Pheasant opener # 57

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Posts
2,303
Likes
1,741
Points
568
It has been incredible milestone for me. 57 Consecutive opening days,
20261008_104459.jpg
is a rare and beautiful badge of honor for me.To have started at age 11 in the 1960s soilbank era around Hankinson, North Dakota, I witnessed some of the greatest years of upland hunting history. My journey through shotguns—from the Savage .410/.22 combination gun to the Westenfield 410 pump, the Stevens 12 ga, and finally buying a Remington 1100 12 ga at Sioux Sporting Goods in Bismarck, I really miss that store. To be walking behind a lifetime of good dogs, seeing your kids take their first birds, and carrying those memories into the field this year is what the hunt is truly about.
Do I start the Day off with the 410/22 or the pump 410 I have them both. Or go with the 1100 or the trusty 870. And what shells do I shoot the Federal Duck and Pheasant load. Or the Federal Hi-Power or Winchester Duck and Pheasant loads. Or do you go with the Modern day Bismuth or Tungsten - Iron.

I also think back to the old vehicle I had back then. A 1962 Pontiac station wagon or Buick Wildcat or my first pickup 1975 Ford Shortbox.

It will never be the same no matter what I do. But I will always have the memories of the rise of a Rooster and the cackle on a crisp opening morning.
 


49994

★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2017
Posts
388
Likes
204
Points
190
Location
Eastern ND
It has been incredible milestone for me. 57 Consecutive opening days,
20261008_104459.jpg
is a rare and beautiful badge of honor for me.To have started at age 11 in the 1960s soilbank era around Hankinson, North Dakota, I witnessed some of the greatest years of upland hunting history. My journey through shotguns—from the Savage .410/.22 combination gun to the Westenfield 410 pump, the Stevens 12 ga, and finally buying a Remington 1100 12 ga at Sioux Sporting Goods in Bismarck, I really miss that store. To be walking behind a lifetime of good dogs, seeing your kids take their first birds, and carrying those memories into the field this year is what the hunt is truly about.
Do I start the Day off with the 410/22 or the pump 410 I have them both. Or go with the 1100 or the trusty 870. And what shells do I shoot the Federal Duck and Pheasant load. Or the Federal Hi-Power or Winchester Duck and Pheasant loads. Or do you go with the Modern day Bismuth or Tungsten - Iron.

I also think back to the old vehicle I had back then. A 1962 Pontiac station wagon or Buick Wildcat or my first pickup 1975 Ford Shortbox.

It will never be the same no matter what I do. But I will always have the memories of the rise of a Rooster and the cackle on a crisp opening morning.
Thanks for sharing the story.....I would suggest going back to the .410/.22 combo, for the full circle back to 11yrs of age...good luck
 

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2018
Posts
3,723
Likes
4,044
Points
778
Location
West of Minntucky
The 1100 will always be my single most favorite weapon. Without a doubt.

And I’m a rifle guy.

The one in your pic is a beaut!
 


Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2018
Posts
3,723
Likes
4,044
Points
778
Location
West of Minntucky
I wonder if these will work? Prolly not, there is a picture of a dove on them. Oh wait….i can use them for wabbits and chickens too

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
 

Pheasant 54

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2018
Posts
678
Likes
424
Points
200
Got you beat by 1 my 58th opener, I have a 68 model 1100 in excellent shape 3 inch Magnum 199.00 in 1968
 


1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Posts
2,303
Likes
1,741
Points
568
Got you beat by 1 my 58th opener, I have a 68 model 1100 in excellent shape 3 inch Magnum 199.00 in 1968
Keep at it, till you can't go anymore. My 1100 is a 1972 md 3 inch. Was 30 inch full, I had the barrel cut down to 22 inches and put screw in chokes in it. I think I paid 89.00 for mine used. I opened up the gas port about .009 to shoot everything. I can shoot 1 Oz loads and it cycles great.
 

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2018
Posts
3,723
Likes
4,044
Points
778
Location
West of Minntucky
Is that a 1100 or 11-87?
1100 special field….one of the first ones

I’ve broke the front bead off a half a dozen times. Now it’s orange. Dad cut the stock down to fit and affixed the current recoil pad when I was 13ish? I retired it, but it’s going to kill again tomorrow
 
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

  • This month: 75
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16
Top Bottom