All New Mercury 4-Strokes - Just released

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I don't know. But I do know it had been running fine right up until it crapped itself. Probably had 3 hrs on it that day right ahead of the big bang.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was a week before the new Merc was introduced but i have a poll going on a couple different facebook boating groups looking to repower my pontoon with a 250. The results kind of amazed me due to the input from folks all over the country and several boat dealers and marine service centers. The top suggestions are the Evinrude G2 for power and fuel economy and low end torque off the line and an unmatched 10 year warranty with 5 years no service and service centers swear by them as mechanically sound then followed closely by the Suzuki which actually gets the highest praise from everyone as being the most dependable and durable overall 4-stroke engine then yamaha was third but availability is a huge factor due to tooling issues at the factory putting deliveries of new engines many months out depending on model then mercs came in a distant 4th with a few others sprinkled in.

After doing some in depth digging I am leaning hard at going with an Evinrude G2 250.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wild and Free,

What kind of pontoon do you have with a 250 on it? And why the repower, just a lot of hours on it?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wild and Free,

What kind of pontoon do you have with a 250 on it? And why the repower, just a lot of hours on it?

2011 Bennington 22' Triple tube with esp "elliptical" center tube performance package with 60 gallon fuel cell and center tube storage, actually 24' overall length "Bennington does it different, they rate it at 22' but that is actual deck length only not counting the length of tubes and transom" current engine is 2007 Yamaha 150 4 stroke which is the smallest recommended engine for this boat "I bought the engine brand new on a 2007 Benny toon and traded boats but kept the engine and swappped it over to the new one, should have upgraded to an SHO 250 Yammy then but tried to save a dime" . It does well normal cruising but if one wants to do any tubing or hard cornering which the esp tube package will corner like a v-hull boat or any high speed cruising the 150 is very under powered. The boat is actually rated for a 250 on the top end.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahh, that makes sense.

How many hours on the 150, and what would you need for it? I'd love my Fisherman and probably put off shopping for a new fishing boat if it had a 150 on it. I feel the same way about the 115 on it, just feels like it's lacking a little oomph that would make it a whole new experience when the water is calm enough.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahh, that makes sense.

How many hours on the 150, and what would you need for it? I'd love my Fisherman and probably put off shopping for a new fishing boat if it had a 150 on it. I feel the same way about the 115 on it, just feels like it's lacking a little oomph that would make it a whole new experience when the water is calm enough.

Had the dealer hook up and check early last year and it had 460 ish hours so after the season around 500. I sent the ECU to Simon motor sports a few years ago looking for a few extra ponies which it did help in that department a bit but the overall performance was greatly improved. starts and idles smoother especially cold starts and fuel economy went up considerably over stock and the annoying engine stall when shifting into gear or F-N-R change is no more like it did stock as well. best 600 bucks i spent. i think i saved that on fuel since doing it a few years ago. I was talking to the boys at Battery Dr's / mILD TO WILD MOTOR SPORTS in mandan and they said my 150 will easily bring $6K yet.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, with that few of hours, it probably can still command that amount of coin. Which is probably just a little more than I am willing to put into the Lund for the "fun" factor right now.

That annoying little dead spot that kills the engine when switching gears can also be controlled mechanically. River City adjusted my throttle linkage last summer for the same reason. Hasn't been a problem since.

BTW. My apologies to the OP for going down a little rabbit trail here. What can I say, it's what we do around here. :;:huh

Becker

I just ordered a new Merc kicker and it wont be here till probably May. Merc rep says new large 4/stk motors wont be out till fall.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 38