.22 Fun

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
CCI short and long CB have the same horsepower; long is more accurate IME. It's shotgun range with a lot less dynamics.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best learning experience I had for shooting was plinking with 22 shorts, longs and long rifle before the old man thought I was old enough to shoot. I'd sneak the old octagon barrel 22 out the door with half a dozen shells at a time so I'd make them count. learned how to shoot Kentucky windage and hold over from a high hill at an old Oldsmobile 200 yards below. It took a long time for it to get there and a long time for the sound to come back and make me grin. The shorts I'd usually get closer and shoot groups , they just left dents in the Oldsmobile and the lead would fall on the ground so I'd find some and make little cannons out of bicycle spokes and spark plugs. I miss the 60s but it was fun while it lasted

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old plugs with threaded screw on thing a ma jigy on the top . pound lead in one end fill the rest with 22 shell powder and screw it on tight for compression fit and heat it with a farmers match. It goes poof. Phase 2 was when I discovered a copper BB would seat better . The first BB was a big mistake. It was at the old wringer washing machine in the basement and it was a loud bang and porcelain flew

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The old plugs with threaded screw on thing a ma jigy on the top . pound lead in one end fill the rest with 22 shell powder and screw it on tight for compression fit and heat it with a farmers match. It goes poof. Phase 2 was when I discovered a copper BB would seat better . The first BB was a big mistake. It was at the old wringer washing machine in the basement and it was a loud bang and porcelain flew
Your up late Davy or early depends how you look at it. You were hell on wheels in your youth I presume. Dad had a couple boxes of 16 ga Peters shotgun shells that I used for target practice with my bb gun until a cousin took a bb to the leg. That had bad recourse. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot myself in the lip with a spark plug and a bb. It was a dentist x ray discovery that made Mom and Dad aware of it and Dad thought that was funny . So the tradition continues, My Boys have hillbilly stories, Some worse than mine. I taught them well.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used powder and BB's from a #6 or 8 shotgun shell. Don't remember which size BB fit. Bend the non-nut end in an oval to make a handle, pour the powder into the long nut end and tamp a lead BB in the open end. Then hold a lighted wooden match under the powder until it got hot enough to explode and ... whaolla (sp) we had a home-made BB pistol.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That must have been a local thing that came out of the hills, I heard it from an old timer who was a lad and I was a little kid at the time. I had to try it . Iv'e mentioned it to a handful of people that are into cannons and neat stuff like that and none had ever heard of it.

Our basement in the old house is fieldstone , I had some older cousins that were on the wild side. They turned off the lights and played hide and seek and shot farmers matches with thread spools and a thick rubber band . They made me sit on the steps but I shot many of them when I got older.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to shoot each other with rubber band guns but the rubber bands were cut out of old car tire inner tubes. They could hurt if you were hit in a sensitive spot!
The same kid that made the bicycle spoke guns also had an old crank telephone that he wired up to nails in the seat of an old wooden chair. When you would sit on the nails and someone would turn the crank you had an electric chair!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We used to shoot each other with rubber band guns but the rubber bands were cut out of old car tire inner tubes. They could hurt if you were hit in a sensitive spot!
The same kid that made the bicycle spoke guns also had an old crank telephone that he wired up to nails in the seat of an old wooden chair. When you would sit on the nails and someone would turn the crank you had an electric chair!
Sandune Saloon McLeod ND the old owner Johnny had one wired up in the bars counter top on the West end. The top of the bar was penny's covered in liquid plastic so the ends of the wires were hard to see. Many a person did the Sandune Shuffle and it was always funny. John really liked getting a local that forgot where the wires were. LB

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sandune Saloon McLeod ND the old owner Johnny had one wired up in the bars counter top on the West end. The top of the bar was penny's covered in liquid plastic so the ends of the wires were hard to see. Many a person did the Sandune Shuffle and it was always funny. John really liked getting a local that forgot where the wires were. LB
Got me with that one years ago. I remember they had 2 nickels on the counter and told me to put a finger on each one. Gave it a crank and got a good jump out of me.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lot of hell Rasing went on in that bar back in my beer drinking days. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87