Tracks needed for Lake Winnipeg?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do, where we fish there is no limit on them its a shame when your pumping out 17-20 lb fish year after year.

bull2.jpg

How do they get so big without a limit or a slot?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got some family out in Oregon and they have said that walleyes have been treated that way by a lot of people for quite a few years now. Something about them being really tough on their precious trout/steelhead. Almost thought of like squawfish out there in certain places.

Wow, crazy for us Midwesterners to contemplate but I guess if they do indeed hurt the salmon/trout fisheries it makes sense. I'd imagine that's big, big, business out there

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
5575, where does the majority of the walleye fishing take place on the Columbia?

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, crazy for us Midwesterners to contemplate but I guess if they do indeed hurt the salmon/trout fisheries it makes sense. I'd imagine that's big, big, business out there
Trout make the best food possible for big trophy predators like walleye and pike. The record Pike you see from Europe as well as Zander usually come from waters where they prey on trout.. The one of the IGFA fly fishing records for walleye comes from McGregor Dam in Nodak when it was a trout fishery.

Gr8tz

Established Member
I’m headed up to Winnipeg December 26 through the 30th I have tracks for my Ranger but contemplating on putting them on what do you guys think

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have Facebook there are tons of groups that talk about Winnipeg. And they r very active and up to date info.

To answer your question, no tracks needed now.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snow-wise right now you don't need them. They are nice for going over pressure ridges and to help distribute the weight. Of course, you could be hit by a storm while you're up there....just never know. But the ice is real nice up there, froze pretty smooth for the most part this year, a lot like around here.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard it froze beautifully smooth up there. Best in many years. Ridges are always to be taken deadly serious. Minimal snow right now.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hear ya about the ridges Ahab!
My buddy got off the atv yesterday morning in the dark and walked over to check one out to see if we could cross it and down he went right to his chin in the middle of the lake down here. Luckily he got ahold over the crack and pulled himself out quick. made for a cold rest of the day..

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hear ya about the ridges Ahab!
My buddy got off the atv yesterday morning in the dark and walked over to check one out to see if we could cross it and down he went right to his chin in the middle of the lake down here. Luckily he got ahold over the crack and pulled himself out quick. made for a cold rest of the day..
::wowzers::

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Headed north as soon as I punch out of work tonight. I’ll be in a crew cab ranger if anyone else is up there.
A12C6736-9220-4D56-BD87-9DBF4993C3DD.jpg

Upnorth

Tracks are not needed right now. No major snowstorm in the 14 day forecast. Lots of cracks, but mike had no issues in his Ranger. Ice is 14-18 inches.

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a nice Ranger. My question is how do you get out of it after driving it into an enclosed trailer? Out the front windshield?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18