2015 Salmon season

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious if anyone's been having any luck with down riggers on sakakawea yet for salmon this year? Looking at getting out this weekend and starting my season off, figured I'd start at dead mans and work that area.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught my first one ever 2 weeks ago trolling in 130 fr and the salmon were around 60 ft down.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info, I'll post back after I get out, only my second year with down riggers and I've got the itch, just gotta pick my days since I'm running them off of a 16'r lol

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm planning on going out and trying tomorrow morning. I've never fished Sak for salmon before, but i have spent a lot of time out on Lake Michigan over the years. Hopefully the tactics are fairly similar. Will report back what happens.

Edit:What worries me is, I've been told that there are a lot of sunken trees down there, and it's easy to snag your downrigger balls in them. Going to start out near the intake as that area should be relatively tree free.

Last edited:

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've dragged mine SEVERAL times last year, anywhere from mallard to emergency gates and never had an issue, yet??!

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
well, maybe my dad was mistaken then. He hasn't fished out here since the early 80's after all.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
well this morning was a bust, didn't even get a release. I mean i didn't expect more than 1-2 hits, but it was the dead sea out there. Didn't even mark any fish.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was out as well, on the water at 5-1030, only taker was a 26" eye down 45' on #9 glass white husky jerk

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are two trees that are just off of the Riverdale bluffs, about 200 yds before you get to the spill way, in about 80-90' of water. You may or may not be able to see it on the graph, but when they opened the gates 2011 the current may have taken them out. I haven't salmon fished since the flood, but this is from personal experience.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75