2 person ladder stands

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My daughter wants to start bow hunting so I'm in need of a 2 person ladder stand. I like the guide gear double rail stand right now, but also have a couple big game stands and gorrilla stands on the table. Looking to stay under 200 bucks, with safety and stability topping the list of required traits. Anybody bow hunt out of one of these things that would be willing to share their thoughts and experiences. Thanks Guys!!!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would add comfort to list of priorities. Hard enough to sit still in those things without your ass going numb.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha!! Yeah, I plan on doubling the padding on both the backrest and the buttrest upon acquisition. 12 year olds aren't known for their ability to sit STILL!!!!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh yah. I get it. Tried those tiny steel seats with just a cushion under me for years and only a little platform to stand on. Never again. Life is too short for miserable hunting.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the biggest you can find. Most 2 person stands won't comfortably hold 2 people. But, I guess if #2 is a 80lb 12 year old female, they might do the trick.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure u get her a good comfortable harness also. I have a hunters safety system vest and really like it. Has pockets in it and I can also get to my jacket pockets if need be also.

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big game Spector LS4900 has a very large platform that would be good for the two of you. 17' high would be perfect for the spot too

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big game Spector LS4900 has a very large platform that would be good for the two of you. 17' high would be perfect for the spot too

HaHaHa!!! Just so happened I have had that very stand specs and reviews open right now!!! Yep!! I like that one too. How much of a difference is having a double rail vs. a single rail ladder?? 'Bout the only significant difference between the BG and the GG.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
When my son first started I had two double stands I put up. One was very similar to the rivers edge bowman, the other was a more traditional stand as it was straight across. I much preferred the bowman type that wraps around the tree a bit. I was able to get behind my son easier and talk him through the shot vs the straighter stands where you are more side by side. A side by side may work fine as long as it's fairly deep. I just wanted to make sure I was able to stay close and offer guidance.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks CJR!!! I looked at the wrap around stands, but they didn't offer good back support as most of them use the tree to lean up against. I'm not sure my daughter would be comfortable sitting up against a tree instead of padded back support. The other issue is that I'm looking for a very wide foot base for not only safety sake, but to give my daughter a sense of security as her feet won't be close to the edge or hang over. Maybe I'm over thinking this. I just want to make her experience as good as possible.

campcook

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 3 Big Game 2 man ladder stands and 3 gorilla 2 man ladder stands. I like the Big Game as it has more room and I'm a big guy. I have no problem sitting with a mentor, plenty of room with both. I skirt the stand with camo to conceal the fidgiting of youngsters.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Campcook, what do you use or what would you recommend as a skirt? I was going to use burlap, but that is a once a year kind of thing as I have overactive squirrels in the area. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks!!!

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Campcook, what do you use or what would you recommend as a skirt? I was going to use burlap, but that is a once a year kind of thing as I have overactive squirrels in the area. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks!!!

I used some old Desert Storm cammie netting that I acquired, works really nice and is still in good shape after 3 years. Burlap lasted a year and was shot, squirrels tore it up. They haven't messed with the cammie netting yet, as I was seeding wheat the other day I drove by a few of the stands on my land and they still look fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me know what you decide on as my 12 year old is ready to venture out on his own this year, I got spoiled hunting with him in our mobile castle! Gen 2 is in the works after I'm done seeding, going to make one that you can lower with cables and pulleys, gets kind of hairy pulling that thing around badger holes and sprayer ruts.

! image.jpg

campcook

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the camo burlap sold at Menards. I do replace yearly. Weather and wind have them shredded. BTW have you noticed the number of bucks still wearing antlers? I pulled a chip last week and had 8 different bucks still horned up. The herd looks to be in great shape. Should see lots of nice racks this fall.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went with the Guide Gear Double Rail 17.5 ft 2 person stand due to the increased stability with the double rail. We will see how well it works out when it gets here and I put it up. Should be interesting!!

7mmshooter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My double stands work fine with rifle but bow hunting with 2 people would be tough. Not sure what brands. I'm going more ground blinds and shooting houses for the kids. Prolly start building permanent ground blinds.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I was thinking of that 7, but this stand is more for her youth rifle hunts and then to sit with and get the feel for bow hunting. She's taken both her deer from elevated blinds with her rifle, so she knows how that goes. If she gets more into bow hunting, this double stand will make it more comfortable for her when she's by herself. At least that is how I see it in my own little mind.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31