Another New John's Giant

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the pic of the fish on the tailgate you can see another larger auger in the truck.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the muskie wasn’t that girth along it’s entire length of course - so that 27” pot belly got redistributed along its length somehow as it was coming up I guess

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive had to force a few sak pike through an 8" hole back in they day. Gaff can be a life saver in those situations!

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing that has always made me wonder a little is the old record was 40lbs right on the nose and 44.8 inches long. Does that seem a little strange to you Muskie Maniac? That’s just a rediculous weight for a 44” fish. Wonder if there is a picture of that fish floating around

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing that has always made me wonder a little is the old record was 40lbs right on the nose and 44.8 inches long. Does that seem a little strange to you Muskie Maniac? That’s just a rediculous weight for a 44” fish. Wonder if there is a picture of that fish floating around

chance is 1:16 if they were ouncing back then

1:10 if they were decimaling

ha ha

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet a Russian had something to do with measuring the old record for sure.

FinsFursFeathers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buddy that used to live in Regan. He was always chasin' them.....never heard of him braggin' about anything like that. Awesome job!!!! Like was stated...would have been awesome to have had someone to share the experience with. Let alone to have had a little help with icing it. I'll bet that had the old heart pumping!!! Congrats regardless how it turns out!!!!

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member

Had a 46" spawned out female northern that ran 23.25 pounds caught in the spring if'n you are trying to compare. 40 lbs for a 44" - 45" muskie even if it was full of eggs sounds crazy to me too.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
According to my Musky Weight Calculator app a 45 inch musky would need around a 28" girth to average around 41 pounds.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone go to New Johns in the summer to specifically target muskies? Just curious, always wanted to try throwing some of those huge lures and see if I could get a huge one to at least follow.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note I would think you could get some fricking monsters to grow in Devils Lake or Stump.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone go to New Johns in the summer to specifically target muskies? Just curious, always wanted to try throwing some of those huge lures and see if I could get a huge one to at least follow.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note I would think you could get some fricking monsters to grow in Devils Lake or Stump.

I spent a lot of years up there throwing a lot of big obnoxious topwater for smallmouth and only caught a few muskie, none of them big. I have seen some absolute monsters cruising in the canal but they rarely will even look at any lure, they just keep cruising. I did have a buddy catch a 35# on a big husky jerk.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be prepared to spend weeks of casting giant baits without so much as a sighting. Muskie fishing at New Johns is a humbling experience. Prepare the go home with your tail between your legs 90% of the your time. Better yet just stick to walleyes with your ferry wands. Muskies are for real men.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member

- - - Updated - - -

How dare you suggest muskys in Devils Lake or Stump! Don't you know that they will eat all the walleyes? Don't you know that once the walleyes disappear property values will plummet? Lord help me if you park in front of my dock and cast for more than 5 minutes!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84