51-plus-inch DL pike???

1pingonly

Founding Member
Founding Member
wow... I bet his heart started pounding when he got his first look at that thing coming in...and thanks for not holding it out at arms length to make it look bigger...(jeez i hate that). this is a true monster fish. nice job

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, that is impressive. good on him for releasing cause I know I would have kept it for the wall especially on a fly rod

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to find fault in throwing back a fish that may have smashed the nearly 40 year old state record. But, I can't. And I honestly won't be surprised if one of them catches another in the near future. They have been at this for a few years. But, that's a short time in a fisherman's life.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Dam, the bar has just been raised, that fish which will be appreciated by any hardcore Esox Angler. I don't think Ive ever seen a pic of 50+ pike from Canada, MN, WI, etc. A 45"er is an epic fish by Pike standards.. Keep pumping out fish like that and the Musky guides next stop will be DL (not to be confused with Detroit Lake;))

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
And to even THINK it would butt up against a state record, and release it anyways!! Oyyyy, What would I do in that very instance? A good possibility of a state record that could be on the books for 50yrs...

It's not like others haven't caught onto a 50"+ pike before, they just didn't know it because the brute snapped 18,000 lines before the day he landed up on shore. That ol' girl has pushed a ton of lures through her sphynter, not?? LOL

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a fish. Good for him to release the it. I honestly don't know what I would have done in that situation. That is a fish of a lifetime and I couldn't fault anyone for keeping it either. I would image he has lots of pictures/measurements and could get a replica done?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is he knew it wasn't quite the state record as it was probably spawned out already. He'll be after that girl again when it is bulkier.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That fish is most likely dead now. Those old gals die easily after being worn out from a fight. :;:stirthepot

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is he knew it wasn't quite the state record as it was probably spawned out already. He'll be after that girl again when it is bulkier.

Agree. That's a giant fish, but in my opinion she doesn't have the belly to make 37 and change. I don't want to take anything away from the fish, because I would be MORE than happy to catch it, but I too think she'd have come up shy of the record.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on his tippet strength it could be an IGFA line class record, but I think you need an actual weight for those as well.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
That fish is insane. When I first saw the picture, immediately thought 35 lbs. A true, true brute. A great picture of the fish at that angle also, it really shows how big the fish is.

Simply kick ass.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 34
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16