Tracks needed for Lake Winnipeg?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I took a bunch of peso's to Mexico last trip down, they prefer to handle American money down there. I am sure I have never bothered with Canadian cash on any of my trips. Booze is expensive up there, you are allowed one case of beer, or a jug of whiskey. It is best to pack your own booze if you are a drinking man. Also you cant have any alcohol on the lake, so its booze for the end of the day off the water only.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also you cant have any alcohol on the lake, so its booze for the end of the day of the water only.

ha ha ha - I am so toasted from all day on the ice that I can hardly see straight when night comes - Winni is not a great boozing destination for this guy

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jackalls and pelican spoons tipped with a minnow worked yesterday. Also caught a few on blade baits and warpigs

Thanks for the tip. Super pumped to get out and try catch something bigger than the 17s im use to! Nuthin wrong with that either but just knowing a guy has a chance at a wall mounter makes it a little more exciting

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today was decent with one going 11.1 at 30.25". Lots of little fish. I have drilled more holes in the last 48 hours than I have in a month in ND. Lots of slush I wouldn't recommend sleds due to overheating. Boston Pizza is great and in walking distance from the canalta. Need more big fish, have heard many are struggling to find fish let alone big fish.

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the looks of things you might want to take the kayak with you when you go up John! Lots of water on the ice the last two days.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to punt this year. Gonna do a fly-in to see our disheveled neighbors to the north this summer.

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got back last night, lake is very slushy and snow won't last long if temps stay were they are. We had chains on a ranger and quad and didn't get stuck at all but they got a work out. Fishing for us was great, 3 of us had 10 over 28 in 2 1/2 days fishing. Yesterday all but one spot we caught a ma. Five miles out from Warner North of the ridge 14-18 fow. Tipped green live target or green baitball was killer all weekend. Will be a hard to top will try next year. If going with check ridges when.crossing and take planks just in case.

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got back last night, lake is very slushy and snow won't last long if temps stay were they are. We had chains on a ranger and quad and didn't get stuck at all but they got a work out. Fishing for us was great, 3 of us had 10 over 28 in 2 1/2 days fishing. Yesterday all but one spot we caught a ma. Five miles out from Warner North of the ridge 14-18 fow. Tipped green live target or green baitball was killer all weekend. Will be a hard to top will try next year. If going with check ridges when.crossing and take planks just in case.

Good report and advice, any teeners?

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing over 30, had a couple get caught on bottom of hole that might.have.they were big. Biggest was 29 1/2, had 18 over 26 total. All big fish were bottom related but needed smaller jig of rod when appeared. We didn't try shallow at all. Salties on both hooks helped when less active. Be careful at ridges check morning and night when crossing. heard a sled went through when going back to truck where he crossed in the morning. He was fine and got sled out.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Green live targets and green baitballs were our hot hooks also. Managed a few on buck shots and flutter spoons.. Your equipment will get a workout and tie stuff down tight. As mentioned watch the cracks, stopped to help a sxs get out of a crack. I ran the quad with chains all week and am sure I could have got by without them but better safe then sorry. Good trip but wish we had more big fish. And bring some sunscreen, we all got a little sun burnt.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I am heading up on Sunday, will the ice be okay at that point?

I plan on heading to fargo Saturday, meeting up with the guys and heading up early Sunday to fish sunday afternoon thru wed. Sure would hate to struggle getting on the ice.

If anyone is up between now and next weekend please post ice conditions for the rest of us Johnny come lately's, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
johnr

Last edited:

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say you'll still be ok. After today, temps look to be decreasing throughout the week, by the weekend there are lows in the 20's and highs only in mid 30's. With that, the water on top should start to freeze back up and make travel pretty good, as long as the ridges/cracks don't screw it up.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had zero issues with the ice conditions this weekend using a wheeled quad. A little wet if the sun was out and the wind was blowing. It's a lot colder up there in general too, this weekend when it was 65 in Grand Forks is was 45 up there. If the forecast is correct and it cools down later in the week, even the top of the ice is going to be totally solid again.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I needed an extension in some of the spots we fished.

We had to ditch one hole by a ridge because the ice was so thick. Even had a 8"extension on. Other than that no problems. Ice thickness varied from spot to spot. I like having an extension on anyways so my fat ass doesn't have to bend down so far.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still hoping to get up there on the 24th......hopefully those of you who've been up there left a few magnets for the rest of us!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 32
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11