.30-06 & h4350?

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been trying to work up a decent shooting load in my Win. M70 .30-06 using 150 and 165gr bullets on and on for the last 10 or so years using IMR-4064. Haven’t gotten anything to group less than 1” at 100 yards and it drives me crazy. Picked up some H4350 the other day. Has anyone used it with a 150-165gr bullet in .30-06 with success? I’ve tried different seating depths and at least five different primers with no drastic changes. Settled on a 180gr SST for short-ish range hunting for now using IMR-4064. The 150s I’ve been trying to get to shoot are Sierra Pro-Hunters, the 165gr bullets are Sierra GameKings.

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't own one, but H4350 seems like a decent choice for 30-06 and 165gr bullets. I don't think that's the issue.
Have you found any Factory loads that shoot well? If not, it's likely something about the rifle itself (stock bedding, scope mounts, etc), or it's you.
If I can assume your reloading proficiency and shooting form is up to the task, I'd say either the barrel has some bad copper fouling, or never had sub-MOA potential in the first place.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
my m1, 30-06, open sites has never group under 1" for me at 100 yards with factory shells. For me it shoot just fine for why I have that AR with 260 rounds.

When I qualified with the m-14 in basic the shot pattern from 3 shells had to be cover by a nickel at 30 yards before they would let one quit shooting at the target. Must of been my turn for about 2 hours but for some it got dark to end their turn. And it was raining, cold, windy and just another crabby day in boot camp. In fact it rain for 10 straight weeks except when it snow. Glad I did not have to qualify with that pile of crab know as a m-16 in 223. db

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
my m1, 30-06, open sites has never group under 1" for me at 100 yards with factory shells. For me it shoot just fine for why I have that AR with 260 rounds.

When I qualified with the m-14 in basic the shot pattern from 3 shells had to be cover by a nickel at 30 yards before they would let one quit shooting at the target. Must of been my turn for about 2 hours but for some it got dark to end their turn. And it was raining, cold, windy and just another crabby day in boot camp. In fact it rain for 10 straight weeks except when it snow. Glad I did not have to qualify with that pile of crab know as a m-16 in 223. db

:;:deadhorse :;:deadhorse

please, share with us again your hatred for the M-16...........

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kentucky:
When i was in SE Asia i do not believe it once got through the 20 round clip when on full auto and pulling the trigger back until it stop.
Other than that it was fine. Yes, that was not the way we were taught to shoot. But.
And then they said, once it hit the target the bullet would start to tumble making a hole as big as a 30 caliber would.

But i do understand the purpose of the weapon and when the goal was to put as many rounds out without aiming and carrrying a light load it was what it was.
Today some are able to hit the running deer in the head at 750 yards with their 223 AR. So they tell me. However I would still prefer to carry a heavy m-14, with its 308 shell, with a 20 round clip, as in my dreams that I had now and then that I got drafted again and am sent to SE Asia. But I no longer dream that. db

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Something I see fairly often w/M70's is folks over-tighten the middle screw and flex the action. The middle screw should only be barely snug.

What the trigger like on your 30-06? Is the stock bedded? Barrel floated or fully bedded?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kentucky:
When i was in SE Asia i do not believe it once got through the 20 round clip when on full auto and pulling the trigger back until it stop.
Other than that it was fine. Yes, that was not the way we were taught to shoot. But.
And then they said, once it hit the target the bullet would start to tumble making a hole as big as a 30 caliber would.

But i do understand the purpose of the weapon and when the goal was to put as many rounds out without aiming and carrrying a light load it was what it was.
Today some are able to hit the running deer in the head at 750 yards with their 223 AR. So they tell me. However I would still prefer to carry a heavy m-14, with its 308 shell, with a 20 round clip, as in my dreams that I had now and then that I got drafted again and am sent to SE Asia. But I no longer dream that. db

I 100% thank you for your service. I look at it this way: the military let you down sending you into combat with an inferior weapon. The improvements made to that platform are proof today that it is a battle worthy weapon. They just needed to make some improvements.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kentucky:
I belive they started making the AR in the late 1950 and i was there in 69. Have a 222 magnum rifle and I believe there are a lot of off shoots from that bullet which I believe all came from the 222 in earlier 1950. I am sure over the last 50 years they have gotten better and maybe it was me but i did clean it often and did love that rifle as though my life did depend on it.
(side note, I had a slight misunderstanding with some general and they took my m-16 from me, so I sat for the last few months without a weapon if I had not bought a grease gun from a buddy for $50. Always shot well, just not a lot of bullets available for it. So that was fine but then things got serious as they took my R&R away and me a virgin with $600 and going to Bangkok).

However the M-1 and M-14, one could give it a mud bath and it still would work, maybe some to do with the caliber to open and close the bolt after firing. Just would feel a lot better caring that rifle. But they are history and today we have a newer, lighter, ect rifle to go to war with and I am sure the soldiers feel good about there weapon.
But thanks for the thank you. db

By the way I have no ideal how to make your rifle shoot better other than lower your standards. Model 70 IMHO is one if not best weapon made.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kentucky:
I belive they started making the AR in the late 1950 and i was there in 69. Have a 222 magnum rifle and I believe there are a lot of off shoots from that bullet which I believe all came from the 222 in earlier 1950. I am sure over the last 50 years they have gotten better and maybe it was me but i did clean it often and did love that rifle as though my life did depend on it.
(side note, I had a slight misunderstanding with some general and they took my m-16 from me, so I sat for the last few months without a weapon if I had not bought a grease gun from a buddy for $50. Always shot well, just not a lot of bullets available for it. So that was fine but then things got serious as they took my R&R away and me a virgin with $600 and going to Bangkok).

However the M-1 and M-14, one could give it a mud bath and it still would work, maybe some to do with the caliber to open and close the bolt after firing. Just would feel a lot better caring that rifle. But they are history and today we have a newer, lighter, ect rifle to go to war with and I am sure the soldiers feel good about there weapon.
But thanks for the thank you. db

By the way I have no ideal how to make your rifle shoot better other than lower your standards. Model 70 IMHO is one if not best weapon made.

I’d like to hear more about the misunderstanding with the general that led to you getting your weapon taken away.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well i had this vision from a buddy who just came back from R&R from Japan what it would be like with $600 in Bangkok for a week.
When i met him at the landing zone when he came back he had gone through $1,000 but had a robe that he was wearing, transistor radio and memories. And then we all listen to his memories.

So the week before i was to go to Bangkok someone decided to bring a general out to the bush to inspect my 107 artillery piece.
Got the troops ready by telling them to shave and put some clean clothes on. They did the best they were able to do. My corporal was gun ho and spit shine but some look like they came out of a rat hole where they had been bury for the last month.
So i report to the man with the medals on his collar and helmet and things at first went fine. But:

Can one imagine some butt head coming out to the bush were a bunch of society rejects that had gotten drafted were just trying to survive and this butthead telling us how to survive which was fine but then belittering one of my men for telling the butthead he was full of crab and his ideal would harm if not kill us.
Words were said.

And I ended up without a m-16, relieve of my command, he said he would take my stripe away and ship me back home. Ha-ha.
And then one with that single gold bar on his helmet told me i had to spit shine my shoes before nightfall. And i said where in the hell is there even one can of polish in this rat hole call fire base Camp Carroll.
My R&R along with losing my virginity became a vision that I would experience for the next few months as that is when they said I was not going to Bangkok and I became a forgotten man in Northern SE Asia for the next few months.

Then orders came to go home but for whatever reason I was still drinking steel cans of black label (I believe), enjoying my freedom, listening to the pot heads talk stupidly and then some gook put some rounds in on us, medic vac came and so it was time to go home. Clerk said check out your m-16 that next morning. I said I have no ideal were it is but you were there so were is it? He told me I had to pay for it. Ha-ha again.
I said how does one get home from here. He said about 5 miles down the dirt road there is a small airport and a plane should (and yes he said should) come in the afternoon and get on it. Ask for a ride and he said he's to busy.

At Da Nang as I was sitting there I asked a worker how does one get to Bangkok? He said find a military plane going there and hop on. I said how does one get to the city to the south to go home. He said find a plane and hop on. I still had the $600 so it was decision time.

And that I why I have no use for a 223 m-16. db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82