Piping Mississippi River water west

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that pronounced the same as goalie? If so, I have some hockey playing friends that are going to enjoy this. if they didn't already know the term...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ghoulie, I would think would be the correct spelling.

Goo' Lee

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
ghoulie........... Prob just dumb cannucks that cant say ghoul right............. same goes for the words out and against\

Definition of ghoul

1: a legendary evil being that robs graves and feeds on corpses

2: one suggestive of a ghoulespecially : one who shows morbid interest in things considered shocking or repulsive

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

While I can understand and sympathize with the idiot, the bottom line is U.S. Federal Marshalls, the FBI, and local law enforcement take a very dim view of dynamiting federal projects. And let's not forget that a coalition of Califukyourself and other states in the desert southwest are politically very powerful.

Truth be told, I'd rather give those bastards a water supply rather than seeing them export their shitty political views to the relatively conservative midwest and Great Plains regions of the country.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.y...n-plants-not-mississippi-river-120020371.html
Tell me what you think of this article claiming that desalination is the key to the water crisis in the south west.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesc...ssing-need-for-nuclear-power/?sh=2c4ab7b7fdea
What about this idea of using nuclear powered desalination plant

The guy is not very well connected with reality. Desalination is a great tool in the providing of fresh water to people, but last time I checked Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming are too damn far from an ocean to provide drinking water. What is one going to do, pump water from the ocean over to Las Vegas to have them run it through a desal plant? Not likely, what would they do with the brine? Either way you are pumping water, might as well do it with fresh water rather than do it with saltwater.

I get it, people are peculiarly attached to water. IMHO, it is still just another resource and we've already proven we will do whatever we need to do to get resources to the people that need it...regardless of where they live. It's not like people in Nantucket or Connecticut go cold in the winter.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple who work at the company I work for come up here from Arizona every year and they have seen huge greenhouses with automated racks for plants that rotate up and down on a big wheel. We have been discussing this at work and told them my idea of indoor greenhouse the size of the Boeing assembly plant in Washington state. Huge glass buildings where water is contained in an enclosed environment no more wasted water. I have been reading comments from other sites and the main consensus is that farming is the biggest user of water also another area that is talked about is building huge aquifers that hold water during the wet seasons, just like what Allen said desalination plants are not cost effective over large areas away from the ocean. They say people have been talking about cycles of wet to dry for years it's different becuase of the sheer number of people and the expansion of farming in California and neighboring states.
He said that where he is from a small town near Mesa that he will take pictures of the greenhouses and send them to me this winter or better yet I should come down and see them for myself.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if they are still operational, but there used to be some operations in ND that used greenhouses for growing tomatoes and other veggies.

Agriculture is indeed a huge water demand down in our southwest, but it's also a tremendously important part of our food supply. I've been down through the area and while it seems weird to all of a sudden come across large parcels of irrigated cropland in the desert, after I thought it over for a while it started to make sense in how we can use those areas for production basically 12 months out of the year. We sure can't do that up here, or many other places in this country. Well, we could in southern Florida and Texas, but those areas already have their own crops and problems. So in reality, any cutback in veggie production in California would most likely be made up using imports from Latin and South America.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't a greenhouses a better viable option in the long run, production of crops can be made without the worries of diseases. I have read articles online that greenhouses are being used but not on any large scales. It's seems like a no brainer as far as growing vegetables in multi level greenhouses instead of the traditional approach of one crop on a parcel of land. You could even raise bees in these greenhouses since bees/ insects are needed to pollinate some of these crops its a win win. Man I sure wish I money like Bill gates or Elon musk I would look into building huge greenhouses that were self sustainable through green energy and water recycling processes. But nope I just a dreamer

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unlike open cropland, green houses have an initial investment in construction and then long-term maintenance costs that exceed that of ordinary cropland. This will always make greenhouses a losing investment because the ordinary shopper cares way more about price of the commodity than they do the environmental impacts. A tomato from a greenhouse is just always going to cost more than one grown on the back 40.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55