Sak Beulah area fishing?

Runner

Anyone know if the fishing is solid in this area yet this year or if it’s still a couple weeks out. Heading out fishing tomorrow from Dickinson and I kind of want to avoid the oil patch traffic as well as supposed to be solid 10-15 winds with gusts in the 20’s. Just started fishing this year but I’m thinking the east west part of the lake should be smoother? I’ve had good luck this year up by new town, skunk and McKenzie. Have never been to the Beulah area.

Anyone know if the fishing is solid in this area yet this year or if it’s still a couple weeks out. Heading out fishing tomorrow from Dickinson and I kind of want to avoid the oil patch traffic as well as supposed to be solid 10-15 winds with gusts in the 20’s. Just started fishing this year but I’m thinking the east west part of the lake should be smoother? I’ve had good luck this year up by new town, skunk and McKenzie. Have never been to the Beulah area.
Fishing has been okay in that area this year. Quantity of fish not so much but a lot of quality being caught. Most of the guys I have talked to at the boat ramp have taken the hike to Indian hills or saddle butte, fish have been hot the for the better part of the last month. 30-35 seems to be the depth but we have caught them all the way up into 15-20. That part of the lake usually heats up around the Dakota Classic.

Runner

Alright thanks. Will try to make it to Indian hills if the winds allow. I fish from a sea doo fish pro jet ski so it’s not as good as boats when it gets really choppy out there. It’s 12 feet long and gots the fish finding electronics and live well. Good setup but definitely not as good as a boat would be

NodakEyeGuy

Got a two man limit in about 2.5 hours on Saturday on the north shore around Nishu...anywhere from 24-32'...crawlers and crankbaits on leadcore were both effective!

Muleybuck

Son n Law, daughter, & grandson caught 2 yesterday and wished that they had drove to Indian Hills instead. Winds this week will not be friendly to a 12' boat. Research Beaver Bay Boat Ramp at the Beaver Bay Campground on Beaver Creek Bay Rd, Zap, ND 58580. It is just west of Beulah. That bay holds fish and maybe more suited to your boat. Just saying.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you stay inside the bay you're probably fine. Usually it's not to bad, but if the wind is just right it can get pretty rocky even inside the bay. Caught 2 yesterday evening right in the bay. I saw two sea doo's leaving the bay and they looked like they were on a mission. Do any good?

Runner

Not a great day. Only got 3 and they were all small, like around 8”. Would’ve thrown them all back but they were all caught in 25-35’ of water and I’m told you need to keep them cause they we'll die. It wouldn’t have bummed me quite as much but tons of nice size fish and the cleaning table, so I suck. Like I said this is my 1st year fishing. Been living out here 12 years but always worked 6 days a week til last summer so never had time to fish til now. Did the south shore from around beaver bay to Dakota water resort where I launched. Definitely choppy out there today. Didn’t dare cross the lake to nishu or Indian

Should have went north to McKenzie or the saddle butte mentioned here. Same hour and a half drive for me and I’ve either caught my limit or 4 every time this summer, was just scared of wind, but it was definitely bad down here too

Last edited:

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Not a great day. Only got 3 and they were all small, like around 8”. Would’ve thrown them all back but they were all caught in 25-35’ of water and I’m told you need to keep them cause they we'll die. It wouldn’t have bummed me quite as much but tons of nice size fish and the cleaning table, so I suck. Like I said this is my 1st year fishing. Been living out here 12 years but always worked 6 days a week til last summer so never had time to fish til now. Did the south shore from around beaver bay to Dakota water resort where I launched. Definitely choppy out there today. Didn’t dare cross the lake to nishu or Indian

Should have went north to McKenzie or the saddle butte mentioned here. Same hour and a half drive for me and I’ve either caught my limit or 4 every time this summer, was just scared of wind, but it was definitely bad down here too
Yeah going to those fish cleaning tables helps me grow in humility

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member

I’ve just come to accept this part of the lake can be a real ass kicker. Usually when you ask at the cleaning station you’ll hear Nishu or somewhere further west. But don’t kid yourself, there are great fish to be caught all over the lake. Wish I could give you more advice than that, but I suck at fishing too. Haha. I fished Beulah Bay again this evening and caught 3 real small ones that are still swimming.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was out in that area for more than a week before and after the 4th. The trip began with consistent weather paralleling the previous summer days. The fishing was pretty dang good. Early mornings were the best. After the cold front moved in (June weather in July) the bite got tougher. Marking fish wasn’t the issue, but finding biting fish in numbers was. If I dropped down on biting fish early, it was too easy. If I found passive fish, the search continued and often the late mornings and early afternoons were a grind. I caught fish in 18-36 FOW during that period. The water rose as well. There was a stick teepee constructed a couple feet above the water line on shore that was in a foot of water a few days later ( this is an estimate noted while driving by). I never fished the same place twice either. I always tried different places looking for the next big fish school and avoided other boats like the plague. Good luck on your next outing………

Runner

think I’m gonna hit up the hale marina in saddle bay next week mentioned earlier here . I’ve had good luck near McKenzie and independence point but never fished in the middle of them and I’ve heard those west slides in between the 2 are supposed to be excellent fishing too. Don’t believe they have a fish cleaning station so I better pick up an inverter for my electric knife so I can power with my car

DakotaGreg

Established Member
I fished near McKenzie yesterday and never saw a fish. Bright clear day with a breeze. Had battery issues and left at 4pm.

Runner

I fished near McKenzie yesterday and never saw a fish. Bright clear day with a breeze. Had battery issues and left at 4pm.
Damn, I guess I’ll make sure I take some beef out of the freezer to defrost before I leave Monday so I have a backup plan when I get home. I actually had no luck there last September in the only attempt I made to the lake, and no luck there a week before Memorial Day, but I got my limit there in about 90 minutes in mid June

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88