Pheasant opener # 57

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Posts
2,303
Likes
1,743
Points
568
It has been incredible milestone for me. 57 Consecutive opening days,
20261008_104459.jpg
is a rare and beautiful badge of honor for me.To have started at age 11 in the 1960s soilbank era around Hankinson, North Dakota, I witnessed some of the greatest years of upland hunting history. My journey through shotguns—from the Savage .410/.22 combination gun to the Westenfield 410 pump, the Stevens 12 ga, and finally buying a Remington 1100 12 ga at Sioux Sporting Goods in Bismarck, I really miss that store. To be walking behind a lifetime of good dogs, seeing your kids take their first birds, and carrying those memories into the field this year is what the hunt is truly about.
Do I start the Day off with the 410/22 or the pump 410 I have them both. Or go with the 1100 or the trusty 870. And what shells do I shoot the Federal Duck and Pheasant load. Or the Federal Hi-Power or Winchester Duck and Pheasant loads. Or do you go with the Modern day Bismuth or Tungsten - Iron.

I also think back to the old vehicle I had back then. A 1962 Pontiac station wagon or Buick Wildcat or my first pickup 1975 Ford Shortbox.

It will never be the same no matter what I do. But I will always have the memories of the rise of a Rooster and the cackle on a crisp opening morning.
 


49994

★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2017
Posts
388
Likes
204
Points
190
Location
Eastern ND
It has been incredible milestone for me. 57 Consecutive opening days,
20261008_104459.jpg
is a rare and beautiful badge of honor for me.To have started at age 11 in the 1960s soilbank era around Hankinson, North Dakota, I witnessed some of the greatest years of upland hunting history. My journey through shotguns—from the Savage .410/.22 combination gun to the Westenfield 410 pump, the Stevens 12 ga, and finally buying a Remington 1100 12 ga at Sioux Sporting Goods in Bismarck, I really miss that store. To be walking behind a lifetime of good dogs, seeing your kids take their first birds, and carrying those memories into the field this year is what the hunt is truly about.
Do I start the Day off with the 410/22 or the pump 410 I have them both. Or go with the 1100 or the trusty 870. And what shells do I shoot the Federal Duck and Pheasant load. Or the Federal Hi-Power or Winchester Duck and Pheasant loads. Or do you go with the Modern day Bismuth or Tungsten - Iron.

I also think back to the old vehicle I had back then. A 1962 Pontiac station wagon or Buick Wildcat or my first pickup 1975 Ford Shortbox.

It will never be the same no matter what I do. But I will always have the memories of the rise of a Rooster and the cackle on a crisp opening morning.
Thanks for sharing the story.....I would suggest going back to the .410/.22 combo, for the full circle back to 11yrs of age...good luck
 




1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Posts
2,303
Likes
1,743
Points
568
Got you beat by 1 my 58th opener, I have a 68 model 1100 in excellent shape 3 inch Magnum 199.00 in 1968
Keep at it, till you can't go anymore. My 1100 is a 1972 md 3 inch. Was 30 inch full, I had the barrel cut down to 22 inches and put screw in chokes in it. I think I paid 89.00 for mine used. I opened up the gas port about .009 to shoot everything. I can shoot 1 Oz loads and it cycles great.
 

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2018
Posts
3,729
Likes
4,054
Points
778
Location
West of Minntucky
Is that a 1100 or 11-87?
1100 special field….one of the first ones

I’ve broke the front bead off a half a dozen times. Now it’s orange. Dad cut the stock down to fit and affixed the current recoil pad when I was 13ish? I retired it, but it’s going to kill again tomorrow
 
Last edited:


Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined
May 11, 2015
Posts
5,551
Likes
1,328
Points
558
Chip.JPG

Chip is two. Got him from Berg Brothers English Setters in Rogers Minnesota. Excellent gun dogs and family friendly. Beautiful morning no wind heavy dew so the birds were out in the stubble early catching rays. Pursuing those can be difficult. As you approach, they beat feet and keep running/flying. I waited until 11:00. Half a tree row; done.
 

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

  • This month: 75
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 18
Top Bottom