2 cycle question

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know if a vertical shaft 2 cycle engine will run ok in the horizontal position as long as you modify the fuel tank so it gets gas ? Say like a model 30 jiffy , Assuming the carb and the plug were still horizontal but tipped on the side . ?? I tried to try it but I have one of those beasts that don't wanna run good till it gets warmed up and with the fuel tank situation it was hard to tell.

fishn4fun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe as long as a 2 cycle motor is able to get gas it will run in any position. The lubrication comes from the gas/oil mix circulating in the crankcase before entering the cylinder. I could be wrong though.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
All depends on what type of carburetor is on it besides the fuel tank, not all 2 stroke carburators are made for multi position use.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if there is a float bowl in the carb your probably screwed. otherwise it would work fine I would believe.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My jiffy idles fine on its side as long as the tank us up top. Jiffy doesn't have a float in the carb.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I start my strike master on its side on the ice when I have the extension on. I usually will leave it sit like that for a minute before I pick it up to drill.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I start my strike master on its side on the ice when I have the extension on. I usually will leave it sit like that for a minute before I pick it up to drill.

2-stroke or the honda 4-stroke? I have a SM 2-stroke and would love to start it then lay it down to warm up while I set up my house. Was always afraid that it would blow up or something...

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
2-stroke or the honda 4-stroke? I have a SM 2-stroke and would love to start it then lay it down to warm up while I set up my house. Was always afraid that it would blow up or something...

My old Strikemaster with Tecumseh wouldn't run laying down, it would just quit. Not sure about the Solo's. The Honda purrs like a kitten in any position.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the response , I have 2 identical jiffys , One won't run worth a hoot horizontal so I finally tried the other one and it ran just fine . The one that won't probably needs a tune up, As far as I can remember it's still the original from 1982.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member

Mine is a 2 stroke. 4 stroke will be coming next year I'm due for a upgrade.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 85
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31