?

Any handgun that you will actually carry is a good choice.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an xdm and havent had any problems with the grip safety. Not sure if I would ever want to fire the gun when I wasnt actually holding it. Is this something that breaks, or what is the issue?

I have an XD subcompact 9. has the grip safety as well, as well to most 1911s. I have also never had an issue with grip safety guns. I see them as a passive system you dont have to even think about as long as you are properly holding your gun

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
There simply isn't as much difference in "stopping power" between handgun calibers as intuition suggests. Most people "stop" when they get hit with the first shot. Most people don't want to get shot more times than once.

Even though the lowly .22 is smirked at, as Slim said, a .22 carried is infinitely better than a .44 that's not.

Very interesting (data driven) discussion here.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Never seen a glock make a very nice BBQ gun. Since they are ugly as all get out. I do have a few glocks g17, g17L, g21, g35, and a g40. None of them are my BBQ gun. Is glock a good product yes. Do any of my glocks have their factory trigger? NO the striker fire trigger is horrible way to much travel. But there is no manual safety that is one less thing to worry about when things go bump in the night. Which makes some people nervous about carrying with a round in the chamber. When you are done with that glass of kool-aid. We can talk about other options in the pistol world.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That little .22 "dart" that keeps piercing, weasels and glances around rather than losing steam right away, is pretty darn effective.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never seen a glock make a very nice BBQ gun. Since they are ugly as all get out. I do have a few glocks g17, g17L, g21, g35, and a g40. None of them are my BBQ gun. Is glock a good product yes. Do any of my glocks have their factory trigger? NO the striker fire trigger is horrible way to much travel. But there is no manual safety that is one less thing to worry about when things go bump in the night. Which makes some people nervous about carrying with a round in the chamber. When you are done with that glass of kool-aid. We can talk about other options in the pistol world.

Why do you hate kool-aid?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kool-aid.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am thinking of picking up a .17 revolver. They seem like a fun gun, and I like to have fun.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what if you are in a crowded mall and need to take a 75 yard head shot what is best. Old fbo guys will understand this question the best.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what if you are in a crowded mall and need to take a 75 yard head shot what is best. Old fbo guys will understand this question the best.

Careful, Vollmer will wrap your knuckles for talk of shooting people. Advertisers don't like it. Ask me how I know.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't hit a moving target in a crowded mall from 75 yards, you have no business carrying a gun.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 117
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47