Rangefinder Binoculars

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been thinking about getting a pair of rangefinder binoculars and just curious to see what anyone else is using. My buddy has a pair of Swarovski ones that are awesome but a bit out of my price range at the moment. Any on here have the Vortex or Sig ones? Thanks for any info.

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a pair of Vortex last fall and I really like them. I have other Vortex glass, so I guess you could say I'm a fan, but the clarity is pretty decent and the ability to range from the binoculars is really convenient. I was playing around with my binoculars shortly after I bought them while out watching deer. I ended up being able to hit a neighbors barn that was 4400 yards away.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call Cameraland NY for Leica demos. You'll pay just a bit more than new Sig, Vortex, or Nikon but have SIGNIFICANTLY better optical performance.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
Call Cameraland NY for Leica demos. You'll pay just a bit more than new Sig, Vortex, or Nikon but have SIGNIFICANTLY better optical performance.

^^^This. While I'm not familiar with the Leica, or any RF binos, I can attest to CameralandNY's customer service and pricing. Give them a call and discuss your needs and budget. They will provide knowledgeable advice and can be flexible on pricing over the phone.

KiYi

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Leica Geovids 10x42s. Absolutely love them. I think I paid $1,750 but I believe you can find them for $1,500. I wouldn't even consider Bushnell, Vortex, Nikon, etc for $500 less. I am on my 4th year with them and they are as good as new. I am hard on my equipment too.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
leica are superior to all the other ones I have looked through and used. Bushnell, vortex, Nikon, Athlon all get the job done at their perspective price points but by far the HD-B leicas are my favorite. I haven't messed with the swaro's much. If you don't have a set get any of the lesser brands, after you do that and realize how often you use them within 5 years you will be wanting to upgrade. Biggest thing is just using them enough to justify quality and price. You will be more than happy with the other brands as long as you don't touch a pair of the good ones.;:;rofl

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother has the Leica HD-B 3000, and the optics in them are top tier. However, I have the SIGs at less than half price, and to my eye, the glass is very good, and the rangefinder is incredible. I have no problem ranging anything at much farther distances than I can shoot. I ranged a fish house at over 4,000 yards hand-held.

Also, +1 for Cameraland. They're good people.

Last edited:

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you guys for all the responses. I've watched Cameralands sight but never called and talked to them but definitely will now. I'm not as concerned with the glass as I am the range finding capabilities as I'm currently using some older Nikon Monarch binos and Leupold RX-IV rangefinder. In my opinion they're both marginal so anything will be an upgrade. I will definitely look at the demo Leica option.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had about all the handheld rangefinders and always struggled especially coyotes in the snow. I am now using the Athlon Cronus Rangefinding binoculars and love them! Leica has had the market but I know Sig and everybody else has jumped in and all of them would be great. They range way beyond my capabilities and the fact I can range coyotes in snow is my favorite part and helped me make a back to back 536 yard shot on a coyote this year.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm on my second pair of Leica HDB's, not all that impressed but wanted the best and there's better stuff out there. They have a blue hue that takes some getting used to, my Swaro EL's and Zeiss classics are clearer IMO. The rangefinder under optimal conditions will range out to over a mile but who cares, I want to range a rockpile at noon on a sunny day in the snow, not happening without wearing out the rangefinder button. Bright sunlight screws these up, don't even try it with a little humidity in the air but they range very good at happy hour (dawn & dusk). The eyecups are fragile as hell, both of mine are cracked right now and sometimes come off. Yes, they give you a ballistic solution but I don't trust it, it gets you in the ballpark but I still use a range card that has been validated many times over. The rangefinding square that you see and aim to get a range is huge, these are 10x and it should be smaller to be precise at longer ranges, you can hit three hills at one time with the size of the aiming square inside. Not a Leica hater, I have two other Leica rangefinders and I'm on my second pair of these, I use them everyday and I expected them to be way better. Still looking for something else.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've owned Binoc/LRF combo units from Leica, Zeiss, and Swaro.

Leica has the fastest LRF with the easiest targeting window to ensure you're ranging your target (It's a smaller lit square than Swaro or Zeiss). The Leica HD-B is an optical tie with the new Swaro units.

Zeiss's older 45MM units had a very large circle for ranging that I thought was not very precise. They are an optical step up from 1st gen non- HD Leicas. I haven't had their newest model in my hands.

I currently own an 8x42 Swaro EL-Range it is the most compact of the 3 but they all weigh about the same (32-35oz). They are an optical tie w/Leica HD-B (I owned them both for several months before I sold the Leicas to a friend). I don't have any trouble ranging critters with them, but, if I was magic, I'd reduce the size of the targeting circle.

I use the Swaro over the Leica for 1 reason only. The Swaro allows me to see an output that shows true distance as well as angle compensated distance. This allows me to look @ my table on my rifle, dial the elevation required (angle compensated) and then hold correctly for windage (true distance). Every time I range I see 2 ranges. You always dial elevation for the short output and always hold wind for the longer.

Leica and Zeiss require you to choose or create a ballistic curve for your rifle in order to get compensated outputs. That's fine, if you always use the same rifle. If you don't, you're able to create or choose different ballistic curves, but, you have to make sure you're using the correct curve for the rifle you have in-hand. IIRC, when they spit out an angle compensated distance, there's also a wind hold based on actual distance, the onboard processor does that for you.

I used a set of Vortex for a weekend of shooting summer of '18. I wouldn't buy a set purely based upon sub-par optics. The LRF worked just fine but optically they compared with binocs in the $200-$300 range. $900-$1200 is a lot of $$ to pay for something that's got a very mediocre view IMO. I've only looked through Nikon's in the store and IMO they had similar optical performance to Vortex. I haven't handled a set of Athlon nor Sig.

USMC DI, none of the above was directed at you specifically, I think we were typing @ the same time. Also, none of the Binoc/LRF combo units have the optical performance of top-end Alpha pure binocs.

Last edited:

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are those the ones you let me look through @ DL last summer? Pretty sure I could see Canada with those?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are those the ones you let me look through @ DL last summer? Pretty sure I could see Canada with those?

They’re better than just seeing to Canada. I can see Jupiter’s mons with them on clear nights.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone make like a smaller 8x32 rangefinder binocular?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
If someone could put a Sig Kilo 2400 ABS RF into a pair of Swaro 12x50 ELs, I might consider another combo unit (for rifle hunting only).
If archery is on your agenda, I can't recommend a combo unit at all, IME.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
The VAST majority of guys that " think" they need a rangefinder are kidding themselves.

Most modern cartridge are 300-350 yards max rounds without holdover.
Few will ever benefit a rangefinder, FACT!
But they are " cool";:;popcorn

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The VAST majority of guys that " think" they need a rangefinder are kidding themselves.

Most modern cartridge are 300-350 yards max rounds without holdover.
Few will ever benefit a rangefinder, FACT!
But they are " cool";:;popcorn

that’s not really true. We have a range in mobridge that goes to a mile that is in use quite often. I have personally witnessed 10 big game animals killed at 600 or farther.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 185
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84