MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy a jiffy propane if you wanna be pissed off every time you go ice fishing

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pro Tip #85:

clean the flights really really well first before anti-ice treatment - this removes the "micro-structure" that's invisible to the eye - but that water can flow into the micro-crevices of - then freeze - helping it bond or get a foothold basically.

idea is to have smoothest surface possible first. then the anti-ice sprays/waxes can form a monolayer over the surface that water can't flow through to get at the little micro-structures - so the ice can't stick

if you've got a bunch of gunk, dead minnow blood/guts, flotsam, etc. forming a hilly micro-landscape then no amount of anti-ice can prevent stickage

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
stuff they sell for snowblowers at Menards.

Or Johnson Paste wax.

- - - Updated - - -

DuPontSnowandIceMenards.jpg

I have some 2X4's to pickup today at menards, is this spray on the shelves there or is it something I should run over to the autoparts store for.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
what do you recommend you treat the flight with there Guy? Brake clean? Acetone? Busch Light?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some 2X4's to pickup today at menards, is this spray on the shelves there or is it something I should run over to the autoparts store for.

I've always seen it on the shelves near the snow shovel, snowblowers, ice removal tool section. By the "yard tools", chain saws, mower parts, yadda.

- - - Updated - - -

this and a scrubber pad
pDGC1-12184684v380.jpg

409 is JUNK :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

just kidding... just scrub it clean somehow a couple times a year between anti-ice products

especially the gnarly parts and cross-braces etc. down at the cutter end - that are impossible to de-ice once they get iced up

- - - Updated - - -

not kidding about 409 though

sort of like Spin Blend being 10x the product that Miracle Whip is :;:smokin

- - - Updated - - -

dude - get over there!

Menards web site says store in Dickinson has 23 cans in stock - on clearance! It's being discontinued!!!! $3/can.

Store Availability

Discontinued Item
23 Clearance at DICKINSON

probably something to do with that penile shrinkage lawsuit

I contend that it's the cold temps that's causing it for the users but who am I to judge?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some kid was selling industrial strength cleaner door to door about 5 years ago, he was able to take the rust out of my concrete, bugs off the front of my car, even the well water marks left by the sprinkler system. I bought a gallon of it for $85.00. you mix it 1/3 t0 2/3's water. stuff is the shit, still have a half gallon of it left. Hope he comes by again sometime in the next few years, as I don't know where else you could find the stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

I've always seen it on the shelves near the snow shovel, snowblowers, ice removal tool section. By the "yard tools", chain saws, mower parts, yadda.

- - - Updated - - -

this and a scrubber pad
pDGC1-12184684v380.jpg

409 is JUNK :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

just kidding... just scrub it clean somehow a couple times a year between anti-ice products

especially the gnarly parts and cross-braces etc. down at the cutter end - that are impossible to de-ice once they get iced up

- - - Updated - - -

not kidding about 409 though

sort of like Spin Blend being 10x the product that Miracle Whip is :;:smokin

- - - Updated - - -

dude - get over there!

Menards web site says store in Dickinson has 23 cans in stock - on clearance! It's being discontinued!!!! $3/can.

Store Availability

Discontinued Item
23 Clearance at DICKINSON

probably something to do with that penile shrinkage lawsuit

I contend that it's the cold temps that's causing it for the users but who am I to judge?

I will be picking up all 23 cans, and they will be available for resale in the near future for $10 a can.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some kid was selling industrial strength cleaner door to door about 5 years ago, he was able to take the rust out of my concrete, bugs off the front of my car, even the well water marks left by the sprinkler system. I bought a gallon of it for $85.00. you mix it 1/3 t0 2/3's water. stuff is the shit, still have a half gallon of it left. Hope he comes by again sometime in the next few years, as I don't know where else you could find the stuff.

ha ha ha - I think galwhofishe's dad bought some last year and now we got 1/2 of it. ProTek or some such right?

I think it's rebottled Fantastik.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.protekchemical.com/

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am still running the Jiffy I bought back in 1987 and it still drills holes, many a seasons I have wished it would die so I had a excuse to but a new one but as long as it works can't get myself to get another. I probably don't ice fish as much as a lot of you so money better spent in other areas for me. To many other hobbies.
dukgnfsn

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used regular silicone spray lubricant on snowblower chute and such to prevent/limit snow and ice buildup and it helps. Have not yet tried it on an ice auger though.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
All this ice auger talk makes me happy in the face part of my head.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2yo strikemaster magnum and it sucks, quits after running for a while and you gotta let it set for 30 minutes before you can even think about starting it again.... My old jiffy wouldnt run without feathering the gas, but at least it would restart when it died!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
20151125_120942_resized.jpg

Only found 5 bottles on the shelf at Menards 20151125_120942_resized.jpgtoday, so I picked them all up. the chick at the till said, must be some good stuff, I said they don't call me stubby for nothing...haha

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have found that eskimo and tanaka poweheads are the best for starting in the cold. They also have high rpm's for fast drilling. Couple one of those powerheads with a kluge drill and you will have a setup that is fast and reliable. The cheapest route is the eskimo z51 and a kluge 8.5 inch drill. His extensions also are threaded and do not wobble. When the ice gets super thick those drills will outshine all others by a large margin.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
81loQeN9wbL._SY355_.jpg
If you don't plan on using much this is the best, also if you have been flooding the auger put in a new spark plug.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82