Aluminum Trailers

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to make a jump from a 14' single axel steel trailer to a 18' tandem axel aluminum. Wood or aluminum floor? Wood is cheaper, dent resistant and likely not as slippery when wet/snowy. Aluminum floor would last forever in theory but is more expensive. Use would be for hauling a tracked ranger and a JD 1025 with loader and rear attachment. Stored inside when not used for the most part. Any brands to stay away from? Was looking at H and H but reviews are not great. Aluma is nice but seems out of my price range.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You still in GF area? Me and a couple of friends have bought from the Trailer Connection on Gateway Drive. He is easy to deal with and will accommodate any layout you want.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You still in GF area? Me and a couple of friends have bought from the Trailer Connection on Gateway Drive. He is easy to deal with and will accommodate any layout you want.
I am and I actually checked them out yesterday.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking at trailers recently too, and to me, wood floor is the way to go. If you drop something heavy, or otherwise damage it, it's relatively cheap and easy to fix yourself. Just replace the damaged boards. Not so with metal decking.

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could check out Acme Equipment- they have quite a few trailers on their lot.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have both aluminum and wood / plank deck trailers. Like the aluminum trailer as I can move it around with UTV. Aluminum decking is beyond slippery with snow on boots.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I stained mine with deck stain. The hardest thing on wood is the sun, if you are storing it inside most of the time the wooden deck will last a long time. Aluminum deck will Send your feet above your head when it’s cold and have a skiff of snow on it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking at trailers recently too, and to me, wood floor is the way to go. If you drop something heavy, or otherwise damage it, it's relatively cheap and easy to fix yourself. Just replace the damaged boards. Not so with metal decking.
I bought my wood-deck 14' tandem 3-place snowmobile trailer 20yrs ago. I've replaced the lights w/LED's and that's it. It's been from ND to New Mexico and Northern Alberta and back. It sits outside 100% of the time. I've gotten soft spots in the floor over the last yr or so. At some point, maybe this winter I'll get some new plywood for the floor, probably string all new wiring/loom and replace all the wheel bearings for good measure while the decking is off and the wires/bearings are easier to access and then button everything back up.

It's been a very low-maintenance affair for the last couple decades. Studded-tracked snowmobiles, ATV's, UTV's, chest-freezer and generator, golf carts, riding mower, etc etc etc.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Looking to make a jump from a 14' single axel steel trailer to a 18' tandem axel aluminum. Wood or aluminum floor? Wood is cheaper, dent resistant and likely not as slippery when wet/snowy. Aluminum floor would last forever in theory but is more expensive. Use would be for hauling a tracked ranger and a JD 1025 with loader and rear attachment. Stored inside when not used for the most part. Any brands to stay away from? Was looking at H and H but reviews are not great. Aluma is nice but seems out of my price range.
I too am on the hunt for a trailer- couple questions for you. Is the 14' not long enough for your tracked ranger? I just got a general with tracks and need a trailer to haul it for ice fishing. The two place sled trailer isnt long enough anymore. Was kinda leaning towards a single axel aluminum with wood decking and 14' long.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too am on the hunt for a trailer- couple questions for you. Is the 14' not long enough for your tracked ranger? I just got a general with tracks and need a trailer to haul it for ice fishing. The two place sled trailer isnt long enough anymore. Was kinda leaning towards a single axel aluminum with wood decking and 14' long.
I would get the dual axal, it has many benefits, but the ride is way better, it holds more weight, pulls nicer (doesn't fishtail), and you can legally pull it behind another trailer, such as a camper.

You guys pulling those single axle trailers with your boat on behind the camper are doing it all wrong, and it is illegal, they also have to have breaks of some type on them.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it wasn't for my need to haul a utility tractor I would go with a 14' aluminum. I currently have a 14' steel (big tex) and tracked ranger fits easily. In fact, I pull it all the way forward and have room to wedge my Otter Lodge behind the ranger. Nice not having to wrestle that heavy bitch in the back of the truck.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went enclosed and best thing I ever did, about same price roughly fit tractor, UTV, sleds, classis car, hunting shit, hauling junk etc... and it is all out of weather.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went enclosed and best thing I ever did, about same price roughly fit tractor, UTV, sleds, classis car, hunting shit, hauling junk etc... and it is all out of weather.
I love that idea but I'm not seeing prices comparable to an open trailer. What make/model do you have?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enclosed is awesome, but lordy they pull hard. Ridiculous.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys pulling those single axle trailers with your boat on behind the camper are doing it all wrong, and it is illegal, they also have to have breaks of some type on them.
Nope, when pulling triples, the one hooked up to the pickup is the only one that needs breaks. Have been pulling the boat (single axel) behind the camper for over 15 years and never been stopped or told different.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, when pulling triples, the one hooked up to the pickup is the only one that needs breaks. Have been pulling the boat (single axel) behind the camper for over 15 years and never been stopped or told different.
That's what I thought too , Only law that I know of is camper must be 5th wheel type and not bumper hitch.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, I believe they changed the bumper hitch ruling and added them as long as they are tandem and have brakes. Over the past few years have seen quite few bumper hitched campers pulling trailers some even with huge pontoons behind.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, breaks required on middle unit. 5th wheel or travel trailer.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a steel with wood deck with ramp 14 ft tandem axle trailer. easily hauls a tracked ranger. barely hauls a wheeled ranger and wheeled atv at the same time. Not sure I'd go the aluminum trailer route. Mine had just aluminum fenders on it. After the second set cracked out and needed to be replaced, I was able to get a set of steel fenders and had them covered in bed liner to replace the aluminum ones. aluminum just doesn't flex like steel, it just cracks and breaks. gravel stones beat the piss out of aluminum also.

I've thought about selling my 14ft and buying something bigger so I could haul a skid house behind the ranger but not sure I'm going to go that route. the money spent on a bigger trailer and skid house i could buy a nice permanent house.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
If it wasn't for my need to haul a utility tractor I would go with a 14' aluminum. I currently have a 14' steel (big tex) and tracked ranger fits easily. In fact, I pull it all the way forward and have room to wedge my Otter Lodge behind the ranger. Nice not having to wrestle that heavy bitch in the back of the truck.
thanks for the info!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79