What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
7mm Rem Mag vs 300 Win Mag
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="lionslayer300winmag" data-source="post: 278720" data-attributes="member: 1529"><p>Another thing to think about is if you'll ever hunt in a area that is lead free. A 300 win mag offers more and heavier grain options in lead free than 7mm. This is just my opinion but a light rifle I think is subject to what caliber its in. Weight has a big factor in recoil as people have pointed out which affects accuracy. A 243 that has a finished weight of 5 and a 1/2 pounds I would consider light and you could still shoot it accurately but maybe not as consistently as one that weighs 8 pounds. A 7 pound 300 win mag is light and can be shot accurately but maybe not as consistent as a 9 pound one. Another consideration is where the weigh savings is coming from. Calibers with a lot of recoil need a strong stock and if the particular rifle you buy saves weigh in the stock that could affect durability in the long run. They could also save weight by using a lighter barrel contour which is going to be less accurate because it isn't as stiff and could burn out quicker if your shooting a fast load through it. They could also use shorter barrels which is going to increase accuracy because it'll be stiffer but will lower your velocity and energy down range. All in all its up to you and everybody looks for something a little different. I have a 300 win mag that weighs 8.5 pounds and want something slightly heavier. The way I look at it is if I add a pound to my rifle I can lose a pound off my body and the total weight I'm carrying all day is the same.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="lionslayer300winmag, post: 278720, member: 1529"] Another thing to think about is if you'll ever hunt in a area that is lead free. A 300 win mag offers more and heavier grain options in lead free than 7mm. This is just my opinion but a light rifle I think is subject to what caliber its in. Weight has a big factor in recoil as people have pointed out which affects accuracy. A 243 that has a finished weight of 5 and a 1/2 pounds I would consider light and you could still shoot it accurately but maybe not as consistently as one that weighs 8 pounds. A 7 pound 300 win mag is light and can be shot accurately but maybe not as consistent as a 9 pound one. Another consideration is where the weigh savings is coming from. Calibers with a lot of recoil need a strong stock and if the particular rifle you buy saves weigh in the stock that could affect durability in the long run. They could also save weight by using a lighter barrel contour which is going to be less accurate because it isn't as stiff and could burn out quicker if your shooting a fast load through it. They could also use shorter barrels which is going to increase accuracy because it'll be stiffer but will lower your velocity and energy down range. All in all its up to you and everybody looks for something a little different. I have a 300 win mag that weighs 8.5 pounds and want something slightly heavier. The way I look at it is if I add a pound to my rifle I can lose a pound off my body and the total weight I'm carrying all day is the same. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Today at 12:26 AM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
7mm Rem Mag vs 300 Win Mag
Top
Bottom