auto inflatable life jackets -- do they need to worn to count

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
auto inflatable life jackets -- wife got me one ----- do they need to be worn to count and can i guy store em in the boat covy under a tarp

anyboday have any experience with them.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they have to be worn, since i fish alone most of the time i got used to just wearing it when in the boat

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, the last time I read the regs it clearly stated they need to be worn to count.

I've had and used them in the past. SInce we are all of different shapes and sizes, I would strongly recommend trying one on before deciding to buy. Their fit is different and may not be as comfortable as the pics suggest, unless you look like the model in the pic.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
And yes, I've stored mine in the boat and according to the indicator, it was fine even after a couple of years. I think I had to buy a recharge kit for it around year 3, the water-soluble trigger will eventually fall apart on the brand I have.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes. I usually forget I'm even wearing mine. Hardly even notice it's there.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way its stated, if its an auto deploy, they count even if not worn. The manual deploy need to be worn.
If you're in some rough water or it rained while you were fishing, I would store the life jackets in the open air or hang them somewhere. the last thing you'll want is for one to deploy while in a compartment.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are comfy once you get used to them. There have been plenty of times were I forgot I had it on until I jump in my truck to go load the boat. I had one deploy during a hot/humid week when I left it in the boat which was covered. Also had one deploy when I was a dipshit and speared a huge wave and had a wall of water come over the windshield and land on me. Good piece of mind if you are like me and swim like a mentally challenged coot.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
My fishing buddy threw his into a pail of water. Oops. We wear them all the time. Easy to get used to.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some self-inflators are accepted - others aren't. It's quite confusing.

Some self-inflators are inherently buoyant (they float without inflating)

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/CG-ENG-4/PFDSel/

TYPE I PFDS / OFF-SHORE LIFE JACKETS: Best for all waters, open ocean, rough seas, or remote water, where rescue may be slow coming. Abandon-ship lifejacket for commercial vessels and all vessels carrying passengers for hire:

• Inherently Buoyant Type I PFDs - SOLAS Service
  • Inherently Buoyant Type I PFDs - U.S. Service
  • Inflatable Type I PFDs - SOLAS and Domestic
  • Hybrid Type I PFDs - US Services
TYPE II PFDS / NEAR-SHORE BUOYANT VESTS: For general boating activities. Good for calm, inland waters, or where there is a good chance for fast rescue.
:
  • Inherently Buoyant Type II PFDs
  • Inflatable Type II PFDs
  • Hybrid Type II PFDs
TYPE III PFDS / FLOTATION AIDS: For general boating or the specialized activity that is marked on the device such as water skiing, hunting, fishing, canoeing, kayaking and others. Good for calm, inland waters, or where there is a good chance for fast rescue. Designed so that wearing it will complement your boating activities:

• Inherently Buoyant Type III PFDs
  • Inflatable Type III PFDs
  • Hybrid Type III PFDs
TYPE V PFDS / SPECIAL USE DEVICES: Only for special uses or conditions.
See label for limits of use:

• Hybrid Inflatable PFDs
  • Canoe/Kayak Vest
  • Boardsailing Vests
  • Deck Suits
  • Work Vests for Commercial Vessels
  • Commercial Whitewater Vests
  • Man-Overboard Rescue Devices
  • Law Enforcement Flotation Devices
Note: The Coast Guard is working with the PFD community to revise the classification and labeling of PFDs. When completed, this information will be updated and hopefully be somewhat easier to understand. Meanwhile, spending a few minutes to understand the many options available to find a PFD that you’re willing to wear could mean the difference between life and death for you or a loved one.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use the old style cause I swim like an anvil and not chancing new tech with my life, I dont want to win the lifejacket lotto. You know the one-in-a-million that dont work. LB

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
You see the bass guys run and gun and then discard when they cast. You wouldnt think they throw out another life jacket?? But its confusing when you look at the regs. DMs comment makes sense imo. If i have to have it on 100% then its another hanger taken in my closet.

It looks like you can deflate these kinda like a snorkel vest which would be really handy in a emergency situation.

I remember rescuing my kids -- we were snorkeling in key largo and the current sucked. Of course both ofmy kids had to blow up their snorkel vest. They drifted off what seemed miles from the bunch -- they were little but they were good swimmers. The current actually pushed one out and up the coast. The first thing I did was let out all of the air in them so they could actually swim back against the current. Fricken captain was an ass--- blowing his horn like he was going to leave. It would of been a long day if he would of.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88