Financial Status

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Retire, no debt and living on our SS and small pension from military. Part time job for my toys and no problem with monies when it comes to drinking old mill. Savings continues to grow. Most of our savings came after age 66 when we were out of debt, and we put $6,000 each month away with SS and salary until i retire at 73. IRS did take a part of that. Bought a 2-year CD at 4.6% yesterday.

I now have a touch over 50 guns, plan on more and am not ashamed i have that many. There were issues, mistakes made like all had then and now, but we got through them and now life is good (for the most part).

Yes, concerns but we made it, and our kids (living on their own with kids) will too, even with their share of issues. db

Greenhorn

Honored Member
You made me look. So here it is straight from the Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/womens-databook/2020/home.htm

Married-couple families​

Among married-couple families, 53 percent had earnings from both the wife and the husband in 2018. This percentage, which has changed little over the past 10 years, is below the peak of 60 percent in the mid- to late 1990s but above the 44 percent seen in 1967. Couples in which only the husband worked for pay represented 18 percent of married-couple families in 2018, versus 36 percent in 1967. (See table 24B; data were collected in the 1968 through 2019 Annual Social and Economic Supplements to the CPS and reflect earnings and work experience in the previous calendar year.)
Interesting. Narrowing it down a bit further since "married-couple" families can encompass people aged 20-90, I wonder what the data show regarding millennials. I personally only know a couple stay-at-home moms that are ages 20-40.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Answering my own question...I suppose my questions was more-so regarding stay-at-home mothers vs generic two-income households.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2014/04/08/after-decades-of-decline-a-rise-in-stay-at-home-mothers/#:~:text=About three-in-ten children,mother who stayed at home.

Among all mothers, the share who are stay-at-home mothers with working husbands fell to 20% in 2012 from 40% in 1970. Among all stay-at-home mothers, those who are married with working husbands make up the largest share (68% in 2012), but that has declined significantly from 1970, when it was 85%. As marriage rates have declined among U.S. adults, a growing share of stay-at-home mothers consists of single mothers (20% in 2012, compared with 8% in 1970). About 5% are cohabiting mothers, and 7% are married mothers whose husbands do not work.

1667587827737.png

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard thru the grapevine that 2 quarters north of town sold this fall for $4700.00 an acre.

That's $1.5 million :oops:

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Being Debt free is the only real insulation from interest rates or inflation IMO. With the real inflation rate that includes energy and food, I think we are in for some rocky times ahead.
They keep throwing around numbers like 8.3%, but I don't know one thing the common man buys that is up only 8.3%...or even 20%. Eggs-$5/dozen. Chicken wings-$16/4 lbs. The Champagne of Beers-$22.45/case....40% to 400% in the last couple years.
Maybe luxury yachts and private jets are flat, keeping the number low.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard thru the grapevine that 2 quarters north of town sold this fall for $4700.00 an acre.

That's $1.5 million :oops:
This spring there was a land sale that got into a bidding war, half went for $16,000 an acre and the other half of the property went for $8,500 Here in western ND.
Right now theres an outfit out of Texas buying up all the waterfowl land they can get, and price is not an issue with them north of Bismarck..not good.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When everything is paid for you can live pretty reasonable unless you have to eat out a lot, travel to fancy islands to drink, or stay 3 jumps ahead of the rich Jones. The wife and I can do what we want on 1500 per month. Keeps the house warm an cool at the right times . The freezers are full, the car is new, trucks get me where I want, travel trailer suits us just fine and so does the boat. Plenty guns and ammo. Every tool that I would ever need or want. Got one suit and a leather coat good enough there too, Underwear and sweatpants are overflowing, so are blue jeans. Mama loves me so that helps. Mama Does get pissed when it come to getting me something for birthday or Christmas cause I got everything I want. Except health and you can't buy that. Sucks LB

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
This spring there was a land sale that got into a bidding war, half went for $16,000 an acre and the other half of the property went for $8,500 Here in western ND.
Right now theres an outfit out of Texas buying up all the waterfowl land they can get, and price is not an issue with them north of Bismarck..not good.
Good by hunting as we know it! Good luck getting permission from those outfits! Land in ND is the cheapest in the nation

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fighting:

Yes, it sure has change since my first tag in 1959. Just need to keep finding ways to work with it. Some for the better and others not. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 217
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70