anyone heading

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stocking up for the baiting opener, can't wait. Been hunting bears every year but one since 2005, it has become an addiction so you guys saying that you should give it a try, BE WARNED!!!!!!

For me it really isn't about the shooting of a bear, it is just plain fun. My son loves it, friends I have taken love it and nothing better than setting up a newbie and scaring the shit out of them in the process. Once sprayed fish oil on my friends tree that his stand was in and he had a little bear climbing it all evening. Couldn't hold back laughing when we was telling me about it, luckily it didn't shake him up to bad!

We have some big bear on camera but the largest to date is just over 300# on a scale, that was my son's first bear and on video to boot. The only things I don't like about Minnesota is very little color phase, mainly black and our area produces quite a few chocolates. I wish they would have a spring season, fall baiting can be tough if there is lots of natural food. This year sounds like it could be a banner one for baiting though. The land owner where we hunt says there is very little for berries and nuts.

Anyway, good luck to those heading out - hoping to see some pix.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i also would love to get over on the MN side and shoot a bear, i would be down for a learning process with you guys, i only live about 15 miles from the MN border im pretty much straight west of Oslo i live in Minto, killing a bear with a bow would be super awesome, i filmed a bear hunt but have never been behind the weapon for one

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure where New Ulm is but we hunt the NW portion in the no quota zone. Can buy tags over the counter and no shortage of bear.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
arrowedem. you don't have to go far into MN before getting into decent bear country.

getting things ready here. this will be 27 years in a row i have bear hunted. in all those years, we've only shot 5 that have dressed out in that 400# range. those are a pain in the ass to get out.
personally, i'm starting to like those that dress at 150-200. not to hard to drag out and are some great eating.
these 2 are my biggest. dressed 312 and 318.

hmmm, can't find the other pic??.

this one was 250ish.

here is a 180. perfect eater.
.a

nd heres a "still milk on the lip" late season tag filler:;:rockit

Last edited:

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
bucksnbears - you labeled the one picture a perfect eater. I'm hoping to shoot my first bear in a couple of weeks and have no idea what to do with the meat. Could you share some advice on some of the best ways you've found to prepare it?

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Savage. # 1 is to get it killed FAST. if your after prime meat, don't even bother looking the next morning if shot the night before. the meat will be ruined 90% of the time.

get it gutted and hung up to get it cooled down a.s.a.p. fall bear can be VERY FATTY and that holds in the heat.
what we typically do is hang the bear overnight,skin it in the a.m. and get it to a lockor first thing in the a.m. have always had superb bear meat doing it that way.
we do ours just like beef/deer. chops,roasts,steaks and burger.
i give quite a bit of burger away every year to those that have never eaten it. 95% ask for more.
any cooking method for beef is good for bear but bear tends to be better cooked a bit more well done except for chops. like the about medeum..

good luck this year.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
This time, one week from today, I'll be well on me way to Ontario for fishing/bear! Hard to believe it's that time already.

- - - Updated - - -

Savage. # 1 is to get it killed FAST. if your after prime meat, don't even bother looking the next morning if shot the night before. the meat will be ruined 90% of the time.

get it gutted and hung up to get it cooled down a.s.a.p. fall bear can be VERY FATTY and that holds in the heat.
what we typically do is hang the bear overnight,skin it in the a.m. and get it to a lockor first thing in the a.m. have always had superb bear meat doing it that way.
i give quite a bit of burger away every year to those that have never eaten it. 95% ask for more.
any cooking method for beef is good for bear but bear tends to be better cooked a bit more well done except for chops. like the about medeum..

good luck this year.

Can be excellent or horrible depending on how quick ya can cool it.

One way that everyone seemed to like is I cut it into bite size chunks.....marinated it in Southwest McCormicks for a few hours then roasted it on marshmallow forks over the fire!!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
good luck. take some pics and post them up.

bring Themacell:;:thumbsup

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you bucksnbears! I'll try to get some posted when we get back. Picked up a few extra packs of juice for the Thermacell. I'm guessing it's gonna be pretty ugly. I've never used the mosquito netting over the scent lock, but going to pack it with for sure.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member

good luck this year.

This pretty much sums it up. If taken care of right away it is excellent meat, only thing different is I trim ALL of the fat off, to me it gives it a pasty texture. We actually have taken care of every bear the evening shot, so it is quartered and on ice. One smaller bear we didn't, gutting and placed ice in the cavity and it was good to go till morning.

Knock on doors, you will be surprised how many people will let you hunt. We also have started going later in the season, one you get a little nicer fur and two, the majority of hunters hunt the first long weekend and then the woods are yours. Most if not all the other baits are cleaned up by then, you may have to contend with some bird hunters later on but that is not a big deal either, especially if you get onto private land.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck! Be sure to post some pics when you get back.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well first bait check was very satisfactory, at least in my opinion. Three baits out and all three are being hit. Have 7 different bear hitting two baits, only one little one hitting the third. But they sure seem hungry as they are coming in at all times of day and night.
2015 Bear-0.jpg
2015 Bear1-1.jpg
2015 Bear2-2.jpg
2015 Bear3 white patch-3.jpg
Nice white chest patch on this one, would make a nice half mount?
2015 Bear4-4.jpg
2015 Bear5-5.jpg
2015 Bear6-6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

What is the "Attached Thumbnails" all about? They don't show up on my post?

Attachments

2015 Bear.jpg 2015 Bear1.jpg 2015 Bear2.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89