advisory meetings

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
what brought them in to the blind?

I'd like to think it was my fantastic rattling skills for the one this year. He came running in over the hill right down to my blind.

the 2017 deer, I had been making adjustments to my blind and not being real quiet. I no more than sat down and was getting the bow ready and looked up and he was standing at 30 and came in to 20 yards and turned. It was during the rut so am thinking he was curious what the "noise" was. I suppose it could have sounded like a couple of bucks pushing each other around.... :;:huh

The previous ones were early in the season and they just casually walked by the blind. I just happened to be in it at the time. I suppose technically they came in as well but I didn't do anything to entice them to come in.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many deer do you think benefit by getting easy meals from bait piles and go into winter in much better physical shape? I submit that the vast majority of deer that roll into and out of any active bait location don't get shot, but they sure do like the easy meal and come back several times throughout a 24 hour period. Trail cams have shown that. I guess IMO, there is a tangible benefit to the deer herd as well as the hunter to have easy access to food, not to mention the squirrels, raccoons, birds, and other grain feeders that add to the speed at which a bushel of corn disappears. The G&F seem to only want to focus on their perceived adverse affect to create fear and panic instead of looking at the entire picture which is typical of any political entity.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The NDGF spends more money on radio collering cats than old Billy boy did on orgy island.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I made my feeling know on post 24 about baiting.
I do think now and then what harm I may be causing.
Been deer hunting since 59. Back then got the tag Friday morning, no hunters to speak of and also no deer to speak of.
However did not seem to have all the issues back then as we seem to have now. Just went hunting during the rifle season. Seldom seen a game warden.
Now more deer and more hunters and with the additional hunters, additional opinions with some the need to tell others the right way with those ways based on personal agendas.
Baiting, food plots, habitat and water ( yes I have in my day put water containers up for the deer), things that I have work on will all be gone one day. Why, because those against baiting want it to stop and will use CWD as an avenue to ban. They say the disease is spread by contact. Sounds right to me.
In my 40 plus years of hunting I also have an opinion.
That is an opinion share by many on here as to deer herding up, eating out of the same spot long before I started my venture with deer. Just did not have CWD or at least not known of back then.

So take one's personal agenda out, use some common sense and maybe we can come to common ground.

Then I think about the good I have done with the focus on providing deer with whatever help I can give them to survive.
So I am not sure if I have hurt the deer or done some good for them and for those who enjoy the deer. I have found a lot of people upset with me because I have all the deer on land that is posted and I hunt (for them it seems that way). You can hunt your way and I will enjoy deer my way.

Game and fish, to much book learning there with little common sense sometimes.

As a bow hunter I am not about to put a loin cloth on, cut some branches for arrows and bow, turkey for the feathers and go for it. But, for me, you can keep your AR 223 with your 700 yard shots.
I just hope what is good for the deer comes out of it.

I bought a trike last summer and there is a whole another world i need to focus on in the remaining years with the wife. At the same time will continue to go to northern Canada as long as I am able to find sheds and will put in the food plots and grain as long as I am able to. db

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

Brad Dokken: Mule deer buck initially tests positive for chronic wasting disease in northwest N.D., Game and Fish Department says

By Brad Dokken Today at 9:43 a.m.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebook
3Share to TwitterTwitter
Share to RedditReddit
Share to EmailEmail

Share to Copy LinkCopy Link

arrow-next.png
arrow-back.png
1OXeRbSWEquriSHAMVDob573uuVck6ijG.jpg
image-info.png
A mule deer buck (not the one pictured) has initially tested positive for chronic wasting disease in Unit 3A1 of northwest North Dakota. If confirmed as expected, the finding will mark the first case of CWD outside Unit 3F2 of southwest North Dakota, the Game and Fish Department says. (Photo/ Ty Stockton, North Dakota Game and Fish Department)1 / 3
1l40VFkyT2mIH-Ts5ug8M2A6aawY-Ymcu.jpg
image-info.png
The initial positive case of chronic wasting disease in a mule deer buck was found in Unit 3A1 in the far northwest corner of the state. (North Dakota Game and Fish Department)2 / 3
1le4ov97_rQLWzFm-FE84XCG875DqnTTn.jpg
image-info.png
3 / 3

Chronic wasting disease has been in the news again this week with the report that a deer in Houston County in far southeast Minnesota tested "presumptive positive" for the disease.

In a news release Wednesday, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources said confirmation was expected, which will mean the first confirmed case of CWD in Houston County since testing began in 2002.

Now, it appears CWD also is making inroads in North Dakota, where a deer in Unit 3A1 initially has tested positive for the disease.
As in Houston County, the case would be the first for northwest North Dakota.
According to Jeb Williams, wildlife chief for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department in Bismarck, the deer was a mule deer buck shot in the northwest portion of Unit 3A1

As with any initial results that come back positive, a sample from the deer has been sent to a second lab for confirmation, Williams said. Results from that second test aren't yet available, but the department has never had an initial positive come back negative in secondary testing, he said.
"We are operating under the assumption that it is" positive, Williams said Friday.
An acronym that has become all too familiar in recent years, CWD is a brain disease that's fatal to deer, elk and moose. The DNR has been battling pockets of the disease in southeast and central Minnesota for several years with special hunts, feeding bans and similar restrictions.
In North Dakota, CWD had been confined to deer hunting Unit 3F2 in the far southwest part of the state, where testing already has found two more initial positives this year, Williams said.

North Dakota's first CWD case was confirmed in 2009, when a mule deer shot by a hunter in 3F2 tested positive. Including this year's two initial positives, that makes 11 cases of CWD in 3F2 and one likely case in 3A1, Williams said.
No surprise
While disappointing, the news of an initial positive in northwest North Dakota isn't a surprise, Williams said. The department has been watching that part of the state since last spring, when a deer just 7 miles across the border in Saskatchewan tested positive; CWD also has been found in neighboring Montana.
During an advisory board meeting Nov. 27 in Fordville, N.D., before news of the initial positive in 3A1, Williams said the department already was considering steps, including a baiting ban, to reduce the risk of CWD in northwest North Dakota because of its proximity to the Saskatchewan case.

North Dakota for years has prohibited baiting in 3F2 and has implemented restrictions on importing whole carcasses of deer, elk or moose from states and provinces where CWD exists; in addition, whole carcasses can't be taken outside 3F2.
The import restrictions include no spinal column or brain matter.
Battling CWD is difficult because the disease isn't caused by a bacteria or virus that eventually runs its course. Instead, CWD is triggered by an abnormal cellular protein called a prion, and once on the landscape, it's there to stay, Williams says.
The prion can be transmitted through feces, saliva, urine and other bodily fluids when deer are drawn into close contact at baiting sites.
"Since we first had CWD on the landscape in 2009, there's been a lot learned and a lot more research, a lot more discussion on CWD the last 10 years in a lot of states," Williams said in an interview before deer season. "And the bottom line is that any of the information that has come out in the last 10 years hasn't been good.
"There's nothing good that gives us a thought process that we need to lessen our restrictions and regulations on CWD."
Changes ahead
Whether additional CWD cases pop up in northwest North Dakota remains to be seen. The department will issue a news release once all of the test results are complete, Williams says, but one thing is for sure: There will be changes.
"We haven't received all the information back yet on all of our tests," he said Friday. "Who knows? There could be some additional ones, too."
Williams said Game and Fish will recommend baiting bans in 3A1 and perhaps adjacent units such as 3A2 and 3A3. Hunters also can expect an import restriction on deer from 3A1, he said. The goal is to keep the number of cases to a minimum.
"Basically, everything points toward being more restrictive on CWD to try and do our best job in making sure we're fulfilling our responsibility in protecting North Dakota's deer herd as best we can," Williams said. "And obviously, we need help from the sporting public to do that."

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member

Brad Dokken: Mule deer buck initially tests positive for chronic wasting disease in northwest N.D., Game and Fish Department says

By Brad Dokken Today at 9:43 a.m.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebook
3Share to TwitterTwitter
Share to RedditReddit
Share to EmailEmail

Share to Copy LinkCopy Link

arrow-next.png
arrow-back.png
1OXeRbSWEquriSHAMVDob573uuVck6ijG.jpg
image-info.png
A mule deer buck (not the one pictured) has initially tested positive for chronic wasting disease in Unit 3A1 of northwest North Dakota. If confirmed as expected, the finding will mark the first case of CWD outside Unit 3F2 of southwest North Dakota, the Game and Fish Department says. (Photo/ Ty Stockton, North Dakota Game and Fish Department)1 / 3
1l40VFkyT2mIH-Ts5ug8M2A6aawY-Ymcu.jpg
image-info.png
The initial positive case of chronic wasting disease in a mule deer buck was found in Unit 3A1 in the far northwest corner of the state. (North Dakota Game and Fish Department)2 / 3
1le4ov97_rQLWzFm-FE84XCG875DqnTTn.jpg
image-info.png
3 / 3

Chronic wasting disease has been in the news again this week with the report that a deer in Houston County in far southeast Minnesota tested "presumptive positive" for the disease.

In a news release Wednesday, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources said confirmation was expected, which will mean the first confirmed case of CWD in Houston County since testing began in 2002.

Now, it appears CWD also is making inroads in North Dakota, where a deer in Unit 3A1 initially has tested positive for the disease.
As in Houston County, the case would be the first for northwest North Dakota.
According to Jeb Williams, wildlife chief for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department in Bismarck, the deer was a mule deer buck shot in the northwest portion of Unit 3A1

As with any initial results that come back positive, a sample from the deer has been sent to a second lab for confirmation, Williams said. Results from that second test aren't yet available, but the department has never had an initial positive come back negative in secondary testing, he said.
"We are operating under the assumption that it is" positive, Williams said Friday.
An acronym that has become all too familiar in recent years, CWD is a brain disease that's fatal to deer, elk and moose. The DNR has been battling pockets of the disease in southeast and central Minnesota for several years with special hunts, feeding bans and similar restrictions.
In North Dakota, CWD had been confined to deer hunting Unit 3F2 in the far southwest part of the state, where testing already has found two more initial positives this year, Williams said.

North Dakota's first CWD case was confirmed in 2009, when a mule deer shot by a hunter in 3F2 tested positive. Including this year's two initial positives, that makes 11 cases of CWD in 3F2 and one likely case in 3A1, Williams said.
No surprise
While disappointing, the news of an initial positive in northwest North Dakota isn't a surprise, Williams said. The department has been watching that part of the state since last spring, when a deer just 7 miles across the border in Saskatchewan tested positive; CWD also has been found in neighboring Montana.
During an advisory board meeting Nov. 27 in Fordville, N.D., before news of the initial positive in 3A1, Williams said the department already was considering steps, including a baiting ban, to reduce the risk of CWD in northwest North Dakota because of its proximity to the Saskatchewan case.

North Dakota for years has prohibited baiting in 3F2 and has implemented restrictions on importing whole carcasses of deer, elk or moose from states and provinces where CWD exists; in addition, whole carcasses can't be taken outside 3F2.
The import restrictions include no spinal column or brain matter.
Battling CWD is difficult because the disease isn't caused by a bacteria or virus that eventually runs its course. Instead, CWD is triggered by an abnormal cellular protein called a prion, and once on the landscape, it's there to stay, Williams says.
The prion can be transmitted through feces, saliva, urine and other bodily fluids when deer are drawn into close contact at baiting sites.
"Since we first had CWD on the landscape in 2009, there's been a lot learned and a lot more research, a lot more discussion on CWD the last 10 years in a lot of states," Williams said in an interview before deer season. "And the bottom line is that any of the information that has come out in the last 10 years hasn't been good.
"There's nothing good that gives us a thought process that we need to lessen our restrictions and regulations on CWD."
Changes ahead
Whether additional CWD cases pop up in northwest North Dakota remains to be seen. The department will issue a news release once all of the test results are complete, Williams says, but one thing is for sure: There will be changes.
"We haven't received all the information back yet on all of our tests," he said Friday. "Who knows? There could be some additional ones, too."
Williams said Game and Fish will recommend baiting bans in 3A1 and perhaps adjacent units such as 3A2 and 3A3. Hunters also can expect an import restriction on deer from 3A1, he said. The goal is to keep the number of cases to a minimum.
"Basically, everything points toward being more restrictive on CWD to try and do our best job in making sure we're fulfilling our responsibility in protecting North Dakota's deer herd as best we can," Williams said. "And obviously, we need help from the sporting public to do that."

Someone please cliff note this. Im not reading it.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is... CWD ain't nothing new. Most likely been around for ages.
But someone with a " degree" studied it and wanted to become famous...

Kinda like All Gore n global warming.
Wouldn't surprise me in 10 years there will be hardly a word about CWD.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is highly likely bucks. but i would bet my next paycheck baiting will be banned in the very near future now. trying to prevent any more spreading.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone found a good bait for mule deer besides maybe an alfalfa field. Maybe if I could grind up some sage. I’ve never had a mule deer come to a bait pile. My area is predominantly white tails but there is mule deer around and I never see them at corn just passing by. I think I was told one time that they can’t digest the corn very well or something like that. Im willing to bet baiting wasn’t the cause of these cases of cwd. It sounds like it’s here to stay. I also don’t understand why they point out it targets mature bucks mainly. I would think a disease of this type wouldn’t be selective. Fear mongering maybe.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I received my deer hunting questionnaire in the mail the other day. The NDGF really needs to learn from a statistician how to properly gather and interpret data with Real numbers. They produce reports and make decisions on numbers that have a huge margin of error.

- - - Updated - - -

Group think is a real thing that is happening at the NDGF.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I guess that bait ban implemented in the SW of ND to stop the spread of CWD isn't stopping anything...........is it??

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what has me confused... the cases are actually in places where baiting is already banned (surrounding states) or useless (mule deer). So, i have trouble following this thought process. Not that a ban might not help slow down the spread. Hard to say. But, it clearly isn't the primary mechanism of spreading the prion.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I assume CWD will kill a deer in time.
I assume if one has been found to have it others in the area have it.
I will buy into the statement that it can be spread by salvia as deer eat, be it a small grain pile put by a person, food plots or by the hay yard in the rancher yard ect. Deer herd up and the herd will all eat together be it whatever they are eating on.

How many deer will die if it is found in a area from the disease? 90%, 10% which is less than what are kill illegal in my area? What % of deer die in areas where CWD has been a big issue? The question has been asked by others on here.
I know what it is like to find bang's disease in ones cow herd, same when the vet said there is anthrax in the cow herd. I know what then happens to fix the problem.
In north west Minnesota a few years back they began killing deer as some cowboy brought rodeo stock from down south. How that turn out? I believe not one dead deer tested positive for the problem.
CWD is a concern as is anything killing off the wildlife be it hard winters, lack of food, coyotes or whatever.

I just feel we need to stop for a minute, have a better understanding of just what we are dealing with, discuss it and bring some common sense into the solution (I do not have a lot of faith in game and fish). Sometimes the cure can be worse than the disease with the end results. No food grown or given out for deer anymore. What effect will that have on the wildlife? DB

Last edited:

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
A perspective from an area where it is prevalent. (Wisc) About 50% and climbing of bucks have it. 2 years from infection to death. It will be a lot harder to grow large bucks, if that is what you are into. At some point affecting the overall population? I don't want to see thing become like that. Wisc. started to cull the herd in that area, but got overrode by the politicians and public opinion. Like the guy implied in the article, you would not look at deer hunting the same way again.

https://madison.com/ct/news/local/e...cle_fdd10051-8542-577c-84ed-81d83335cced.html

I would not eat an infected deer and definitely would not give it to kids. It would be a horrible way to go if a human became infected.

So far it ND just the one area is infected as far as I know. Maybe the baiting ban has helped. We can try to slow the spread as much as possible. Going back to doing nothing is always an option.

Another article: https://madison.com/ct/news/local/c...icle_7d7dfdc4-3714-513e-bf36-633f1c982c44.htm

- - - Updated - - -

The interesting Joe Rogan podcast on CWD. Linked to on here a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3s6p2UP57Q

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This new finding in 3A1 will no doubt put the end to baiting next year I would guess. G&F want to stop it anyway is what I understand. This will be their reason now. And it won't be all bad probably. Herd can grow quicker. But that will probably lead to more getting CWD. Kind of a vicious cycle.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha ban the baiting. So when that happens do the piles left from machines and dryers become illegal? Good luck banning baiting in ND.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How about the food plots, and how in the hell are they going to stop deer from herding up in the winter, to many Space Cadets out there

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82