Humminbird Side Imaging

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Humminbird Side Imaging Sonor. I tried this past weekend for the first time and did not mark any fish with it. I figure that I don't have it set right. So what are the correct settings for using on the river? I know that there were fish there because we caught a limit of 10. I was doing about 1.0-1.5 mph when I was trying to scan with it. I was in 8-13' of water and scanned an area of about 600 yds long. I had it set at a range of 100'. Any advice or tips that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems most of what I hear is the settings are going to vary from boat to boat, day to day even. I've never messed with mine much, I think I have the sensitivity around 10. I use 60' for range, figure it makes things stand out a bit easier. Got any screen shots of what you were seeing? You definitely should be able to see fish on the river. They can be subtle though, typically you're looking for a little brighter return with a shadow behind it.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
one thing to consider is bringing the side distance down to 40-50 ft instead of the 100, the further out you scan the smaller the details show up. Also a lot of the river walleye are tight to the bottom so they don't stick out like one would expect, as zoops stated can be very minute with very little shadow due to being that close to bottom. As for settings I looked at some videos on YouTube for settings and info and worked with it until I got it so it seems to be working. Next time I use mine will try to remember to note some of my settings and send them to you by PM as a starting point to try. May be a while until I get out between weather and work, GL and just keep on working with it and it should. get better as you use it more.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have any experience with bird, but i would either find some YouTube videos or just google your sonar and you may find other forums with suggested settings. That's what I did with my Garmin and have never touched it since. Fish stick out like a sore thumb along the sandy river bottom. I do agree that 100' is probably a bit much until you know for sure how to use it and what to look for to see fish.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you very much for the help, I was wondering if I was using too much distance with it.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once you get it figured out it will be your favorite tool. I rarely fish a spot anymore if I do not mark fish on my side imaging

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once you get it figured out it will be your favorite tool. I rarely fish a spot anymore if I do not mark fish on my side imaging
A friend of mine who is a very good fisherman and successful tournament guy said the same thing. He was telling me how much it has made his pre fishing for tournaments so much easier and has allowed him to spend more time fishing and less time searching for fish. He also said that once you get it figured out, you can start seeing the size of the fish by the size of the marks. He's not saying that you can tell that it is a 8LB walleye, but he can see that it's a bigger fish or that it's a smaller fish.

He once sent me a screen shot of a paddle fish and you could actually tell that it was a paddle fish. it was very cool.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Side imaging should work really well in the river with the clear water and sand bottom. I would second the Tom Boley tutorials and reducing SI distance to 75' as well. Also, make sure you have your transducer positioned properly - too high or too low and you wont get good returns from SI.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When searching for fish, how fast can you go and still get a good read on the bottom?

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shorten the width. Believe it or not you should be seeing fish with even the factory settings most times.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wrote this up for the guy that bought a graph from me.
IMG_5173.JPG

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 179
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93