3.0L Duramax Turbo Diesel

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not to high jack this thread but....I have never owned a diesel but it has crossed my mind. My concern is the cold weather. Can you leave a diesel such as this 3.0l outside in ND weather in the winter for days..let's say 3 days or more straight in -40 temps not plugging in to any electric and then start them up no problem or would there be issues?

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a ford 6.7 and have never had a problem starting in the winter. I plug in at home so I warm up a little quicker but it sits at work for 10+ hrs unplugged. Never had a issue.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to high jack this thread but....I have never owned a diesel but it has crossed my mind. My concern is the cold weather. Can you leave a diesel such as this 3.0l outside in ND weather in the winter for days..let's say 3 days or more straight in -40 temps not plugging in to any electric and then start them up no problem or would there be issues?

I would worry more about having the right fuel blend in the tank, a good battery, the bra installed on the grill, and allowing time for the vehicle to warm up on cold days more than anything else. I don’t know a single person with the 3.0 duramax that have had complaints.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

My Ford 6.4 L has never failed to start.

It may sound like hell at -40 Fahrenheit, but she starts.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend has has one and one morning there were two other gas pickups sitting next to his 3.0 that wouldn’t start. His actuality was the one of three that started. The new glow plug systems are incredible.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 15 yrs ago went to Mexico first part of January. Left Duramax sit at Fargo airport while gone. We monitored temps occasionally, nights here were -35° as that week was highs of -10°. Was worried about it starting when got back. Was pretty stiff but it cracked off. Had straight #1 fuel in with Howe's for some extra lube.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for comments / feedback on 3.0 L Duramax! Purchased 2023 Sierra in August and have approx 2k miles so far. Average mileage from time of purchase is 28.4. Majority of driving so far is highway at ~80mph. Planning on spending a couple of days on Sak next week so will be interesting to see what towing will do. First time diesel owner other than tractor @ farm. As a Costco member, any concerns regarding using Costco diesel? Costco suggests that their diesel products meet Top Tier standards.
Just make sure you buy your diesel, where they sell lots of diesel.
Always clean the nozzle off before inserting it into your fill spout. Sometimes they are really full of gunk.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would worry more about having the right fuel blend in the tank, a good battery, the bra installed on the grill, and allowing time for the vehicle to warm up on cold days more than anything else. I don’t know a single person with the 3.0 duramax that have had complaints.
The above is correct.

If its cold (0F or below) or is forecast to be soon, I just go straight to #1 with an additive to gain back some lubricity for the pump. I'll give up some power and mileage w/#1 for the security of reliability. I'm over 220K Mi on mine and it doesn't even hiccup @ the cold. I replace the batteries every 4yrs no matter what they show. I run Syn oil too. I suspect your 3.0L 'Max probably requires syn oil anyway.

I know when it's been well below zero I've gotten a "Wait to Start" countdown message on my dash. Never so much as a hiccup once the countdown finishes.

The one time in ~300K Mi of driving diesel pickups I gelled mine up, it was 100% my fault for getting caught by the weather with the wrong fuel. I'd gotten home on a Sunday, didn't check the weather for the following week and got caught w/a tank full of untreated #2 in -20F ambient temps.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only complaint I have with the new diesel is in the winter adding the fuel additives into the no fuel cap openings, you need a funnel. I run #2 year round and dump howes in when it’s cold.
You sure your running no. 2? In October they start blending pumps marked number 2 and don’t necessarily say anything. Number 2 turns to gel at about -20 and will barely come out of the pump

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regarding additives, I use Howes @ farm for tractor when switching to #1. Assuming that is on par with other additives? Thanks for all the feedback relating to Duramax 3.0, fuel, etc!!

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
You sure you’re running no. 2? In October they start blending pumps marked number 2 and don’t necessarily say anything. Number 2 turns to gel at about -20 and will barely come out of the pump
Not sure, only know the pump I try to grab isn’t the straight #1, or winter master pump. You may be right that they blend it.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My Ford 6.4 L has never failed to start.

It may sound like hell at -40 Fahrenheit, but she starts.
I have lived in N.D. and MN my whole life and never see 3 days of -40 let alone one night of -40. You can't count wind chill as it doesn't effect a motor.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have lived in N.D. and MN my whole life and never see 3 days of -40 let alone one night of -40. You can't count wind chill as it doesn't effect a motor.
you must be in southern nd. I have seen -40 at night for more than a few days. windchill only affects skin. it will get metal down to ambient temperature quicker.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Did you just fall off the turnip cart or do I live in the coldest part of North Dakota ?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
#1 is your guarantee. It's no fun at all gelling along the hwy( been there, only took once). The old Power strokes(canister style) were ok for being able to change a fuel filter if needed, but the Duramax was the worst piece of shit design there ever was for fuel filter replacement. Actually had to slide it out thru the wheel well when loosened and if you were lucky you wouldn't rip the wires out for the sensor. -20° along the hwy out would be about impossible. Sure the new ones maybe set up differently.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84