51-plus-inch DL pike???

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, I would be in for a big bill with the taxidermist

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is certainly nothing wrong with a good replica either. A skin mount is going to deteriorate over time....I don't care what you do to it, it's going to deteriorate. A skin mount is still put over a form and still painted, so they're not as much different as people may think. Who wants a mount that looks like crap 20 years from now? Now that's a waste in my opinion.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is certainly nothing wrong with a good replica either. A skin mount is going to deteriorate over time....I don't care what you do to it, it's going to deteriorate. A skin mount is still put over a form and still painted, so they're not as much different as people may think. Who wants a mount that looks like crap 20 years from now? Now that's a waste in my opinion.

So modern chemistry (silicone-based preservation fluids, etc.) haven't improved on the longevity much? That really surprises me. I have no knowledge in this area - just curious.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught a big pike back in 1992 that came out of Spring Steele, lake of the woods, it is hanging on my wall looking exactly as it did when it came out of the ice hole. that fish is 24 years old.

They very well might fall apart over time, however mine is looking great after all these years and moving a half dozen times.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wags will never swim in that lake knowing that sharks like that live there! I would have had a hard time releasing that fish myself.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome Pike! The going rate when I last checked in '01 was $10.50 per inch. Load it up, wrap it in a wet towel and travel my man!! Gotta ask yourself how long you fought it with that fly rod, ask yourself what her chances of survival are and go from there.

I kept a 46" in '01 because I couldn't revive her. I didn't want her floating down the river. Took too long to get her in on light walleye gear I guess.

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is definately a fish of a lifetime. Congrats to the lucky angler! At 51 inches it would take an awfully girthy fish to hit the 37 lb mark. Would be hard for a spawned out fish to do that. Ahabs estimate looks right IMO.

Makes one wonder with all the smelt and bait swimming around Sak these days how many giant pike are swimming those waters. I love me some giant pike.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is definately a fish of a lifetime. Congrats to the lucky angler! At 51 inches it would take an awfully girthy fish to hit the 37 lb mark. Would be hard for a spawned out fish to do that. Ahabs estimate looks right IMO.

Makes one wonder with all the smelt and bait swimming around Sak these days how many giant pike are swimming those waters. I love me some giant pike.

Had one that was close to 20# close to the boat in the early 80s , I about crapped when I saw how light he was hooked and he decided to swim away , there were quite a few big ones being caught back then but the fishing pressure was crazy too.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have also kept it, to hang on my wall that is a fish of a lifetime. But good an the angler for throwing it back if it isn't what he wanted and is after something bigger.
Image the size of the fillets that would come off something like that...... You could just cook the Y Bone section like regular ribs the bones would be so large.. Ha

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard a fish story in Yates about guy who had a true monster pike. Can't remember the details, all I remember is that had that fish been weighed right away, it would've been state record.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
This pic is of the same fish.....look at that lower jaw, incredible fish!

pikeDL.jpg

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a sow! Would have loved to see that fish full of eggs.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So modern chemistry (silicone-based preservation fluids, etc.) haven't improved on the longevity much? That really surprises me. I have no knowledge in this area - just curious.

Keep it out of direct sunlight. "Dust" it often w/compressed/canned air.

Founding Member
Founding Member
47 lb musky was netted in Iowa last week.
IMG_20160424_201657.jpg

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard a fish story in Yates about guy who had a true monster pike. Can't remember the details, all I remember is that had that fish been weighed right away, it would've been state record.

4 mile pike late 80's, no game and fish around to verify the fish and he went to the fryer,

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 268
  • This month: 225
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 79