Arborists or Spruce Experts?

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for some help on a spruce tree issue. I have tried to get someone out, but everyone is backed up 2-3 weeks and no call back from the city forestry department.

I have tried the Google route and cant seem to self diagnose.

Issue: The top of the tree started to brown about 3 weeks ago. I am now noticing the new growth from this year is also starting to brown further down on the tree. I have looked over the tree pretty good and it seems it is only found on the new growth, or at least the outer and top edges of the tree.

History: 1 of 4 trees in a row (other 3 are doing great). All planted at the same time around 10 years ago. I moved into house 3 years ago and this specific tree has always been underperforming compared to the others. Thinner and maybe 2-3 feet shorter than the others ones.

I did cut off around 3-4 low branches around 4 weeks ago because they were laying on the turf and causing mowing/trimming issues.

They are in a yard with irrigation and the lawn is pretty lush, we have also had some pretty good soaking this summer already so would think ground moisture is ok.

I do have a lawn service come and fertilize and weed spray the turf 4-5 applications a season.

Biggest concern is some insect, fungus, or disease would like to get in front of it before it spreads to other trees. After looking at it last night again, I am leaning more towards a nutrient deficiency.

Thoughts?

Attachments

IMG_0478.jpg IMG_0477.jpg IMG_0480.jpg IMG_0481.jpg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's an interesting one. Might want to hold some paper under an infected area and tap it to see if it's mites. First reaction would be to say it got stressed do to wind burn during the winter or this summer. If it's not a bug the problem is probably in the roots leading to this tree being stressed easier then the others.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 27
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7