Framing basement

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you piece together 2x4s for framing basement walls? All walls would be non load bearing walls. Got an abundance of 4-5ft 2x4s I’ve accumulated over the years that could finally be put to use. Not all the studs would be pieced together I’d space them out and have full studs between. Anyone have any experience with this?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep I used a strip of 1/2 plywood on both sides about a ft long and nailed them together. That was 35 years ago and still standing. LB

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would personally glue the plywood or 1x4 used to patch together the 2x4. In the past when I've had floor trusses with large knots, I reinforced them the same way. A little gorilla glue and a few screws/nails go a long way.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotta ask why?

You ain't gonna save any $ by the time you spend glueing/ nailing gussets to the sides. and the time involved doing it.
Save them for window cripples/ sills and header and go get straight 2x4s for the framing.

Purdy much gauretee, if you do that, your gonna end up saying
" W.T.F. was I thinking.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotta ask why?

You ain't gonna save any $ by the time you spend glueing/ nailing gussets to the sides. and the time involved doing it.
Save them for window cripples/ sills and header and go get straight 2x4s for the framing.

" W.T.F. was I thinking.
This!!

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotta ask why?

" W.T.F. was I thinking.
92.5% of my life choices have been “wtf was I thinking” I need to keep the trend in tact til I’m at least 47 🚀🚀

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not so much worried about saving money as I am staring at all the goddamn wood I have around here. Im old school and save everything. It’s not quite hoarding but it’s definitely “your grandpas that save everything” bad. Getting scrap plywood should be easy/free as I work in the trades. I like the idea of using it for cripples/ around windows too but I’ve got enough to do a major portion of walls so wanted to know if it’s plausible and more so if it’s within code.

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Non load bearing no problem see it done many different ways. Do it no problem seen, just make them straight top to bottom use green treat or similar on floors

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever tried using a truss connecting plate? Wonder if that would do the job. Under a buck a plate, granted you'd need 2 per stud.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
you could double the 2X4's and stagger the joints

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be a pain in the azz if you ever wanted to fish the walls to add an outlet or tv wires.
every Engineered wood framing job we do has horizontal framing at 4’ intervals on all exterior walls and some interior schear walls, engineers don’t give a fuck about any trades

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46