Tracks needed for Lake Winnipeg?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just hope for juans friends he doesnt eat stinky crunchy corn nuts the whole trip.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't spend winters in ND so hard water fishing is out for me, … but is Lake Winnipeg good for walleyes in the summer vs. DL or Sak? From Metigoshe it should be a pretty easy trip.

Steve.

Oh so you werent on metigoshe when you sent that pic earlier last month. Go figure.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't spend winters in ND so hard water fishing is out for me, … but is Lake Winnipeg good for walleyes in the summer vs. DL or Sak? From Metigoshe it should be a pretty easy trip.

Steve.

I can't speak from personal experience, but I can tell you what a guide that stopped to chat told me last winter when I asked that question. He said he lives right on a river that would be a very short trip by boat to get onto LW. He said he rarely fishes it in the summer. Said he goes over to Lake of The Woods for better fishing.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't speak from personal experience, but I can tell you what a guide that stopped to chat told me last winter when I asked that question. He said he lives right on a river that would be a very short trip by boat to get onto LW. He said he rarely fishes it in the summer. Said he goes over to Lake of The Woods for better fishing.

That's interesting. Guess if I try another lake, it will be DL. Thanks.

Steve

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish was slow for us today. Biggest in our group was 24.5. The snow is getting making travel pulling a sled tough with wheels. Houses will stay back tomorrow then make travel easier. Hoping for something big in the group for the 3 kids that tagged along.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the report all4eyes !! Me and mr dude hit the road in the AM

Walleye Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
First day fishing was today. I agree on slow however it did pickup for us in the afternoon. Biggest was 11 lbs with a ten, a few 7s 8s and 9s mixed in and a handful of eaters that got the knife. Travel on sleds was tough in the morning with snowpack frozen but got better as the day went with warm temps. Not much snow left on the ice and we did need a 12" extension to get thru the ice.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep on with updates! Heading up for my virgin run on Sunday to fish for a few days. Hoping atv with chains will be fine. And hoping to get a slobbo!
Are fish in general slow to mark or just more finicky following lures?

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Extensions are not needed on Winnipeg right now. Ice ranges from 20"-30" at the most unless you drill right on a ridge which may have a little more ice. I have not had to ditch a hole yet due to the ice being too thick on a standard flighting. As for access...wheels, tracks and sleds are getting around just fine. Even pickups have been making it to the mouth but are kinda limited to trails. It also took a couple days but we found big fish. You just have to be patient and sit on the area and wait em out once you find an area with some activity. The bite for the big fish seemed to be best around mid day. Less bites but bigger fish for sure.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep on with updates! Heading up for my virgin run on Sunday to fish for a few days. Hoping atv with chains will be fine. And hoping to get a slobbo!
Are fish in general slow to mark or just more finicky following lures?

The big ones we caught came in fast as a shark and smashed em, would never even see them on the vex most times.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
The big ones we caught came in fast as a shark and smashed em, would never even see them on the vex most times.

Are they hitting rippin raps or buckshot type lures? Or is it about anything u drop down the hole. I heard the noisy raps were hot for awhile.

Walleye Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are they hitting rippin raps or buckshot type lures? Or is it about anything u drop down the hole. I heard the noisy raps were hot for awhile.

Jackalls and pelican spoons tipped with a minnow worked yesterday. Also caught a few on blade baits and warpigs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea pretty much anything you throw at them, just have to change it up. The bigger your group the better I think, with all the racket going on with the rattling stuff being jigged. There's a reason those guides snowbears travel in groups of 4-6 machines, it attracts the fish and keeps them around.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you that go to Winnipeg quite often what do you take for spending money? Essentially do you take American money or do you go to the bank and get some Canadian? Just curious....thanks!

beanman82

I usually take about $150 Canadian dollars for small stuff and use a card for gas. That way you get the best exchange and no hassle when using our money there.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you that go to Winnipeg quite often what do you take for spending money? Essentially do you take American money or do you go to the bank and get some Canadian? Just curious....thanks!

I just use my CC. If you prefer to pay cash I suggest using CAD. Cheap trip right now with the exchange and cheap gas.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 57
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19