Arrow Rest Recommendations

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It looks like voodoo. When watched in slo-mo, the arrow shaft appears to drop slightly as the arms of the rest move away.

I managed to find slow motion footage of the QAD rest and it also drops the arrow shaft slightly. I think you might be on to something with the opposition. Looks like a rad spot-n-stock option.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will vouch for the QAD. Got one and really am pleased with it. I personally wouldn't worry about millemeter arrow drop as long as it is consistent, at the target. As far as other drop away rests I can't say.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can try my opposition out if you'd like.

That'd be neat. I'll touch base with you tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Watch this video. Notice how the arrow tends to ride the arm on the inside of the rest. I feel like this has more to do with bow torque or the alignment of the rest. However, I conclude that it could lead to a less forgiving rest. If I already have an "unforgiving" setup with a 30" ATA, I feel like it'd be stupid to add additional unforgiving variables. Maybe I'm missing something? Somebody point out the flaw in my reasoning. Feel like I'm leaving something out...

- - - Updated - - -

Noise too... feel like the Opposition would be noisy.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try a ripcord ace rest as well. It does everything a qad does and is built tough in Montana.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I had an acquaintance who's an archery pro measure me for an approximate draw length today and it seems I'm some kind of long-armed freak. When I bow hunted years ago I always thought I was about a 29.5" to 30" draw. Seems I'm closer to 31", which means I have a very narrow selection of bows to chose from. When this carbon-fiber Rolls Royce arrow chucker shows up we're going to fiddle with it to see if it can be made to fit but it's not looking good. Titty sprinkle.

(...silver lining: holy schnikes am I going to squeeze velocity out of those arrows with a 31" draw!)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
What keeps people from being bullish on the Schaffer Opposition? I haven't found any negatives with it yet. And it sure locks arrows in nicely for stalking. Just curious.
I used to shoot at his shop in the cities. He has as much personality as one of my dogs fresh chocolate soft serve curls in my backyard.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I had an acquaintance who's an archery pro measure me for an approximate draw length today and it seems I'm some kind of long-armed freak. When I bow hunted years ago I always thought I was about a 29.5" to 30" draw. Seems I'm closer to 31", which means I have a very narrow selection of bows to chose from. When this carbon-fiber Rolls Royce arrow chucker shows up we're going to fiddle with it to see if it can be made to fit but it's not looking good. Titty sprinkle.

(...silver lining: holy schnikes am I going to squeeze velocity out of those arrows with a 31" draw!)

After posting this, I got busy looking for bows that go up to 31". To my pleasant surprise, there are several Hoyts with the z5 cam that will go up to 31", including the Carbon Spyder ZT 34, which is the slightly longer version of the bow I just bought. I tracked down a used model and made the guy an offer. We'll see what I hear back.

I found a lightly used QAD HD Pro Series rest for considerably less than the cost of new and picked it up. If I can find a cheap Scaffer lawn curl I'll probably pick that up too, just for giggles.

Now it's on to sights. That will be a separate thread.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try a ripcord ace rest as well. It does everything a qad does and is built tough in Montana.

This...I've shot the QAD and Ripcord Ace, and will take the Ace over any other rest.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yes you will. I have a friend that shoots a 31.5" draw at 80lbs. I think he flings an arrow weight of 480grains. It sounds like a brick when it hits the target. Just a loud thud, and I think he is still getting something like 330 or 340 fps. I know when he had it chrono'd a year ago the guy at scheels said it's the fastest he'd ever seen for that heavy of an arrow.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes you will. I have a friend that shoots a 31.5" draw at 80lbs. I think he flings an arrow weight of 480grains. It sounds like a brick when it hits the target. Just a loud thud, and I think he is still getting something like 330 or 340 fps. I know when he had it chrono'd a year ago the guy at scheels said it's the fastest he'd ever seen for that heavy of an arrow.

Neat.

I'm definitely not an 80# guy but that's awesome. Located a suitable Carbon Spyder 34 that will accommodate my 31" draw. I now have two awesome bows on the way so I'll have the Hoyt CS 30 posted in the classifieds here in a couple weeks.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would give you an honest reply but that would violate the "no picking on Enslow" rule.

We all run out from time to time. Guywhofishes has the connections for copious amounts of butthurt butter, truffle salt, and shrooms... Just sayin...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88