Pheasant opener # 57

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Posts
2,301
Likes
1,736
Points
568
It has been incredible milestone for me. 57 Consecutive opening days,
20261008_104459.jpg
is a rare and beautiful badge of honor for me.To have started at age 11 in the 1960s soilbank era around Hankinson, North Dakota, I witnessed some of the greatest years of upland hunting history. My journey through shotguns—from the Savage .410/.22 combination gun to the Westenfield 410 pump, the Stevens 12 ga, and finally buying a Remington 1100 12 ga at Sioux Sporting Goods in Bismarck, I really miss that store. To be walking behind a lifetime of good dogs, seeing your kids take their first birds, and carrying those memories into the field this year is what the hunt is truly about.
Do I start the Day off with the 410/22 or the pump 410 I have them both. Or go with the 1100 or the trusty 870. And what shells do I shoot the Federal Duck and Pheasant load. Or the Federal Hi-Power or Winchester Duck and Pheasant loads. Or do you go with the Modern day Bismuth or Tungsten - Iron.

I also think back to the old vehicle I had back then. A 1962 Pontiac station wagon or Buick Wildcat or my first pickup 1975 Ford Shortbox.

It will never be the same no matter what I do. But I will always have the memories of the rise of a Rooster and the cackle on a crisp opening morning.
 


49994

★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2017
Posts
388
Likes
204
Points
190
Location
Eastern ND
It has been incredible milestone for me. 57 Consecutive opening days,
20261008_104459.jpg
is a rare and beautiful badge of honor for me.To have started at age 11 in the 1960s soilbank era around Hankinson, North Dakota, I witnessed some of the greatest years of upland hunting history. My journey through shotguns—from the Savage .410/.22 combination gun to the Westenfield 410 pump, the Stevens 12 ga, and finally buying a Remington 1100 12 ga at Sioux Sporting Goods in Bismarck, I really miss that store. To be walking behind a lifetime of good dogs, seeing your kids take their first birds, and carrying those memories into the field this year is what the hunt is truly about.
Do I start the Day off with the 410/22 or the pump 410 I have them both. Or go with the 1100 or the trusty 870. And what shells do I shoot the Federal Duck and Pheasant load. Or the Federal Hi-Power or Winchester Duck and Pheasant loads. Or do you go with the Modern day Bismuth or Tungsten - Iron.

I also think back to the old vehicle I had back then. A 1962 Pontiac station wagon or Buick Wildcat or my first pickup 1975 Ford Shortbox.

It will never be the same no matter what I do. But I will always have the memories of the rise of a Rooster and the cackle on a crisp opening morning.
Thanks for sharing the story.....I would suggest going back to the .410/.22 combo, for the full circle back to 11yrs of age...good luck
 

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

  • This month: 70
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
Top Bottom