50 Things Only ’80s Kids Can Understand

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/50-things-only-80s-kids-can-understand#.el35mA07v

I am a 80's Kid so everything on here I can relate to and life seemed to be easy for a kid in the 80's... no cell phones, no tattle tales, transformers, hi tops with the tongues out, bleached blue jeans, and atari. My mom would tell me to get outside and don't come back till it was dark. We played tackle football, dodge ball with the big red rubber balls, hang on monkey bars play king of the hill type game, merry go rounds (probably not spelled right) 80's kids were tough

enhanced-buzz-27381-1368689132-0.jpg

Mr.Mike

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's Priceless! You're just lucky you grew up in ND. I remember people visiting us from other parts of the country when my kids were growing up, and they thought I was crazy to let them walk over to the park by themselves. Thanks for the great post, brought back a lot of nice memories for me. Still remember when my sons babysitter taught them how to "roll their pants legs". Didn't know if I should fire her or thank her. I ended up letting it go, so Thanks Heather for showing my Boys how to be COOL! ; )

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They left out "Moon boots" , It might have been a North Dakota thing but I remember buying them for our boys and thinking how modern they were compared to the lace up boots, Bread sacks and 4 buckle overshoes that I wore when I was that age.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I graduated in the mid 80's, so I did my running around as a kid in the 70's. When I was in 3rd grade I could go to the movie and walk home after. About a mile walk. I'm sure glad I didn't have an electric leash (phone)!

So how cool was you mullet?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
MTV when it played music videos.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what a kid would think if you pulled out a Polaroid camera?

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
MTV when it played music videos.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what a kid would think if you pulled out a Polaroid camera?

they would think there is a tiny printer in your retro digital camera

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember how big wrestling was in the 80's. We only had one TV in the house and if dad had the remote..which he usually did, then you were either watching wrestling or westerns.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Parachute pants with all the zippers, the pleather Michael Jackson red jacket, smurfs, 4 square, Simon says, erector sets, digity dog toy, aids, jumping jacks fire works, m80s, plastic hot wheels bike with the side break to make spin outs, or break dancing.

I WAS THE REMOTE CONTROL

Porkys the movie
Cheech and chong "up in smoke"

Last edited:

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had me a pair of moon boots! They made me run faster! Ya i was like 9! And I am proud to say that I wore homemade hammerman pants.

I remember going to catch the bus then changing our minds and walking so we could stop at the gas station to fill up on laffy taffy (the little square ones) before school. Bus driver didn't care and parents didn't either. I think I was my sons age (8) when I started walking to school and it was probably twice as far as his is now.

Did anyone shave things in the back of their head? My "cool" cousin talked us into it so I had Nike, Reebok, and a poor attempt of a Michael Jordan!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
When KISS released this garbage in '79 (except for Ace's version of "2000 Man") I felt in my heart the 80's were going to suck for me:
th

Perhaps it was a self fulfilling prophesy; I don't know. I do know I pined for the 70's a lot. The music was being replaced by some weird faggoty shiite. I would hear strange little noisy things like this "Devo" and "Cars". I did have a lot of fun but had a hell of a time finding music that didn't antiquate me at the age of 15 or require me to get on the Satan bandwagon. Van Halen went to shiite in '84 and has since remained. The late 80's were the worst with the Disco instruments being replaced by distorted Hammers and Washburns; played by purposely effeminate males. I'm generalizing here; like I said I had to pick and choose by instinct, radio and "70's adults" as to not waste lawnmower money on garbage (small town West Virginia). I achieved my first victory in '88 (two years Air Force/Ronny Raygun) when Slash brought back the Les Paul. GNR shorty went to shiite and turned to Charles Mansion for inspiration with thankfully little success.

As said before; I DID have fun: THIS freakn' blew my mind in '81:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLBLk4ibAk

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember how big wrestling was in the 80's. We only had one TV in the house and if dad had the remote..which he usually did, then you were either watching wrestling or westerns.

Yep only we had boxing and westerns in our house. They had Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and usually a bigger Saturday night fight on. Saturday morning it seems like wrestling was on, the couch doubled as the "top turn buckle to drop an elbow on someone's solar-plexus".

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When KISS released this garbage in '79 (except for Ace's version of "2000 Man") I felt in my heart the 80's were going to suck for me:
forums

Perhaps it was a self fulfilling prophesy; I don't know. I do know I pined for the 70's a lot. The music was being replaced by some weird faggoty shiite. I would hear strange little noisy things like this "Devo" and "Cars". I did have a lot of fun but had a hell of a time finding music that didn't antiquate me at the age of 15 or require me to get on the Satan bandwagon. Van Halen went to shiite in '84 and has since remained. The late 80's were the worst with the Disco instruments being replaced by distorted Hammers and Washburns; played by purposely effeminate males. I'm generalizing here; like I said I had to pick and choose by instinct, radio and "70's adults" as to not waste lawnmower money on garbage (small town West Virginia). I achieved my first victory in '88 (two years Air Force/Ronny Raygun) when Slash brought back the Les Paul. GNR shorty went to shiite and turned to Charles Mansion for inspiration with thankfully little success.

As said before; I DID have fun: THIS freakn' blew my mind in '81:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLBLk4ibAk

Rush makes me want to projectile vomit the corn on the cob I ate last night. Metallica and iron Maiden pulled me through the hair band era.
early crue had its play time, but poison type la site almost ruined the mid eighties

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76