2018 Owens BBQ Black Friday/Cyber Monday Specials!

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just had some fresh deer straps dusted with tatonka dust and fried in butter.
Damn good stuff, sad I only have a little left.

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still working on bringing Tatonka Dust seasoning back, will never give up. Signed contracts with yet another co-packer a few weeks ago.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
summer sausage seasonings are very good. ive been doing original for 3 years now added a 25# batch of garlic last year and thought that was even better thinking about trying the Cajun as well this year.most of the people i give it to say its the best they have tasted and ive only been doing my own summer sausage for 5 years now so i would say it has more to do with his seasonig blend than anything i do on my end.

if you haven't tried his products I would give them a shot

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
so I definitely want to try some of these. I'm a straight forward brat guy. Whats anyone recommend? leaning towards the beer brat or stadium brats...

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
so I definitely want to try some of these. I'm a straight forward brat guy. Whats anyone recommend? leaning towards the beer brat or stadium brats...

The Wisconsin is going to be the most "traditional" brat, Beer and then Onion Garlic are the most standard. The Stadium is very unique of loaded with tons of different flavors, I don't think this one is one I would recommend for more straight forward flavors you are looking for. Also I will add in case you smoke your brats(adding a cure of course), I don't recommend smoking the Stadium brats as the pickle flavoring of the seasoning turns terrible smoked.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive made Owens beer, stadium, and philly cheesesteak brats and they are all good but the beer brats are AMAZING! If you want a straight brat flavor get beer. You will not be disappointed.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member

I did their spinach feta brats last year, straight pork with light smoke. Amazing! Everyone i gave them to wanted to buy some off me but me and another guy split a 20 lb batch and there was no way I was getting rid of some

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the freezer loaded up with venison, I guess its time to order up another box of seasonings. If I had to pick a favorite from Mossy I'd have to go with Red Barn. I don't know how many batches we've made but it never gets old.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the good feedback! guess ill be trying multiple kinds! Im semi new to this (have only helped others using their equipment) but just purchased my own equipment, my next question would be are you putting the cure in your brats? and typically no smoke brats correct? besides the above guy?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Instead of making brats I just make the pattys then vacume pack. Perfect for the wife and me and not so much labor involved.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Instead of making brats I just make the pattys then vacume pack. Perfect for the wife and me and not so much labor involved.

I did this last year and it worked great for us, even smoked some up all the way and vac packed for really quick reheat meal.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
We don't use cure for brats and don't smoke them either. I made normal brat links and also packed some in 1lb hamburger bags for brat "burgers" last year.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for all the good feedback! guess ill be trying multiple kinds! Im semi new to this (have only helped others using their equipment) but just purchased my own equipment, my next question would be are you putting the cure in your brats? and typically no smoke brats correct? besides the above guy?
Some of the flavor would taste great smoked others not so much. The ones we made last year we didn’t smoke and they turned out great. They are all good so hard to recommend one flavor.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
so an update as I am done making sausage and have eaten enough to give my reviews.What I ended up doing was 3 25# batches.

1. Antelope/pork 50/50 with the philly cheesesteak brat mix, I added high temp mozzarella cheese. Awesome flavor. One of those you never get sick of. I have ate a lot of them so far and continue to enjoy them ( would strongly recommend this seasoning)

2. Deer/pork 50/50 with Beer brat mix. Also a very good flavor. Even better if you have a good home made jar of sauerkraut. (would recommend trying if you like standard brat flavors)

3. Deer/pork 50/50 Country style sausage for ring sausage (not smoked). This was my last batch I made for the weekend and pretty much did it all myself with some minor help from my wife so I got lazy and didn't weigh out a solid 25#. Due to this the sausage came out with more of a strong flavor. Still good, my wife still really likes it but is a little strong for my liking. In the future I will explore other ring sausage recipes but thought it was good for my first batch of it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 180
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84