AIM Weekend Walleye Series resumes play

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you wondering about the AIM rules. No fish are allowed in the live well ever or you will be disqualified.

Now for those that think we should just do away with these types of tournaments on their favorite body of water. Should I not be allowed to fish because I rarely keep what I catch? In the event of a badly hooked fish I will, which is rare. Maybe you would prefer that I take my limit home everyday and have more than I can eat?

Just because the NWT was won by catching fish that were out deep doesnt mean that everyone is going to catch fish out deep. Seems a very small percentage of people were even able to put those caliber of fish in the boat.

I know for a fact guys have waved down non tournament boats and given them the fish if it's not going to make it. I have had to do it once myself. You would be kidding yourself if you think tournament anglers don't care about the fish.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i dont think anyone said tournament anglers dont care about fish?

i just find it a bit hypocritical that you see big fish being posted on social media platforms and every single one has comments about throwing it back, let those fish grow up, why did you keep that etc. Now you have a tourament who prides itself on catch and release for future generations. yet deep down every single person knows that the vast majority of fish will be caught deep raising a concern on survival rates. IMP a very legitamate concern. so why is it such a bad idea to ask a few questions to mitagate this? i put my boat in at van hook every wknd. i am use to 200+ boats in a parking lot i could give a dam about more boats on my home neck of the woods. to me its about credibility if your gonna label yourself as a catch and release tournament and then why wouldnt you do things to mitagtae the negative effects of deep water fishing?

honest questions i dont thin anyone here means any offense about it but honest legit questions

- - - Updated - - -

i guess the point i think people are making is how is AIM format if taken from deep water and released any different than a kill tourney?

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just to simplify the whole meaning of their mission is all the fish are put back with the intention of having as little impact on the fishery as possible. Where it is different is some make it, some dont but that is everyday fishing in general. You are however indicating that the fish are going to be pulled from deep water which is not as common as you think. I know quite a few guys that were fishing the NWT that were up shallow. We won the AIM championship last year in August in 13fow or less.

It's never going to be perfect but it's an effort to try and preserve. Maybe rag on the guys pulling from out that deep but not the people holding the event. The comment was made last year by the director about pulling fish from deep water. He asked that thought be put into giving the fish the best chance for survival by not pulling them up to fast or have a way to get them back down safely.

Pedro

Established Member
So the AIM style format is getting blasted for a few fish that may or may not make it, but not a word about the DWC or Governors cup that has a 100% kill rate?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rizzo- I’ll agree with much of what you say.
Pedro- my comments are not meant for Denny( I have never met the guy or participated in an AIM) event. However you can search old forums on this website that say how AIM is the only way to hold tounerys, suggestions that the VHC, governors cup etc should switch to AIM format. I understand these are opinions for anglers and not AIM itself. I’ve read comments where kill tounerys are a thing of the past etc. you get the feelings that AIM anglers look down on kill tourneys and feel there format is better. In this particular scenario there kill rate will prolly be higher other AIM events combine that with the fact they can catch as many fish as they want and there will prolly be more fish that die than many would guess leaving this particular event no better than a kill tourney I guess is my big thing. It seems like a “ feel good thing” in this particular case.
again I have no issues with any tounreys kill or AIM just find it a bit amusing that’s all

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of you boys sure have easily hurt feelings. Nobody blasted the AIM format, in fact I think it’s the best format. Having said that, having a mandatory release tournament presents some legitimate ethical questions when it gets to later warm water and or deep water. The more and more tournaments there are the more people are going to start questioning this stuff. I did see a couple floaters this weekend, were they recreational guys or DWC guys I don’t know. I do know I had to keep a couple 13” that came out of 35-40’.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will write G and F as to how they allow the dates of the tourneys plus the pros in WHITE and BLACK --- fifteen million of them feeding on the new borns (more than i have ever seen on DL)-- why were not stocking the "large" lakes this year with fingerlings that can out swim dem big ole birds.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't tell anyone what to do with their fish unless it was hooked deep or caught in deep water. One more EXCEPTION, The professionals that get in front of a camera and teach everyone how to C & R fish. More often than not they hold the fish for the camera and tell stories too long before they release it. The old rule of thumb is as soon as the fish is out of the water start holding your breath, When it's time for you to breath again it's time to get the fish back in the water.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
80% of fish in lake sakakawea die of natural causes and were worried about the fraction of a percent that die during a tourney?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only fish to fill the freezer they taste good. Cheeks the fresh water scallop

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
80% of fish in lake sakakawea die of natural causes and were worried about the fraction of a percent that die during a tourney?

80%. game and fish quote? Seems high but suppose counting YOY/fingerlings probably spot on.

Last edited:

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
AIM or any catch and release tournament will not have a 100% success rate. We obviously all know that. We also know that catch and kill tournaments kill 100% of the fish that go into the livewell. Its unfair to say catch and kill tourneys kill all fish caught because people throw back unworthy fish. A lot of those throw backs live, some maybe die.

We also know that recreational fishermen will go out and catch and release. They swim away and most probably live, some die. We also know there's those that get the limit and keep on fishing to release and enjoy more fishing. Again, some live, some die.

But personally, catch and release are the best option even if deep, hot water, etc. They don't stand a single chance of living if put in the livewell and taken to stage so that in its own is a win or at the least, a potential win.

I don't have any problem with kill tourneys either honestly. They are managed so they aren't stacked in an area of the lake one after another. I also believe in the grand scheme less fish get killed in a tourney like DWC or Gov Cup then would have on a normal weekend. Most people who fish in a tournament boat (2 people) have their own boats. So on that weekend, they'd both be out in their own boats with most likely at least one other person. So lets just say 2 boats, 4 people (normal weekend). They keep their 40 fish a weekend to cut up. In the two day Gov Cup the 2 anglers can only keep 16 fish. So they spared 24 fish from the knife. In the DWC with same situation, they spared 20 fish from the knife. And when prefishing, I know many anglers (me included) who hardly ever keep ANY fish (too much work after a long day and last thing want to do is clean fish!). So there's a saving on fish killed there too.

But Tim! Tourney guys kill bigger fish! Yeah, sure. But when out fishing for fun, they sparred those same big fish time again. Obviously not everyone does but I can say in my fishing circle most don't keep a single fish over 20 to 22 inches. I personally try not to keep any fish over 20 inches.

So fish away, keep what you want. But at the same time, be selective at times. Toss back a few of the bigger ones and heck, somedays go ahead and toss back everything. We live in North Dakota where Mother Nature dictates everything in the end. But the in-betweens months and years I do believe we can help some. Especially with overall fish age and size. But I've lived through Sak collapses twice now and two mule deer collapses. All the selective harvest in the world couldn't have saved either case. So again, keep what you want but at the same time think about a little conservation.

Word...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93