5 lb propane bottles

Bull Herbie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any body know where I can buy a 5 pounder in the Minot area, or even in Bismarck?

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious as to why you want a 5lb. They run about $50 to $60 and I think lowes has them. I'll look in my shop tomorrow but I might have one that I don't use. Not sure if it's 2.5 lb or 5. I haven't used it in so long that I can't remember.

Bull Herbie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I can drive on the ice, I have a 40 and a 20 lb tank I can take. But when I have to drag everything I would rather have a smaller one.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
A 5lb tank would be nice to haul around but would suck to fill after every other trip.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I Think Menards and Runnings both have them. I would get an 11# though. I can get quite a few trips with an 11# and mr heater portable buddy. They make it so much nicer when your dragging all your crap out by hand.

Bull Herbie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys I will take a look at the 11 Pounder and rethink the 5

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up a 5lb tank this fall. I have used it once. It will be a learning experience to find out how many trips I can make. I live to close to a gas station that fills tanks, so it is not a hassle for me. I like that it fits in a 5gal bucket. It is expensive up front for the tank, but it will pay for itself eventually vs using 1lb disposables. I will haul a 20 lb around when I can drive on the ice.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an 11 lber as well. Nice to cut down on weight and not have a bunch of 1 lbers rolling around. Filled it every third trip but that was when I had an uninsulated hub.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:

I have used my 5 lb tank 3 times. Average trip has been 3-3.5 hrs powering a big buddy heater on Medium. I estimate about 1 lb left in the tank. I will fill it prior to using it again to error on the side of caution. IMO, This tank works great early ice when I want to be light and mobile. I do use a 20lb when ice thickness allows for ATV and pickup travel. I would like to look at the 11lb as some have stated but I'm invested in this tank and it does the job.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

I have used my 5 lb tank 3 times. Average trip has been 3-3.5 hrs powering a big buddy heater on Medium. I estimate about 1 lb left in the tank. I will fill it prior to using it again to error on the side of caution. IMO, This tank works great early ice when I want to be light and mobile. I do use a 20lb when ice thickness allows for ATV and pickup travel. I would like to look at the 11lb as some have stated but I'm invested in this tank and it does the job.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Does anyone use these:
RTA_THP-REFILL.jpg

Use a 20lb'er to refill the disposables. I use a big buddy and a 20 lb'er with hose adapter, but I have considered the option of using the disposables and constantly refilling them. (would be a little lighter, and far less cumbersome)

I wonder how many times a guy can refill them. Do they wear out?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone use these:
11180617_919595044746026_5603920148658817536_n.jpg

Use a 20lb'er to refill the disposables. I use a big buddy and a 20 lb'er with hose adapter, but I have considered the option of using the disposables and constantly refilling them. (would be a little lighter, and far less cumbersome)

I wonder how many times a guy can refill them. Do they wear out?

i wouldnt mess with it

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I refill one pound tanks and it works great. Make sure to put the 1lbers in the freezer over night and bring the big tank inside for a day so that it is warm when you start.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holms, are you wanting to fill a cold bottle with warm propane? My father in law refills his and when I told him people blow up garages doing that, he looked at me like I just said mud is icky and I consider computer work manual labor.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 5lb and like it, its good for me for several trips, but I use an insulated hub and dont leave it running all the time. Also I dont go out when its -20, Anything below zero and the PS3/4 is better entertainment. I made the mistake of filling it at LANDERS in Bis last time and got ripped off royally. They have a minimum purchase for propane, which the guy didnt tell me before filling it tank, so I paid about 3x what the propane should have cost...

- - - Updated - - -

I refill one pound tanks and it works great. Make sure to put the 1lbers in the freezer over night and bring the big tank inside for a day so that it is warm when you start.

Im think traveling with the 1lb 'disposable' tanks once they have been refilled is illegal. Would be a hard thing to be nabbed for tho Im guessing.

Found this on another site:
The ubiquitous 1 lb propane cylinder cannot be safely refilled, nor legally transported if refilled (see information from Coleman here PDF file). If emptied properly they can be disposed of with household trash, but, if not, they are usually treated as hazardous waste.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 5 and a 10.

Insulated shelters make them worth considering.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember the last time I took a 20 out. 15 years?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
hazardous waste? if it quits burning what ever device I have it attached to, I assume it to be empty and toss in the receptacle.

Is that properly emptied?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 5 and a 10.

Insulated shelters make them worth considering.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember the last time I took a 20 out. 15 years?

I have a big ol 20 with a propane tree on it, I run my heater, grill, and a lantern on top. I don't even take it out of the ranger. 12ft hose to the heater, 4 foot to the grill which sits on the tail gate, and the lantern on top to light up my area if fishing past dark.

I do bungee strap everything in place in the box to keep it orderly.

Went out yesterday prior to the Vikings loss, caught a couple keepers and didn't have anyone bother me and my buddy Tyler. It was just cold enough to keep the chit chatters, and dumb ass kids from being out ruining my solitude.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 89
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33