Alaska

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I made the leap and I'll be leaving the great state of ND for the great state of AK! I'm pretty excited about it. I know this is going to be a pretty broad question but what would you guys consider some gear/items to be essential or just make the experience more enjoyable up in Alaska. General hiking/backpacking gear I think I've got covered. I do need better rain gear for sure if you guys have any suggestions for that. Most of my hunting gear is covered I think but I would like getting into a better pack and a larger caliber rifle (most of mine are small calibers). I do flyfish so my 5 weight rod will be getting a big brother (probably an 8 weight) and I'm going to try and learn more about the offshore fishing when I get up there.
I've never done any hunting bigger than deer here in ND and just looking for some suggestions on some gear that has worked for you guys, whether it be back country hunting/hiking, fishing or just equipment in general that would be nice to have (just thought of maybe a gopro while I was typing this).

Thanks in advance, I can't believe my countdown to moving is just over a week away!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can almost guarantee you that whatever you have now WON'T be what you will have 12 months from now. Alaska is NOTHING like ND in any way. Soggy bogs, permafrost, moss, lichens, rocks, shale, oceans, streams, rapid changes in elevation, and on, and on, and on. Congratulations on moving to an outdoorsman's NIRVANA!! I'm jealous and hope you squeeze every oz of adventure from your decision. Good Luck and Enjoy!!! Look up Lionslayer25 and give him a PM. He's a big game guide up there and trapper specializing in Brown Bear Hunts. He might have a pointer or two for you.

Last edited:

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks KDM! That's kind of what I thought about what I'm bringing up, I'm packing pretty light but trying to bring what I think I would use the most. I couldn't remember his name so I'm glad you were able to mention Lionslayer25, I'll throw him a line shortly.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
He's a solid individual with IMMENSE insights into what you want to do. You won't be disappointed. Unless of course he's stuck on some island trapping foxes for the USDA for the next 3 months. Then he might not be as useful to you. Hope he's available to help.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
What part of Alaska? That's a huge state with widely varying climate and terrain. Where you live could dictate a lot about what you need to bring.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can help with info on SE Alaska. Lived there for a while. travel there on a regular basis. Shoot me a PM

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Founding Member
Founding Member
The job is right in Anchorage, AK. I'll get a fishing license right away as a nonresident but I might wait to do any hunting until next year when I know the area better and get residency. Not sure right now but I know I can't afford guide prices either which I need for a lot of the game up there as a nonresident.

After looking at the non resident licenses/requirements again a hunting license will be happening this year.

Last edited:

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hip and chest waders will be your best friends. Loved every minute during my two years there. Enjoy!

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome you are moving there. Be sure to post some pictures! Alaska fishing/hunting is a bucket list item for me! Someday...

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always wonder how I would handle the winters up there with such little light... I think i would go a little batty..

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A bush plane and a pilot's license would be handy pieces of hunting gear that a guy could get great use out of up there but doesn't need down here too often.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A lot of good ideas so far in here. It looks like a 375 might be in your future too. ;)

DonC

Founding Member
Founding Member
If u are moving there don't worry about it. It will become very obvious when u get there, use what gear others are using. Make friends with people that have your interests. Pick their brains based on their experiences. U are embarking on an opportunity that most only dream about. Make the best of your time and enjoy. :;:thumbsup Alaska has all the big box stores as u have outside. So take your time and get gear locally for what ever kinds of activities u are doing.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking about the same things as 2400. I read a few years ago that the number one rifle carried by guides is a 338 Win Mag. You don't need that for deer, but while your hunting deer something may try put you on the menu. Make it stainless for Alaska.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
A rifle in a caliber that starts with a 4.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also very envious.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A rifle in a caliber that starts with a 4.

Bah!! My Kimber Talkeetna in 375 H&H weighs 9# scoped and shoots 250 TTSX's and 270 TSX's into little knots. It's SS, already has a great synthetic stock, and has a wonderful trigger. In a perfect world it'd come with a sling stud in the stock instead of on the bbl, but that's a 5min fix, and if one is truly lugging it in bear country, I'd cut the bbl back 3-4", but it's a trouble-free turnkey operation outta the gate.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14